Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
lwalper
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Post by lwalper » Tue May 15, 2007 10:52 pm

I've read 6 pages of posts and have yet to find the link to the file everyone has described as wonderful, must read.

Post 29 appears to be the key, but where's the file?
My mistake, forgot to set file type to binary while uploading. Anyway found a new solution (too bad I found this option just now  ) it seems to be possible to attach files to a post... so I did. Hope the download problems are gone forever....
Is the file attached somewhere?

edit**********

Well, lo and behold, there it was on post #1 -- even after all the "I can't find it," "links don't work" -- there it was. Hoooweee. If the installation is half as tough as finding that file, I'm on easy street.
Last edited by lwalper on Tue May 15, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webmonater
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by webmonater » Wed May 16, 2007 7:11 pm

ChiefGoFor wrote: Log into the administrator and go into the "Global Configuration". Click the "SEO" tab and then set "Search Engine Friendly URLs" to "No" and save. Then, try to navigate your site. If that works, let me know and then I will talk you through making the URLs friendly again. Chances are that the htaccess file did not get copied over (but, we will discuss that after you reply) :)
Hi ChiefGoFor,

I have a problem with SEO I have turned it on and I have renamed the .htaccess, but when I click on links it says that there is no such page. What shell I do to fix this?

qcjocks.com
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by qcjocks.com » Thu May 17, 2007 7:16 pm

:-\

I have never been on this site and never heard of it until today. I was directed here (joomla.org) by a friend after I told him I was about to pay a local web site designer $4000 to build my site. I have my domain names from GoDaddy and I was reading through some of this to see if using Joomla was something I am capable of doing.

I have to say I am VERY intimidated by all of this information. Does a soccer mom have a chance at wading through all of this stuff and getting a site done on her own?!! I would like an honest opinion. I am able to navigate the web. I am able to use some Microsoft stuff Word, Power Point, Excel (limited) and I am not an idiot. But Does someone with little or no knowledge or site building have a chance at doing this and not wanting to shoot their computer? I have a short fuse, so am I better paying someone or should I jump on into the waters?!

Half of the things being discussed in the comments on this page are like Chineese to me. What's an IP? What is LINUX? What the heck?!!

Pay someone or try? You tell me.

ChiefGoFor
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by ChiefGoFor » Sat May 19, 2007 4:50 pm

webmonater wrote:
ChiefGoFor wrote: Log into the administrator and go into the "Global Configuration". Click the "SEO" tab and then set "Search Engine Friendly URLs" to "No" and save. Then, try to navigate your site. If that works, let me know and then I will talk you through making the URLs friendly again. Chances are that the htaccess file did not get copied over (but, we will discuss that after you reply) :)
Hi ChiefGoFor,

I have a problem with SEO I have turned it on and I have renamed the .htaccess, but when I click on links it says that there is no such page. What shell I do to fix this?
Can you post a link to your site?
Joomla! ...because open source matters
"Try to answer two questions for every one question you ask." - Me

panagiotis13
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by panagiotis13 » Mon May 21, 2007 9:13 am

I am so confused. I am reading posts about this for 3 days. Here is the situation: I want to install joomla on my godaddy linux hosting. Everything works fine, but when i want to access my website, i get the following error:

Code: Select all

Warning: main(/joomla/includes/version.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/m/i/l/miliste/html/includes/joomla.php on line 71

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '/joomla/includes/version.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/content/m/i/l/miliste/html/includes/joomla.php on line 71
I have changed the php.ini file, so register globals are the way the joomla installer wants them to be. (the pre-install check of joomla installer had no red indications when i installed joomla)

I have tried everything. I have little experiance on this stuff, and i will really use some help.

Thank you
Panagiotis
Nicosia - Cyprus
http://www.websitecy.com

webmonater
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by webmonater » Mon May 21, 2007 4:34 pm

ChiefGoFor wrote: Can you post a link to your site?
It is:
http://www.turkey4life.com/index.php

molarszbt18
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by molarszbt18 » Tue May 22, 2007 5:11 am

I am new to this so i am sorry if I come off dumb.  I know HTML pretty well but never used anything like this.  I have Joomla installed and its working fine.  My issue is:
a) How do I get a "template" to work and not replace the admin portion/portal of joomla?  as in my old index.html still exsists, how do I swap that for what this has to offer?
b) just some basics would be great!
c) the editing tool for my users doesnt get any better!!

philwebsupport
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by philwebsupport » Wed May 23, 2007 6:19 am

it so nice but the mod note!!

Mod Note: I am making this topic a sticky for now but I suggest you submit your topic to the faqs forum

;D ;)
http://philwebsupport.com/
Affordable Web Site Design and Development, SEO Services and more

rsavoia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rsavoia » Thu May 24, 2007 4:08 pm

I found this thread while searching for answer to a database issue. I need help.

About nine months ago I set up a Joomla site on GoDaddy. I had never worked with either GoDaddy or Joomla before and in my haste to get the site online utilized their earlier version of their auto install tools (what is now Metropolis). I found out after the fact that I could not access their virtual database. Once I became educated in the the disadvantages of using their economy install method I attempted to fix the problem by purchasing a second account, setting up one of the 10 databases on it, installing Joomla manually, manually entering all the content on the first site into the second because the virtual database was not accessible (Yes, I really did), investing in JoomlaCloner, cloned the entire site and new database, created a new database using the 10 databases on the original site and, using JoomlaCloner, ported the backup from the second site back to the first site.

I thought I now had everything in the Joomla database I created on the site and all was well. Apparently not.

I installed Fireboard 1.0.1 and due to an issue with the build I was required to access the database and make a modification. Unfortunately, when I logged into the database I found it empty!

Further investigation revealed that the database actually had not ported over and the Joomla site was still working off the virtual database! During the last few months I added quite a bit of content and members, including Admins who are assisting me with the creation of the content. I cannot afford to lose it.

Using JoomlaCloner I backed up the database only and attempted to port it into the Joomla database I created for it. Unfortunately it would not unpack the backup file to import it automatically so after about eight hours of searching forums I decided to import the file manually. I did and it is there.

Now, the question. How do I correctly point my Joomnla installation to this database and away from the virtual one?

I am concerned about losing permissions but I am also concerned about missing something that will either corrupt the new and/or current database or will cause data to be mixed up between the two.

Essentially what I did was leave my Joomla files on the domain but moved my database from the GoDaddy virtual database server to a new MYSQL database on my hosting account. What do I need to do to point my Joomla site to this new database?

I would greatly appreciate a fast answer. I am already a couple of days behind a scheduled launch and I spent a day doing nothing but dealing with the database. I am running out of time because I took off work to do this and I cannot afford to mess around with it anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by rsavoia on Thu May 24, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Savoia
Host of The Force Field
A podcast for IT Service Providers
http://www.theforcefield.net

rsavoia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rsavoia » Fri May 25, 2007 3:20 am

To follow up I attempted to edit the configuration.php file and broke the site. Fortunately I had a backup of the file and restored it. The problem is I am not sure what I am missing.

I know that to point Joomla to the new database I need to change the database information in configuration.php. But because my site was originally setup on GoDaddy using their free tools and virtual database the configuration.php file in their setup does not match one in a typical Joomla install.

Generally a proper configuration.php file will contain these lines near the top of the script.
$mosConfig_user = 'joomla_joomla';
$mosConfig_password = 'password';
$mosConfig_db = 'joomla_joomla';
$mosConfig_absolute_path = '/home/joomla/public_html';
$mosConfig_live_site = 'http://www.joomla.org';
$mosConfig_cachepath = '/your absolute path/cache';
But in my configuration.php file these six lines are mixed in throughout the file. In addition the password is encrypted, not typed in clear text. There is also an additional line called 'secret' that contains a secret phrase that is also encrypted. This creates a logistical problem since the standard configuraton.php file contains none of that.

If anyone else hosts with GoDaddy and understands what I am talking about I could sure use some guidance right now. I would really appreciate it.
Last edited by rsavoia on Fri May 25, 2007 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Savoia
Host of The Force Field
A podcast for IT Service Providers
http://www.theforcefield.net

bjmhistory
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Receiving Incorrect username and password error

Post by bjmhistory » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:48 pm

I am receiving an error stating incorrect username and password during install to secureserver MYSQL database.

Any ideas? I correctly typed them.

rofaldez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rofaldez » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:17 pm

you problably made a mistake by typing the wrong username and db.

If its still the wrong1, create a new database and username.
(: The Internet As I See It  :)
http://www.rofaldez.com/

bjmhistory
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bjmhistory » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:14 pm

I created a new database etc. Still receiving the same error message. Any idea what could be causing this?

rofaldez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rofaldez » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:36 pm

are you installing joomla on jur local computer or on the host server on the internet. I would advice you to reinstall joomla. And delete your previous testing database and create another.

decoy1
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by decoy1 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:24 am

Supposing I've made a Joomla site on my local pc and want to ftp the entire Joomla directory to the root directory and then install the database. Will I have to type http://www.mysite.com/Joomla/index.php? or can I just type in the domain name?

Do I have to do any voodoo to redirect the index.php file in the Joomla dir to the root?

Thanks

rofaldez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rofaldez » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:38 pm

Afer you have tested your joomla site on jur local PC with a testing database and you think that the site is up and ready to go live. You should extract files of the joomla.rar(zip) (all that it contains) on your hosting space. After that just type in your DOMAIN name. It will automatically redirect you to install.php to install joomla on your hosting space. :) Ok, have a great day testing.

kpahl
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Go Daddy Installs Joomla! Itself!!!!

Post by kpahl » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:30 pm

This instruction manual is GREAT!  :D  I was fed up with trying to figure it out and every time I would ftp files the process would hang and I'd have to stop and start over.  It was a pain.  >:( 

Then, I just happened to click on the Metropolis link in my go daddy control panel, and lo and behold.......they will do the install for you!!!!!  Here is the link below....it was SOOOOOOOO easy!!!!!

https://hostingmetropolis.com/Home.aspx

rofaldez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rofaldez » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:10 pm

I dont know if it must do that..de link just redirected me to my godaddy sign-in account.
Theres nothing so special about it.

kpahl
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kpahl » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:15 pm

Oops!  I guess you need to be signed into go daddy, sorry!  Just sign in and go to your hosting control panel.  Then go to "content" and click on the Metropolis icon.  It's so easy even a caveman could do it!  :laugh:

rofaldez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rofaldez » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:37 pm

THX..very usefull. Its so easy... i wonder if the caveman know where to click:)
For all Joomla Users..this is very easy. Just a couple of steps to install the CMS completely, i think.
I havent finished the installation cause my domain its already been installed with wordpress.

A question, i have made a subdomain on my website http://www.mysite.com/pata
Can on this subdomain  also installed  by metropolis.com so easily??
I think it can only be installed on registered domain...maybe??

graphi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by graphi » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:55 am

Installation Joomla Step 4
"Don't forget to delete the installation directory for security reasons and to start using Joomla"
I don't recall doing that!
Maybe I already did but the site works OK and I'm using it.

Where should I check? I don't want to accidentally delete my site.
Thanks

Lou1024
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Lou1024 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:32 pm

No idea what im doing, need some help.  How do I install Joomla?  I uploaded with the FTP client, where do I go from there?                                     

losedude
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by losedude » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:37 pm

LIFE SAVER is all I can say, thanks for taking the time to make this, I couldn't get Joomla to work on GoDaddy for ages.

JGMaples
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by JGMaples » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:47 pm

Sorry for my ignorance, but I have downloaded the Installation Manual. I am at the step that requires me to Unzip or Unrar the Joomla package to a directory on your local computer...I need someone to hold my hand and explain step by step how to go through this process as I do not know anything that I am doing in this regard...

Jonathan Maples
amu0373 wrote: As I wanted to install Joomla on my GoDaddy hosting account I search this forum to find some kind of instructions. The only information I found let me to believe it was quite hard to install Joomla on GoDaddy servers with a lot of issues, but since I already had my domains hosted at GoDaddy I wanted to first try to get a Joomla installation working before making drastic decisions and chance providers.

Eventually I turned out that it was not only easy to install Joomla on a GoDaddy server but it worked very well too.

I wanted to share this information with the Joomla community so I decided to write some kind of manual on how to install Joomla on GoDaddy hosting account.

My main reasons for choosing GoDaddy as my preferred provider are that they very cheap, provide a lot of disk space (cheapest hosting account is 5000MB for only $3.95 per month) and their support is superb! Of cause this is my opinion.

Anyway, the manual is attached to this post, I hope it is helpful and appreciated:

Update, Oct 12. 2006: You need to be logged in to see the attachment!

Alex.

Mod Note: I am making this topic a sticky for now but I suggest you submit your topic to the faqs forum

Polarcat
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Polarcat » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:20 pm

I have a question? I have installed the Joomla thru Godaddy metro. when I go to the Joomla page there a no pics or links shown (only boxes with red X) and there is no tool bar across the top in the admin section?

here is the way we have it set up. we currently have a site up and running with a godaddy domain name on someone elses servers. we are setting up a new site with a godaddy hosting it. the servers for the time being are pointed at my current site/server.
godaddy gave me a dedicated IP so we can post to it and fine tune the site before making the switch of the servers.

What I dont understand is why the pics and stuff are not showing up. this also is happening with the SMF forums that I uploaded from godaddy metro.

any suggestions?

ScabbyUK
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ScabbyUK » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:50 pm

Sorry for bursting the bubble here but yes godaddy are cheep! but, and a big but! If you intend to design a site and know in advance which mods you are using I would check out their requirements before you start.

I found very big holes in hostingdude.com's set-up. Hostingdude is a subsidiary hosting provider of godaddy and I would expect using the same servers. For example I wanted to use a mod MMS blog,  which provided users with the ability to send a SMS to the site!  no problem, install it and find out it wasn't working. After what seemed like an age of reading I found out that the culprit was an extension for php called IMAP and it wasn't installed. I went through an endless barage of emails to the support who to be honest I don't think they knew what the hell I was on about.

But this didn't end there, when I delved into it further there were quite a few php add-ons missing from their hosting and without their help you cannot install them.

In my case the IMAP extension handles the emails remotely so I started to wonder what else didn't work right and then I realised. The mass email wasn't working, which means the normal email isn't either, you have to use php and a host of other problems I cannot remember right now.
When when I tried downloading another email COM or MOD still they would not work because of this one add-on missing and their indifference to help me.!!!!!

I was stuck! They wouldn't help, and I could do NOTHING!  Joomla does NOT work properly on their servers! but you won't find that out till you already have your site set up and registered users start complaining.

if anyone can
Last edited by ScabbyUK on Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scab's

davemclane
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by davemclane » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:45 pm

Multiple session_id's after moving Joomla

I originally installed Joomla 1.0.12 on a shared host (with http://www.bluewho.com) where I don't have root access and it worked OK. But I wanted more control of the permissions so I moved it to a virtual dedicated server (with http://www.godaddy.com) where I do have root access. While the Back End works OK, each time a Front End page is loaded a new session_id is generated. I've tried everything I could think of and the problem persists ...

## Working Joomla version
http://www.30minutesouzai.com/joomla
Script showing current jos_session table:
http://www.30minutesouzai.com/admin/tes ... p?do=check

Each time you reload the Front Page or go to another page, the session_id remains the same except for the time.

## NOT Working Newslog version:
http://68.178.191.148/newslog (domain yet to be registered)
Script showing current jos_session table:
http://68.178.191.148/admin/test-mysql.php?do=check

Each time you reload the Front Page or go to another page, a new session_id is generated ... so far so good but if you try and login, the logged in session_id is superseded by another session_id and the Front End shows you NOT logged in while the Back End shows you ARE logged in.

## Installation details
Both installations are on Linux, although slightly different versions.

Joomla installation database was first created with CPanel. Newslog installation database was first created with phpMyAdmin.

The two PHP's have slightly different settings but I've corrected all of the errors except for Newslog version which show "magic_quotes_gpc setting is `OFF` instead of `ON`".
Joomla php.ini is here:
http://www.30minutesouzai.com/admin/test-php.ini.php
Newslog php.ini is here:
http://68.178.191.148/admin/test-php.ini.php

Thanks for any help you can give me.

============[ Update ]============

I went over to the local library this morning to help people get up to speed and had a chance to try the Newslog version from T1 line there. Surporise: it work OK with IE 7.

When I came home I retested with the following:

Win IE 7 OK
Win Firefox 2.0.0.4 OK
Mac IE 5.2 OK
Mac Firefox 2.0.0.4 OK
Mac Safari 3.0.2 Fail

I had been using Safari as it worked better with http://www.godaddy.com but I see I should have tested the installation with other browsers as well. Since I'm expecting a reasonable number of Safari users, I'm going to hold off on using Joomla.
Last edited by davemclane on Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWDepot
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Post by BWDepot » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:20 am

I recently received the email below from GoDaddy and cannot figure out what happened. I am fairly new to Joomla and appreciate any help. Whatever it is they removed has now disabled my fireboard. Called and they said it was the header and $header files they removed and that the forum probably referenced them and this is why the forums don't work now! My site is BluewaterDepot.com  Below is the email they sent me.

Our support staff has responded to your request, details of which are described below:

Discussion Notes
Support Staff Response
Dear Sir/Madam,

It has come to our attention that you have been running a vulnerable generic .PHP script which has allowed multiple BOTNETs to upload malicious content as far back as June 17, 2007. We have had the vulnerable script disabled and malicious content removed.

Please let us know if we can help you in any other way.

Regards,

Advanced Hosting Support

dclee99
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dclee99 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:57 am

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my share hosting sites with godaddy over to virtual dedicated service.
I did not have any problem with fontend or backend.

I would suggest you check:
configuration.php
.htaccess
CHMOD

davemclane wrote: Multiple session_id's after moving Joomla

DC Consulting
www.dcllc.us

cipcip
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cipcip » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:49 pm

thank you so much ... i have godaddy hosting too ... and i couldn`t get it to work ...

now i hope i will ... thanks a million ... you are the best ...  8) 8) 8)

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”