Installing on Yahoo! Small Business server

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
joom fan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Installing on Yahoo! Small Business server

Post by joom fan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:13 am

I checked with the technical support for Yahoo! Small Business Web Hosting and they informed me that I should be able to install Joomla, with the exception of the .htaccess file.

I ran the installation file for Joomla 1.0.15 and everything seemed to install fine. However, there is nothing but a blank white screen on both the front end and the administrator back end.

I installed and ran the j-diagnostics.php file and it is claiming that all the Joomla files are missing, which is not possible, because they are all installed.

Any suggestions?

zicherd
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Installing on Yahoo! Small Business server

Post by zicherd » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:24 pm

How are you addressing the index files for the front and backend? Did you use a subdirectory? I too am using Yahoo small biz and all appears to be working well except for the register globals being on. Still working on that issue.

lostmic
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by lostmic » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:15 pm

I have had the same problem and now I am reinstalling the whole thing again. My site showed up but I could not access my admin area. So I deleted my data base and also phpMyAdmin. For some reason I don't know if it’s my host yahoo.com that was causing the problem with the index.php not showing. But I have seen this before on other accounts with yahoo, that, the index where not showing up and after about an hour or so it was back. This would be my 3rd time installing Joomla again after the index.php where not even showing up for installation. So I FTP up all my files again and now it shows the installation process again. Hopefully my admin will show up this time. Also one thing I do not like about yahoo is that you can’t hide your domain name, this could also be the problem why everything stopped working was because I had to make a subfolder for Joomla, and on the address bar it says "your site/subfolder" and I did not like that so I move all my files to the root folder and after that nothing worked, tried moving it back nothing.
Sorry for the bad English.

riversofbelief
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by riversofbelief » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:37 pm

Some Help for anyone researching this going forward specific to Yahoo Business...

Years ago I successfully installed Joomla 1.5 into the root directory of my domain on a Yahoo Business host. It is still there today (fieldsunravelled.com.) I haven't done much with it - it was a learning site for me. If you go there you will note that their is no subdirectory when you browse there.

Last year I began building some new business sites, again on Yahoo because I already had experience using their web hosting console and had an established account.

I tried to install Joomla 1.7 into the root of my new domain, circuitexchange.com, and had problem after problem getting the installation page to run. As others have said, the index page which should have shown the Joomla installation instructions failed and showed a white page.

I decided to try a few other installs, but wanted to leave my root alone until I figured everything out, and the SUBDIRECTORY installations worked! So I went back and deleted everything in the root, tried again, and failed again.

In the end, however Yahoo Business has their security settings configured, it won't allow the necessary files to be created in the root that it WILL allow in a subdirectory. Most likely the .htaccess file is the culprit, but any file starting with a . won't be allowed in the root.

In the end, there is a fundamental conflict with Yahoo Business putting all of it's clients in the same environment and trying to prevent security issues, and the way Joomla now handles their installation and security.

If you want Joomla in the domain root folder (no /subdir in the path) then you will have to pick a different host. Best to discuss this with the host before you jump so you KNOW it will work.

TJ

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”