Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
mavarsim
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Post by mavarsim » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks... I appreciate :)
If I have ever helped U or even if I haven't (The Joomla! Masters) U can indirectly support my education. Plz link me from Ur site or add me to Ur Blogroll or both. I desperately need it. Anchor Text: Web Hosting , URL - http://hostingwebsitecoupons.com

vegansgreen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vegansgreen » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:16 pm

k4lch wrote:for completed sites make sure all files transfered and that you have the correct info for database and paths.
Thanks for responding. Can you please elaborate on what you mean? After I transfer all my files up to GoDaddy, do I need to redo all my internal links?

Thanks for you help

twister86
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by twister86 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:38 pm

k4lch wrote:Hi DDeJesus
open your site using a FTP program click on the joomla directory select all copy the files and directories to you root directory then edit configuration.php
$mosConfig_absolute_path
$mosConfig_cachepath
$moConfig_Livesite
the path will look something like this
$mosConfig_absolute_path ='/home/content/x/x/x/xxxsite/html/joomla'; <--remove /joomla
same for the others save it site should be up and running from root
Hello thanks for the tip. I followed your instuctions im using the go daddy unlimited shared hosting package. with 1.5.14. I installed joomla though the go daddys application page. Everything is working fine apart from when i login through www.mysite/administrator its redirecting me to my other site hosted on go daddys server. Im not sure whats going on. The steps i took was . Go into the config php file and removed (joomla) in my case it was (home). I have to sites with go daddy and whats happening is say for instance i log into my first website its redirecting me to the 2nd website. This is happening both ways when i login to either website. I will be really happy if you can help me with this. I was up till 4am trying to figure it out and still no luck. I now hava a clean server now i have just deleted everything and i going to start fresh. The problem is with godaddy is the first joomla installation works fine. (example) www.mysite.com . I removed the joomla root directory. But then when i try to install another one it says . There is already a path using this direcory. So then my only only option is to have something like www.mysite.com/home. I do not like this for a few reasons firstly because of the seo rankings and second its just really annoying trying to login to the backend of joomla. plus i have like over 100 domain names. so im running out of words to use . this means all my websites are going to be like www.mysite.com/home
www.mysite.com/joomla

PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION PLEASE HELP ME IM PULLING MY HAIR OUT HERE.

THANKS

h2ocello
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by h2ocello » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi Twister86,

I take it you have two websites in the same server package through GoDaddy. Is that correct?

You say you have a lot of domain names, so this probably isn't a solution, but I thought I'd send this just in case because your issue sounded like it's a GoDaddy instead of Joomla.

Click: Hosting > My Hosting Account > Manage Account
Then click: Settings > Domain Management

Look at the domain you're having the issue with. Is the Domain Name you're having the problem with pointing to the right folder? If you have your second website in a subfolder of your first website, you need to point the second domain name to that subfolder.

If that doesn't help hopefully someone can post a reply that will help you out.

twister86
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by twister86 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:33 pm

h2ocello wrote:Hi Twister86,

I take it you have two websites in the same server package through GoDaddy. Is that correct?

You say you have a lot of domain names, so this probably isn't a solution, but I thought I'd send this just in case because your issue sounded like it's a GoDaddy instead of Joomla.

Click: Hosting > My Hosting Account > Manage Account
Then click: Settings > Domain Management

Look at the domain you're having the issue with. Is the Domain Name you're having the problem with pointing to the right folder? If you have your second website in a subfolder of your first website, you need to point the second domain name to that subfolder.

If that doesn't help hopefully someone can post a reply that will help you out.
Thats really strange i have just figured it out right now. Lituraly just this second, thanks for your post. That was my problem. I must say go daddy was really helpfull towards me. Im still quite new to go daddy i was with 1&1 but i had to leave them because of my phone bill calling there 0871 number. Plus other issues like the language barrier. Go daddy was great they had my problem fixed in under 10 minutes and explained it to me in plain english which was great compard to 1&1 who have me on the phone for 3 hours then hang up. (very annoying) Im very impressed with the help from this forum and go daddy. I will definitely be using this forum again. Thanks

Ok so in my case heres what i did.

I went into domain management and clicked the little pencil icon, then changed this to
/domain1

Then for my second domain
/domain2

This will then create the folders you need on your server ..

Then go to your my applications and install joomla on the domain you wish to run joomla on. I think by default the field says (joomla) Just delete that. Leave it blank and the joomla install should work perfectly.

If anyone else has any problems with this just let me know and i will be happy to help.
The main thing to remember is to delete the field which says (joomla) But you must create folders first.
Thats how you end with urls like mysite.com/joomla/administrator

t2daizzo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by t2daizzo » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:03 am

k4lch, I saw your post. Thank you again for your contributions to the forum.

I noticed in my php configuration file there was no $mod... variable listed.
should I manually place them?
I too am having problems after uploading the Joomla site to godaddy-- godaddy is not my choice , but joomlaPack rocks btw.
I chose the windows option and maybe shoulda went Linux ...
My simple rss feed reader shows "r-w" errors and I can't read zip files in my install/uninstall ....

anysight would be great

t2daizzo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by t2daizzo » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:04 am

I'm a php newbie by the way

astansifer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by astansifer » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:43 pm

Question : does anyone know how to have multiple hosting accounts listed on Joomla?

t2daizzo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by t2daizzo » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:35 am

Update:

BTW, I switched to linux hosting on godaddy everything works fine except a couple .gifs with bad pointing links in virtueMart - im working on that .

I also had to make a few corrections in the htaccess file ,like uncommenting the "rewrite" line" [this was mainly to get virtueMart to work correctly

T

nickholso
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nickholso » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:12 pm

I have experienced the same. Definately slower than other hosts i changed my host and it works better.

enumoran
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by enumoran » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:05 pm

Have the same problem.
But does not have a chance to change the host. :-\

joncrane
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by joncrane » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:26 pm

Great guide, thanks! I knew it was the right way to go to use GoDaddy, their cheapest hosting plan, and Joomla!

There are some updates to how GoDaddy's hosting manager->MySQL databases sequence works, and of course the current release of Joomla is 1.15 but I was able to muddle my way through.

Thanks!

Jenn2133
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jenn2133 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:04 pm

I am trying to upload my first Joomla! site to Go Daddy Linux Economy Hosting and am having trouble with an "internal server error" upon restoring the data base.

The error log reads "ERROR 1050 (42S01) at line 28: Table 'bak_banner' already exists". The folks at Go Daddy are saying that I should edit the data base to ignore existing tables, but I don't know how to do that!! HELP!!

rodneyaltam
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rodneyaltam » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:30 am

This is excellent work. Great work amu0373 for the tutorial. This is very helpful for me in setting up my mutiple sites in my Godaddy account.

Keep sharing bro.....

:-)

dadosp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dadosp » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:25 pm

Hello,

Desperately need your help, I will explode! My client have godaddy hosting solution Linux, Shared Hosting, Hosting Configuration:2.1 , PHP 5.x, Disk Space Allotment:150,000 MB and I try to install Joomla and when I upload Joomla files on server and I get Internal Server Error 500 The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Also client have 2 domain on this hosting. first one is primary and on second I need to install Joomla. Also I need to upload Joomla files in folder for example http://www.primarydomain.com/joomladomain where is joomladomain folder for this second domain where its need to be Joomla installation.

Please help me!

Also can I use some quick install for Joomla, did have this script godaddy hosting?
http://www.vplug.loviribolov.org
http://www.webdesign.loviribolov.org/ Web Design - CMS - Joomla - Elxis - Css - HTML

aamedya
I've been banned!

Post by aamedya » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:23 am

check your .htacces to see if the rewrite conditions are uncommented
remove the # from in front of them. also if using one of the sef components purge the sef urls and rebuild them.

I have a included a copy of the htaccess file that works
http://www.dedikmi.com http://lyricsparoles.com deyince.com dreamdictionarymeaning.com

dadosp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dadosp » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:36 pm

Thanks for replay, I contact technical support and problem was cgi, now is only PHP5.x
http://www.vplug.loviribolov.org
http://www.webdesign.loviribolov.org/ Web Design - CMS - Joomla - Elxis - Css - HTML

voscom
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by voscom » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:24 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This was just what I was looking for my Godaddy server.

Great Work!!!!!!
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

vfn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vfn » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:47 am

I just uploaded via Filezilla all my files from the localhost (the entire Joomla15 file) to GoDaddy (I had already installed Joomla at GD) and then moved all the uploaded Main Directory files to the root file. The problem arises with the other files left in the root:Changelog.php, configuration.php, configuration.php-dist, copyright.php, and other php: index.php, install, index2, credits....

When I moved these and tried to put in my own uploaded ones, the site would not come up. For example, my configuration.php has paths such as:
var $log_path = 'C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\joomla15\\logs';
var $tmp_path = 'C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\joomla15\\tmp';

What do I do here??

The GD created data for Configuration.php has all the var host, and username, and password data, plus var $live_site =.......

I can't just change the log and tmp paths...
The Extensions I uploaded locally are also nonexistent, and all the data is most likely there, but the directing to that data is compromised.

Any ideas as I really don't want to have to redo the entire site

vfn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vfn » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:49 pm

In the end, I just used the "JoomlaPack", now known as Akeeba Backup, and it was all almost automatic. I had already transferred all my files via Filezilla and was looking to get the data transferred. I don't know how it would have worked without the previously transferred files (I assume it would have), but this saved me a lot of time! Follow this link here, as she explains it Step-by-Step: http://zensamarketing.com/2009/07/how-t ... g-account/

Good Luck!

BTW GoDaddy shared servers are very, very slow to load, if they do....., but I think that's their point at $4.99/month, right?

vfn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vfn » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:40 am

Put together another site using the GD installed Joomla and created the site there...it was a breeze, no uploading problems, etc.... The only problem came at the end with the log and tmp paths, but that is covered elsewhere.

To speed up the site performance I made sure to choose the Linux based servers...much faster. I also switched my other sites to run on the Linux platform through GD and now they are all running decently (notice I didn't say fast!).

machineland
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by machineland » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:40 pm

Hello all I can't seem to get past the FTP Configuration: screen (step5) as I'm such a newb to Joomla...I'm sure it is because I'm entering the wrong information on this screen...however...am I suppose to have setup some kind of FTP off my main FTP?

machineland
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by machineland » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:19 pm

Never mind I got past the ftp...

PNDK
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by PNDK » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:50 am

Great tutorial. Thx for sharing.

apocanhi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by apocanhi » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:33 am

Thank You ! ;)

saar2003
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by saar2003 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:55 pm

machineland wrote:Never mind I got past the ftp...
We might have the same problem :\
how did you pass this step?

chand9
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chand9 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:39 am

I'm about to try your tutorial now, when I'm successful, I'll mail you the link. Hopefully you still need it or it's still somehow useful.
Thanks,
Chandra

ahm34
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ahm34 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:30 pm

nice sharing .

cytec
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cytec » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Fantastic guide! Thanks :)

hurleysltd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hurleysltd » Thu May 23, 2013 6:06 am

The main issue with Godaddy is usually with the .htaccess file. The best thing to do if you have time is ask them to install a joomla on a subdomain, copy the htaccess file and use it with your joomla site.
Also make sure the permissions in the root are correct and that the htaccess file in there does not restrict your site.

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”