Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jumuple
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Post by jumuple » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:55 pm

Tried the link to the pdf file but I could not get it to work. Instead it downloaded a file called index.php. I know I am new to this but I can't seem to make any use of this file to reach the installation instructions. javascript:void(0);
Cry

medmoth
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by medmoth » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:00 am

h2ocello wrote: Just make sure to edit your configuration.php file to get things pointing to the right place.
When using GoDaddy with multiple secondary domains I'm running into the problem of not being able to configure Joomla 1.5 during the installation process to point to my site -- ie., http://www.secondarysite.com site address has to be http://www.mainsite.com/secondarysite.com in order to even begin the install process.

Once into the install process there is no url section to correct the pointing.

Can I correct this by editing the configuration.php-dist file? THANKS!!

Regards.
Last edited by medmoth on Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

xdrone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by xdrone » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:40 pm

I am using Joomla for a client app on a Godaddy dedicated server Fedora 6 with Plesk. Their are several directories which require write access  and I changed the permissions as necessary to Chmod 777. When I attempted to install a component however, the installation process creates the sub directories required with Chmod 755 by default. the automatically results in failure since their is no write access to the newly created directory required to complete the installation process.

Question:

What is the most secure way to solve this problem?
Could I set 777 permissions for the directory and sub-directory within the required durectory using .htaccess?

Thanks in advance for your response.

global3747
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by global3747 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:14 am

I have built my Joomla site locally and now need to transfer it to my host - Godaddy. I have FTP'd most of the files, but am (not having used MySQL before) having trouble transfering my locally stored DB files (/mysql/data/joomladb/ ...many files listed in directory ...) to the server.

The GoDaddy help people have sent instructions which include a line 'Click on Browse and browse to where you have your .SQL file located on your machine.', but all the files saved in my joomladb file have extensions such as .MYI, .FRM, .MYD

Have I missed a step? All help and instructions to appreciated.

J

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:48 pm

hi global3747
for you database you need to export it via an mysql adminstration or you can download a copy of phpmyadmin install this in you web directory on you local system opem in the let pane there is a box says databases click on this select your database when this loads in the right pane select export on the tabs at top scroll down about mid page you will se save as check the box then click go this will export the database as a sql file. login to you host control panel clicl on mysql open you database. you will see a tab labeled import click on ths it will open a pop up box selct import file browse where you save the sql file then click go this will import your database to your host account.

Xdrone
the directories shouldbe 755 having them 777 makes them writable by everyone. set files to 644
Loyd Headrick

xdrone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by xdrone » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:33 am

Thanks for the reply! One questions still lingers in my mind. During installation there are several directories that need to be writable. How should this be addressed in terms of security. Should I use Chmod 777 on these directories, then change the Chmod 755 after install is completed? Whats the best way to address this in terms of security.

Leo51
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Leo51 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:09 am

ScabbyUK wrote: After what seemed like an age of reading I found out that the culprit was an extension for php called IMAP and it wasn't installed.cause of this one add-on missing and their indifference to help me.!!!!!
I was wondering how would you test to see if IMAP extension is installed properly on your server and also if the version of IMAP matters with MMS Blog 1.3.

I am able to download the only text message but if its image I get the little pop-up window instead of the image writing to the  /images/mmsblog directory.

Thanks
Forum Rules: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,65.0.html
[Signatures] May NOT contain any images.

stealthdata
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stealthdata » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:23 am

Ok I'm not trying to high jack the thread here but I believe my post in this thread may be important to future readers.

I currently am hosting with powweb.com I'm switching to godaddy because quite frankly powweb at times has page loads at 30 secs to 5 minutes on database driven web sites. Nice people, great static web service not a good database driven web hoster. Anyway because of this I'm forced to move my website which is Joomla driven to another web host [godaddy].

Powweb's self install wizard uses any where from 20 to 35 characters for a database name when the wizard creates the dbname. The problem I'm having is godaddy only supports 16 characters. So creating a database on godaddy with the same name is not happening for me. I tried editing the [filename.sql (export)] with the new database name I was forced to create because of godaddy dbname character restriction. Alas all I get is username and not allowed.

However it partially creates the database myold_dbname when importing the [filename.sql (export)] then it stops and says

Access denied for user 'user'@'%' to database 'information_schema'

Even when I changed the [filename.sql (export)] myold_dbname with mynew_dbname I still get a simular error...

I'm exhausted, and tired. Anyone have any wisdom or a cold beer?

I wonder if changing the dbname in [filename.sql (export)] and keeping the old user profile would work?

I attempted to edit the configuration.php on the copy of my web site that is currently on the godaddy servers.
Last edited by stealthdata on Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stealth Data Solutions, LLC
Professional Risk Management Service Provider
1-877-71-STEALTH (78325)
Website - http://stealthdatasolutions.com

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:30 am

yes just open your .sql file with notepad or similar text editor and change the database name there to match the database you created.
Godadday has Metropolis which will auto install Joomla for you if you want use it.
Loyd Headrick

stealthdata
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stealthdata » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:39 pm

I understand that godaddy has an auto installer, thank you. I however have made some customizations I don't want to lose, content, links, page ranking, and SEO content.

I've tired the whole change the database name in the sql file. Still getting an error.  :'(

If I use the auto installer I'll be backward about 20 to 30 hours of work.
Last edited by stealthdata on Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1-877-71-STEALTH (78325)

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:18 pm

open your database  manager this will log you in to phpmyadmin copy and paste everything after the database name into the sql query box then click go this should load your database
Loyd Headrick

stealthdata
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stealthdata » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:48 am

Humm.. why didn't I think of that. Fixed thank you k4lch.
Last edited by stealthdata on Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
1-877-71-STEALTH (78325)

jamesjoyce
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jamesjoyce » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:22 pm

The attachment is corrupted so that I could not open it. Could you please send it again?

amu0373
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amu0373 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:04 pm

jamesjoyce wrote: The attachment is corrupted so that I could not open it. Could you please send it again?
I've tested the attachement and there seems to be no problem. Pls try again. Alex.

wildchild
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by wildchild » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:45 pm

Also, so you know, the Fantastico, or whatever it is that GoDaddy uses, has 1.0.12, not the latest version of Joomla, so you'll have to upgrade it. I just installed it last night and had to upload my DB through the sql query box. Don't waste your time trying to import it. While I can do this on my other servers, GoDaddy won't allow it.

Thank you, kl4ch, for that information or I would have spent more time banging my head against the wall.

This forum is great!  :D

BTW, I had no problems downloading the file last night.

Marci
Last edited by wildchild on Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesjoyce
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jamesjoyce » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:15 am

Thank you for the manual. I have done what the manual says step by step, but I could not fix the problem. Still it says password and username provided are not correct. Let me tell you what I have done.

I created a database without any tables. I upload joomla and start to set up. As usual the server directed me to installation/index.php. Here I got two errors:

Warning: ini_get() has been disabled for security reasons in d:\hosting\desireadmin\installation\index.php on line 32

configuration.php  Unwriteable
You can still continue the install as the configuration will be displayed at the end, just copy & paste this and upload.
Session save path Unwriteable
Not set

Anyway I kept going on and came to step 1. As you explained in the manual, I wrote down h50mysql25.secureserver.net as host name as goddady said. I wrote down user name, password and database name. username and database names are the same. Then I click next, everytime I get username and password provided are incorrect error message. I tried in another host, it worked very well. Byt my customer want goddaddy hosting and I am about to get crazy.

Please, any other suggestion?

jamesjoyce
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jamesjoyce » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:31 am

Could ,anyone who could upload and run his web site under godaddy servers, tell me what is written for host name in their configuration.php file:

Something like:

$mosConfig_host = 'h50mysql25.secureserver.net'; (When I was creating the database, goddy said this is my host name)

or

$mosConfig_host = 'mysqladmin2.secureserver.net'; (When I connect to the database through godaddy phpmyadmin, select the database and click "processes", it says that my localhost is this.)

or

$mosConfig_host = '10.8.11.192'; (When I connect to the database through godaddy phpmyadmin, on top it says localhost is this)

or

$mosConfig_host = 'localhost'; (just trying)

I tried all of them, but could not establish database connection although user name, password and database name fields are all correct. I always get the same message:
The password and user name provided are incorrect (but I am sure that they are correct and checked them several times from phpmyadmin panel)

p.s: I run the web site and established the database connection in another hosting.

wildchild
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by wildchild » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:50 pm

I just did this on Monday. LOL I was ready to tear my hair out. LOL

After you signed in to the account and went into the database section, did you click on the little pencil to edit the details? It sounds like it.

You know, up above the create database button, you'll find a link that says "metropolis". If you go in there, you can have GoDaddy install Joomla for you. It only takes a few minutes. You'll have to upgrade to 1.0.13, though, as they do not have the latest version.

Good luck!

Marci

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:07 pm

Godaddy database

$mosConfig_host = 'h50mysql25.secureserver.net'; double check this it will cause the same problem
$mosConfig_db ='database name';
$mosConfig_user ='same as database name';
$mosConfig_password ='password';

I'm running both 1.0.13 and 1.5rc no problems the hostname will change for ever database created none of mine are the same.
try creating a new one and use that one if it works just drop the first one
Loyd Headrick

ckmartin1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ckmartin1 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:47 pm

I have a problem with a bit of a twist.  I downloaded the eCommerce version of Joomla that has VirtueMart already configured.  I had no problem unzipping and copying up to my GoDaddy account.  But...

When I run the install, the preinstall check looks fine, I enter all the database information and click Next,

Then, it displays the error "The password and the username provided are incorrect".

I have completely reloaded the entire Joomla install package.
I have checked and double-checked the database name and password.  I can open it directly from GoDaddy.
I have tried both "localhost" and the hostname supplied from GoDaddy.

Any ideas?

c

ckmartin1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ckmartin1 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:08 am

It Worked!!!

I did as previously suggested and simply created another database and tried it again.  Everything installed perfectly.

...which leaves me wondering, perhaps my database name was too long.  I read somewhere that the name limit was 16 characters which was the length of my pervious database name.  The new one I made substantially shorter.

Oh well, it's working and all is right with the world. 

c

nicholastheczar
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nicholastheczar » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:22 am

wildchild wrote: I just did this on Monday. LOL I was ready to tear my hair out. LOL

After you signed in to the account and went into the database section, did you click on the little pencil to edit the details? It sounds like it.

You know, up above the create database button, you'll find a link that says "metropolis". If you go in there, you can have GoDaddy install Joomla for you. It only takes a few minutes. You'll have to upgrade to 1.0.13, though, as they do not have the latest version.

Good luck!

Marci
Marci -  If I'm using metropolis to install Joomla on a godaddy server, how do I upgrade to the current Joomla version? 

luketheobscure
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

DON'T USE GODADDY FOR JOOMLA

Post by luketheobscure » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:47 pm

Trust me on this one...  Install goes fine but uploading DOES NOT WORK...  you won't be able to install large components (unless you ftp them and install from a directory), users won't be able to upload pictures.  Not 100% sure why...  probabbly php.ini settings. 

(This in reference to the shared hosting plans... not the dedicated server plans)

scottsnyde
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by scottsnyde » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:52 am

Wow!  Thank you for giving me EXACTLY what I needed.  Your awesome bud.
Scott

myronlee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by myronlee » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:24 pm

Hello,

I have godaddy hosting, have Joomla auto installed on shared hosting account with no problems..... but, I also have a virtual serving account and I cannot get Joomla installed...I've tried several hosted accounts I created....seems it installed but on step 1, it won't accept username,database name or password.... I've copied and pasted, retried 9 or 10 times.. I went inot config.php and put in data and then uploaded ....no luck.... support cant seem to help..they advised me to use localhost as Host name..they suggested I contact Joomla..... Does anyone have experience w/ this ?
-Thankyou

fionaby
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by fionaby » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:50 pm

That is exactly one of my errors. I have checked that all my versions are the same the server live and local. I really hope there is someone out there that can help us upload our files or suggest a workaround.

fionaby
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by fionaby » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:53 pm

ckmartin1 wrote: It Worked!!!

I did as previously suggested and simply created another database and tried it again.  Everything installed perfectly.
I would like to try this how did you create the database from with in the Godaddy control panel phpmy admin or how?

cutigers
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cutigers » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:34 am

Hey guys,
I'm new here and finding a lot of great threads so far.

I didn't know if i should post here or start a new thread so feel free to delete this if it's in the wrong place.

I uploaded joomla to my website and everything was going fine.
However, i can't get past step #1 of the installation.

I'm hosting with goddy and followed that pdf file and i'm stuck.

After I put in all the server and database user name and password and click "NEXT", i get timed out.

I tried it in both IE and FF.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:17 am

is this a new install or a database you already had?
Loyd Headrick

fionaby
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by fionaby » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:22 pm

In mycase i have the database and site locally installed and want to move it.

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”