Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Uh-Oh
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Post by Uh-Oh » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:57 pm

To get access to your MySQL on GoDaddy go to your hosting manager/control panel. There should be an icon that says "MySQL" click it. It wants a username and password. Enter those and your in. You can also create your own databases from the same icon.

hollywood
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hollywood » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:08 pm

I know I'm missing something because I've changed the code in globals.php. 

define( 'RG_EMULATION', 0 );

this sets register_globals = 0

This should also be added to the manual I'm thinking...
Uh-Oh wrote: Open your server in an ftp. Find the file "globals.php" open it using a text editor (anyone should do).

Change "register_globals 1" to "register_globals 0"

That will fix the problem :)
Softwired - Content Management Websites with Joomla!
http://www.softwiredweb.com

Follow: http://twitter.com/tonysova

eratl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Need help with install on GoDaddy

Post by eratl » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:09 am

I managed to create the Mysgl database on GoDaddy's Lenux server.  I first downloaded the Joomla files to my desktop.  Then I extracted them on to my desktop and used Ws_ftp to upload the files one by one into my root directory.  I have no idea how to open the files.  The instructions on the wonderful pdf file were helpful however, when I get to the installation stage, I am lost.  The instructions say to go back to my domain and call up the files.  I'm not sure where the heck to go or what to do.  I should note this is the first time I have ever used a CMS.  I usually build static pages.

If someone experienced in setting this up on GoDaddy's servers can take a look or may be willing to install this for me and tell me how to access it and get to work building a site, I'd be most grateful.  I can provide login and create a temporary password to enable you to look over the files. I think this may take a while since I am new to CMS so any help getting it up and running so I can start site design would be appreciated.
Last edited by eratl on Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

eratl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Let GoDaddy Install and Uninstall Joomla-Works Much Better

Post by eratl » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:31 pm

pacificwar wrote: I thought I had a successful installation, but when I hit go to website I received a fatal error.
Is there anything I can do now?
Can I remove the installation and re-try it?
I tried copying the Joomla .tar files (zipped files) to my desktop then copying them one by one into a folder I created on the GoDaddy Linux server.  I never could gain access to the site. I had already created a MYsql database and followed all the steps in the GoDaddy install manual someone created and posted in this forum. I couldn't get anything to work going that route.

I discovered a simple way to install Joomla on the GoDaddy server.  Open your  site's control panel after logging into your site on GoDaddy.  You will see a folder called Metropolois.  That site takes you to a page where you can get downloads already formatted to load and uninstall on GoDaddy servers.  One of those add-ons is Joomla.  You can let GoDaddy install it for you and it will show you the progress in real time ie., when your Mysql database has been formatted properly, when it's loading Joomla, and whether or not the install was successful.  You have the option of installing it into a folder under your root directory which is / or a Joomla folder or to giving the folder another name.

I tried installing it into a Joomla folder which is the default folder but to get my test install page to come up so I could login, I had to go to htt://mysite.joomla to get into the administration panel. So I uninstalled it from the Metropolis site uninstall.  Then I reinstalled it into my root  directory / and the test/verification page came right up and I was able to log into the administration panel.

One thing about installing from Metropolis within the GoDaddy control panel:  You will be dealing with a lot of passwords and usernames.  You have to have your account # and password to access your GoDaddy control panel.  Then when you go to Metropolis and start intsalling Joomla from that page, you will need a name for your database (anything you wanta call it).  Creating the Mysql database is done automatically with the Metropolis/GoDaddy Joomla install.  Write the name of the MYsql database down, along with the password. Then you will need a username and password for accessing Joomla. The password for getting into Joomla's admin/control panel must be the same password that you use to ftp files/pages to your GoDaddy Linux server.

The usernames and passwords for the database and Joomla are sensitive.  They must begin with or include a capital letter and include at least one number. The limit is 16 characters.

In short, GoDaddy has already worked out the details of installing Joomla and other decent tools and modules on the Metropolis page.  Install it directly from there into your root directory (or other) and you'll save a lot of time and headache.  Mine works decently but I'll still struggling with how to organize the site sections, access, and modify them.  Nonethless, it's installed and just a matter of me learning where to go to change headings, modify pages, create navigation and other functions.

Eratl

craigsanatomy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by craigsanatomy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:54 pm

Can anyone help me?  I had Joomla installed on a subdirectory within my site (so that I could keep my old site running while installing joomla).  So I had it at: http://www.mydomain.com/main/joomla.&nbsp; Now I want to move it back to: http://www.mydomain.com.

I tried simply copying the old /joomla folder's contents to my desktop, and then loading them into the main directory at mydomain.com.  That worked for my homepage, but when you click on any of the content, menus, etc it all cannot be found.

Also, when I click on content, for instance, it says "mydomain.com/content/view/17/2/" cannont be found.  However, I don't have a content folder within my joomla site???

Your help is much appreciated (and yes I am running a godaddy server).

ChiefGoFor
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by ChiefGoFor » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:07 pm

craigsanatomy wrote: Can anyone help me?  I had Joomla installed on a subdirectory within my site (so that I could keep my old site running while installing joomla).  So I had it at: http://www.mydomain.com/main/joomla.&nbsp; Now I want to move it back to: http://www.mydomain.com.
This FAQ should help: http://help.joomla.org/component/option ... temid,268/
craigsanatomy wrote: Also, when I click on content, for instance, it says "mydomain.com/content/view/17/2/" cannont be found.  However, I don't have a content folder within my joomla site???
You are correct, there is no "content" folder in Joomla!'s root directory. This is part of the "Search Engine Friendly" URL feature in Joomla!. Try this:
Log into the administrator and go into the "Global Configuration". Click the "SEO" tab and then set "Search Engine Friendly URLs" to "No" and save. Then, try to navigate your site. If that works, let me know and then I will talk you through making the URLs friendly again. Chances are that the htaccess file did not get copied over (but, we will discuss that after you reply) :)
Joomla! ...because open source matters
"Try to answer two questions for every one question you ask." - Me

craigsanatomy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by craigsanatomy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:34 pm

Hmm...this is strange, I did go in and turn SEO URL off, and saved, but the site was still not working.  I went back into admin and SEO was still turned on!  Any thoughts?

Also, I had changed "htaccess.txt" to "htaccess" (i removed the .txt) as per the instructions.  I just tried changing that back to .txt but still no luck.

Thanks for your help!

PS:  I just went to the /main/joomla site and it seems to be working (with the exception of some rss feeds).  And in the administrator panel on that site SEO is turned off.
Last edited by craigsanatomy on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

craigsanatomy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by craigsanatomy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:21 pm

Here is one snag I think I'm hitting:

What is my absolute path?  the URL is: http://www.rockworms.com&nbsp; (or it can be sans the www).  But the old absolute path was this: /home/content/r/o/c/rockworms/html/Main/Joomla.  I tried just getting rid of /Main/Joomla and that didn't seem to work.

Sorry for being such a newb.

ChiefGoFor
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by ChiefGoFor » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:49 pm

craigsanatomy wrote: Also, I had changed "htaccess.txt" to "htaccess" (i removed the .txt) as per the instructions.  I just tried changing that back to .txt but still no luck.
The directions say to change it to: .htaccess
** Please note that there is a period in front of htaccess.

That will fix the SEO issue. Then, test to see if there are any other issues.

craigsanatomy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by craigsanatomy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:28 pm

Boy do I feel dumb!  Ok--I think I'm almost there, rockworms.com seems to work, the only funny thing that I've noticed is this:

When I click on content items (that are set to public) it gives me this message:

You are not authorised to view this resource.
You need to login.

Any thoughts on that?  I REALLY appreciate your help thus far.
-Craig

ChiefGoFor
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by ChiefGoFor » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:29 pm

craigsanatomy wrote: Boy do I feel dumb!  Ok--I think I'm almost there, rockworms.com seems to work, the only funny thing that I've noticed is this:

When I click on content items (that are set to public) it gives me this message:

You are not authorised to view this resource.
You need to login.

Any thoughts on that?  I REALLY appreciate your help thus far.
-Craig
For this, I recommend opening a new thread in "General Questions". I do not want to get too far off topic with this. :)

geonx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by geonx » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:49 am

Hi  ;)

I am newby to Joomla and GoDaddy Hosting...after reading the full thread (after I make my first install via Metropolis) I decide to delate and reinstall via the manual in this thread but before do so I would like to check this...It seem that GoDaddy has totaly change their approach on Joomla from the time the manual was written can somene confirm if still you GoDaddy's install does not give you access in the database ?

My first try looks that everything worked OK but I want to be sure that I can control my database etc... so if problem exists I have to go via the manual install if no the Metropolis install seem working fine nowday's (Joomla 1.0.12 in Metropolis currently...)

Also is there something that I sould worry about with GoDaddy's  hosting and Joomla related to other languages ? I need to have support for Greek on Joomla (well I am located in Athens the site will be in Greek... this was one other reason for going with manual install so I can load the localized Greek variation of Joomla but if the Metropolis will work I will stick with that...)

Sorry for the long post Looking forward to any respond that will help decide ;) Cheers and Good Night from Athens !@!

George - Γιωργος

Caidan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Caidan » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:00 pm

I have a fully functioning Joomla site on my local computer and am getting ready to install it now on my Godaddy account. I have to say that this thread is one of the best I have ever read. Not only exceptionally informational but well written by everyone involved. It sure has helped me from making a few mistakes and convinced me to do a manual install which I was originally not planning on! Great job to everyone!

A couple things caught my eye as I was reading through though....

1) As far as the changing register_globals to 0, wouldn't the easiest way be to edit the file on your local computer before uploading and starting the install on your host? Or is there a reason that would not work ???

2) Back in the begininning of the thread there was instructions on how to install Joomla on multiple domains on a single godaddy hosting plan that would allow them to all have separate installations and be independent of each other... on the REVERSE SIDE does that mean if I have multiple domains (or subdomains) on a single godaddy hosting plan I can control all of them through Joomla with the same passwords and database? And if so... will each site be able to have independent content and titles (doesn't bother me if all use the same template although it would be nice if they didn't).

Just curious as one of my Godaddy (not using Joomla) accounts has 20 domains on it and I manage each site separately right now and the Joomla site I am uploading tonight on a separate godaddy account would benefit greatly if I could subdomain separate minisites and have users navigate between them without having to re-login or register on each one.

If #2 is possible just let me know (or point me to another post) and I'll start a new thread on what I am wanting to do so this one doesn't go off topic.

Thanks!
Last edited by Caidan on Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m0n3ysh0t
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by m0n3ysh0t » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:38 pm

everytime i try to go through the installation and i setup my MySql and i get to the part where it asks for the Sql information it keeps erroring saying my username or password is incorrect.. i dont understand whats going on... HELP!

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:04 pm

Godaddy now have a one click installer for Joomla.. why not just use that?
Brad Baker
https://xyzulu.hosting
https://www.joomlatutorials.com <-- Joomla Help & Tutorials

Caidan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Caidan » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:13 am

I set up my Joomla in 15 minutes (and ten of that was uploading the files) with a manual installation. I chose manual due to discussion in this thread about Godaddy creating a "virtual mySQL database" and not an actual one in your hosting on their auto install. There were reported problems with speed and accessibility with the virtual database. I also edited my Globals.php file before upload and no problems during install.

For the database issue above...

When you create a mysql database with Godaddy the database name and your username are the same (it asks you to enter a description when you create it, but this is not the database name). After Godaddy sets it up (takes about 5 minutes) click on it to show the details. There should be a path like mysql15.secureserver.net (or something like that).

After that, when you run the Joomla install enter that path (not localhost) and enter your mysql username in the username and database name fields, insert your password and unless you have a special reason to change it, leave the prefix field alone (should say jom_)

Joomla should set right up after that. ;D

geonx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by geonx » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:16 pm

brad wrote: Godaddy now have a one click installer for Joomla.. why not just use that?
Brad, This is what I am trying to figure out per my message above I went through the GoDaddy install originally and then I unistall when I read about the virtuall database thatg I cannot control...reading further in the tread I realise it had to do with the old enviroment of GoDaddy Hosting currently this has chenge and everything should be OK still I don't know if the database issue (not really an issue...for the majority of the people...) is still there... based on the tread here I thing that I will do the auto install again...
If somene has any ideas it will help...

Regards,
George -  Γιωργος

mdsmendes
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mdsmendes » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:10 am

Hi guys!

Besides not finding the helping file wveryone's talking about I'm really confused about all this.
I know nothing about webdesign or web hosting and decided to create a web site.. But it's getting really frustrating as I can't even install Joomla, the so called "easy to use even for those who know nothing about it".

Can anyone help with this? Is there still a pdf I can go to? Or can someone help me on MSN? it's mdsmendes(at)hotmail(dot)com.

Thank you all,

M

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:16 am

http://help.joomla.org - there are pdf's, tutorials, FAQ's and many other resources.
Brad Baker
https://xyzulu.hosting
https://www.joomlatutorials.com <-- Joomla Help & Tutorials

mdsmendes
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mdsmendes » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:53 am

Is it specific for Joomla for GoDaddy? Where is the one-click instalation of Joomla on GoDaddy?
I don't even understand how to install php (or even what the hell it is..) or apache..

Sorry for the inconvinience but I'm really lost here.. Can any kind soul be of any help?

M

ChiefGoFor
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by ChiefGoFor » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:24 pm

mdsmendes wrote: Is it specific for Joomla for GoDaddy? Where is the one-click instalation of Joomla on GoDaddy?
I don't even understand how to install php (or even what the hell it is..) or apache..

Sorry for the inconvinience but I'm really lost here.. Can any kind soul be of any help?
Most shared hosting companies use "Fantastico" to do the One click install. You should see if you see "Fantastico" in your Go Daddy Control Panel. You do not need to know how to install PHP or or apache. GoDaddy has already done that. I hope that helps! :)

Edit: Per post below, GoDaddy uses "Metropolis" and not "Fantastico".
Last edited by ChiefGoFor on Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eratl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by eratl » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:14 pm

mdsmendes wrote: Is it specific for Joomla for GoDaddy? Where is the one-click instalation of Joomla on GoDaddy?

M
Hi,

Login to your GoDaddy Control Panel. Open the control panel for the site you are working on.  In the GoDaddy Control Panel, there is a placeto set your personal information, create databases, and all other functions related to your site. In there, you should also see a link to "Metropolis." 

Metropolis is a page where you can select to install other features in your site.  There's a WordPress Blog and other CMS systems, among them are several CMS (content based) systems. One of them (right side of screen) is Joomla. Read the paragraph desctiption then click on "Read More" or whatever the link name is to learn more about Joomla.  Once you click that link, you will find an option to install it directly ontp your godaddy server. One thing to remember:  The system automatically creates an MySql database to store your files.  Be sure to follow instructions carefully for creating a MySql database login name and password. They are case sensitive and require at least one number and one capital letter in the password.  Copy your MySql database login name and password into a text document and save it.

Tge next part of setting up your Joomla is creating a login and password to get you into Joomla's Administration panel back-end control panel).  Create a password and copy it into your other document and maek it as Joomla Server Login.  Create a password. (careful to follow instructions on the caps-numbers combination.  Your password to get into the administration panel (back-end) for Joomla, must be the same password you originally saved as your ftp password to ftp (upload) pages to your server. Copy and paste your Joomla administration password down and label it as such in your text document.

Once the login and password are created for both the MySql database and administration panel are created, it will ask you to "install" joomla. Click on Install.  You will be asked what directory you wish to put the files in.

The default irectoryfor installing Joomla onto your godaddy server is your sitename http://www.yoursitename/Joomla.&nbsp; If you let it install it in that default directory...to get to your Joomla files, you will have to go to http://www.yoursitename/Joomla.&nbsp; best not to have it put into the Joomla folder. remove the Joomla from the default and just use your site name and it will install it into your maiin directory.  Once that is done, you'll be able to login.

Hope this helps.

mrtuannguyen
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mrtuannguyen » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:31 am

I don't know what's wrong with my Virtual Delicate Server which I rent from Goddady.
When I begun to install it, it wrote:
- Security Check: PHP magic_quotes_gpc setting is `OFF` instead of `ON`
- Setting check:
  Display Errors:  Display Errors:  ON:    OFF 
  Magic Quotes GPC:  ON:    OFF 
- Almost the folders wrote Unwritable

I just fixed the folder to be Writable and I installed it. The install process is OK.
But when it finished, I deleted the Installation Folder go to website
- A blank page
When I go to admin page
- It's just write: Control Panel
That's it...
SO can you help me ?

mdsmendes
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mdsmendes » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:25 pm

Hi eratl,

Thanks for your help.
When trying to install Joomla on Metropolis I get this message:

Compatibility
This product is not compatible with any of your hosting plans. Learn more...

System Requirements
LINUX, PHP 4.3, MYSQL 4.0.27 Upgrade your hosting plan

It says my account has  
Databases: MYSQL 4.0.27, 4.1, 5.0 Available: 10, MSSQL 2000, 2005 Available: 1

So from the requirements I'm missing the PHP and Linux.. My account is on Windows. Must it be in Linux for this to work?
And will it work on my Windows XP OS?

Cheers,

M

ChiefGoFor
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by ChiefGoFor » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:31 pm

Joomla! will run on Windows, no problem. I would suggest that you contact GoDaddy and ask them what the error means. Hopefully, they will be able to provide an answer. I can not see why they would not.

**Be sure to come back and post your findings here for future members with this same GoDaddy issue.

vancity
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by vancity » Fri May 04, 2007 12:12 am

mdevane wrote:
mdevane wrote: Let's start over again  :o.  Below is the configuration I would like to achieve:

|
    |
    |-- mainsite.com
    |-- site1.com
    |-- site2.com

Requirements:
1. I am on Godaddy Deluxe account which provides for unlimited domains (based on space/bandwidth, etc.)
2. I would like to use some form of SEF - either core or 3rd party
3. I would like to keep site(s) organized like above.

Current Status / Observations:
1. The configuration pictured above works fine for all non-SEF sites (except mainsite.com) using redirect in Godaddy CP.  Apparently, Godaddy expects all mainsites to be located in root and does not allow redirects thru it's CP.
2. mainsite.com does not work at all, so I am guessing that .htacesss must be modified differently for mainsite.com vs. the other sites, since initial redirect for site1.com and site2.com is being handled thru Godaddy CP.
3. Using core SEF functionaility, this config does not work at all.
4. I have tested various options proposed by other posters, but have not gotten success  :-\

Questions:
1. when posters refer to .htaccess and php.ini being located in , are they referring to absolute as defined in above picture, or relative as defined in Godaddy CP (e.g. - mainsite.com, site1.com, etc. as described above)?
2.  Can someone with a similar setup post their .htaccess and describe in more detail how they got this to work with Godaddy?

Thanks much.
No one has any ideas on this?

I am having trouble with the same issue.  Similar to the configuration described above, I have a Joomla site at http://www.mainsite.com/joomla_001.&nbsp; I have two identical documents, htaccess.txt and .htaccess in the folder: root/joomla_001.  This site is working in the core SEF mode.

However, I have another Joomla site on the same Godaddy delux hosting account.  This site is located in root/site1, but it's set up with godaddy such that the site is displayed at http://www.site1.com.&nbsp; The site works great in non-SEF mode, but I can't get it to work in SEF mode.  I tried putting the .htaccess and htaccess.txt (one at a time and together) in root/site1 as well as root/, and I tried all of the suggestions (adding and eliminating comments) in the .htaccess file. 

Has anyone been able to get this to work?  If so, I would be very grateful if you would explain how (please post your .htaccess file and explain where it's located).  I'm ready to go live with my site, but I really want to get it working in SEF mode first

Thanks!
Vancity

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Sun May 06, 2007 12:43 pm

Vancity
in your .htaccess file locate  #Rewritebase /  change this to

Rewritebase /site1

the same for each site

@all
When you start out login to your host control panel goto the database mysql create your database save your user password info.
then in Metropolis select Joomla it will start the install process when it gets to the database select preinstalled database enter the database info then continue with the install. you can also tell it to install to the root directory by leaving the install directory blank.
Loyd Headrick

jerrymei
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jerrymei » Thu May 10, 2007 12:59 am

Guys,

This thing is driving me nuts. I have Linux hosting with GoDaddy. Already unzipped and transfered Joomla package like ten times to the root of my server. When I open my site in a browser I see the page not found message of GoDaddy. Looking at address bar I see that it is looking for http://www.mydomain.com/installation/index.php and obviously it fails because there is no installation folder in the root of my server. This installation folder is not a Joomla! folder either.

Can somebody guide me here. Thanks a bunch in advance.

Jerry

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Thu May 10, 2007 2:48 pm

Jerrymei
verify that you have the 1.0.12 stable full package not the upgrade. if you have all ready created a database the go thru the Metropolis joomla installer just select the root directory to install to and under the database info use the info for the database you already have.
if you need additional help pm me with domain Ilook at it
Loyd Headrick

jerrymei
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jerrymei » Fri May 11, 2007 3:03 am

Wow, that's embarrassing. It seems I was trying to upgrade something that is not installed yet.

Thank you very much for your help.

Jerry

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”