Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
rockstone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Post by rockstone » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:18 pm

where is the link or pdf file of this Install Manual for Godaddy server? I looked but could not find it. thanks.

ophate
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ophate » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:13 pm

I run multiple subdomains on Godaddy.com - They recently made a change where the creation of the subdomain will now properly set the correct "root" for the subdomain - this was broken for my in 6/2006.

My Htaccess file looks like this. I install joomla into subdirectories under the root, and rely on godaddys parent rules to set the initial directory:

Options FollowSymlinks

# turn mod_rewrite on
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /

# If request is for yourdomain.com
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^yourmaindomain\.com
# Then redirect to http://www.yourdomain.com
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.yourdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

# If request is for direct access to /dev subdirectory, redirect to dev.yourdomain.com
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?yourmaindomain\.com
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^[A-Z]+\ /dev
# Then redirect to dev.yourdomain.com
RewriteRule ^dev(.*) http://dev.yourdomain.com$1 [R=301,L]

# If request is for direct access to /photos subdirectory, redirect to photos.yourdomain.com
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^[A-Z]+\ /photos/
# Then redirect to photos.yourdomain.com
RewriteRule ^photos(.*) http://photos.yourdomain.com$1 [R=301,L]

# If request is for direct access to /SUBDIRECTORYtest subdirectory, redirect to test.yourdomain.com
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^[A-Z]+\ /SUBDIRECTORYtest
# Then redirect to test.yourdomain.com
RewriteRule ^SUBDIRECTORYtest(.*) http://test.yourdomain.com$1 [R=301,L]

# If request is for direct access to /SUBDIRECTORYhist subdirectory, redirect to family.yourdomain.com
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^[A-Z]+\ /SUBDIRECTORYhist
# Then redirect to family.yourdomain.com
RewriteRule ^SUBDIRECTORYhist(.*) http://family.yourdomain.com$1 [R=301,L]

# If request is for direct access to /SUBDIRECTORYchat subdirectory, redirect to forums.yourdomain.com
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^[A-Z]+\ /SUBDIRECTORYchat
# Then redirect to family.yourdomain.com
RewriteRule ^SUBDIRECTORYchat(.*) http://forums.yourdomain.com$1 [R=301,L]

# Where to go for error documents - Note that the reference is from the re-written ROOT of the subdomain
# This means that dev.yourdomain.com errors look for /dev/errors/missing.html
# and http://www.yourdomain.com errors look for /errors/missing.html
ErrorDocument 404 /errors/missing.html

# Page to show for prohibited documents
ErrorDocument 403 /errors/missing.html

########## Begin Standard SEF Section
## ALL (RewriteCond) lines in this section are only required if you actually
## have directories named 'content' or 'component' on your server
## If you do not have directories with these names, comment them out.
#
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.htm|\.php|\.html|/[^.]*)$  [NC]
#RewriteRule ^(content/|component/) index.php
#
########## End Standard SEF Section

########## Begin - 3rd Party SEF Section
############# Use this section if you are using a 3rd party (Non Joomla! core) SEF extension - e.g. OpenSEF, 404_SEF, 404SEFx, SEF Advance, etc
#
# RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.htm|\.php|\.html|/[^.]*)$  [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule (.*) index.php
#
########## End - 3rd Party SEF Section

# Ensure only only our domain is hot-linking images for domain
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(www\.|photos\.|test\.|dev\.)?yourdomain.com(/)?.*$    [NC]
RewriteRule .*\.(gif|jpg|jpeg|bmp|png)$ http://www.yourdomain.com/errors/theif.png [R,NC]

########## Begin - Rewrite rules to block out some common exploits
#                             
# Block out any script trying to set a mosConfig value through the URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} mosConfig_[a-zA-Z_]{1,21}(=|\%3D) [OR]
# Block out any script trying to base64_encode crap to send via URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} base64_encode.*\(.*\) [OR]
# Block out any script that includes a tag in URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (\|%3E) [NC,OR]
# Block out any script trying to set a PHP GLOBALS variable via URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} GLOBALS(=|\[|\%[0-9A-Z]{0,2}) [OR]
# Block out any script trying to modify a _REQUEST variable via URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} _REQUEST(=|\[|\%[0-9A-Z]{0,2})
# Send all blocked request to homepage with 403 Forbidden error!
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php [F,L]
#
########## End - Rewrite rules to block out some common exploits

If your hosting provider mucks this up, like Godaddy did in 6/2006, you may need these lines:

Options FollowSymlinks

# turn mod_rewrite on
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /

# Write Subdomains to strip any path before the subdomain root
# for example, id domain sub.domain.tld physically shows as /subdomain/
# this rule rewrites the url from http://sub.domain.tld/subdomain/
# to http://sub.domain.tld/

# Can't do it without a HOST header. (Not even virtual hosts.)
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^$

# Don't do anything if it's the main domain.
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^(www\.)?yourdomain\.com$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^(photos\.)? yourdomain \.com $ [NC]

# Get the subdomain and first directory.
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}---%{REQUEST_URI} ^([^\.]+)\. yourdomain \.com ---/([^/]+)? [NC]

# Make sure they're not the same.
RewriteCond %1---%2 !^(.*)---\1$ [NC]

# Check if this subdomain relates to a real directory.
# If it doesn't, it'll go to the main files.
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%1/ -d

# Rewrite it.
RewriteRule ^(.*)?$ /%1/$1 [QSA]

# Where to go for error documents - Note that the reference is from the re-written ROOT of the subdomain
# This means that dev.yourdomain.com errors look for /dev/errors/missing.html
# and http://www.yourdomain.com errors look for /errors/missing.html
ErrorDocument 404 /errors/missing.html

# Page to show for prohibited documents
ErrorDocument 403 /errors/missing.html

# The CMS Search engine friendly rewriting stuff is in the specific subfolders for the subdomains or below
# for the main site

GypsyOwl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by GypsyOwl » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:34 pm

Your guide is very well written.  :)  I just found this forum and have already installed Joomla using the godaddy
I am on godaddy and found that they have an installation process available without going about it this way.  The problem is that it is not the newest version of the Joomla. 
My question is "How can I upgrade to the newest version after already having Joomla installed on my hosting server?"

This is how I installed Joomla..
What is Joomla?
Last Updated: August 15, 2006 4:28 PM Print This Article 

Joomla! is one of the many free add-on applications that we offer with our Linux hosting accounts. Joomla! is an award-winning Content Management System (CMS) that will help you build Web sites and other powerful online applications. A simple, browser-based interface helps you easily add new press releases or news items, manage staff pages, job listings, product images, and create an unlimited amount of sections or content pages on your site.

To Set up Joomla! in Your Linux Hosting Account
Under the Hosting & Email section, select Hosting Account List.
Next to the hosting account you want to modify, click Open.
Under the Content section of the Hosting Manager, click the Value Application icon. The Application Manager displays.
Read the disclaimer and click Accept on the Value Application Disclaimer page.
Click Install next to Joomla!
Enter your information in the required fields.
Click Install.

That is how I installed Joomla on my godaddy account.  I have the download of the most recent version available in zipped and unzipped versions...
Now I need to upgrade....
Any idea how I can do that (or find the info about how to do it) ?

Thank You,
GypsyOwl

h2ocello
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by h2ocello » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:43 pm

Presently GoDaddy does have the most current version of Joomla available for download (Joomla 1.0.11 by today's date).

You can have it Joomla installed by GoDaddy this way:
  1. Log into your GoDaddy Account
  2. Go to My Hosting Account, and select 'Open' under Control Panel
  3. In your Control Panel (called the Hosting Manager Control Panel), select Value Applications, then click 'Install' for Joomla. The version number is listed next to the download.

Joomla will be installed into a folder off your root, which they probably name 'joomla'.  Afterwards, you can easily move everything to your root or wherever else you'd like using an FTP program like SmartFTP.  Just make sure to edit your configuration.php file to get things pointing to the right place.

You can instead install Joomla on your own, and you can run multiple joomla systems on one hosting account. Again, using something like Smart FTP is a good way to go (this is the way I do it, and it's always worked for me).

Setting up a subdomain with products like SMF (simplemachines forum) is easy, too. I know this now after trying to make it very hard for myself, rewriting the .htaccess file, changing permissions on things, and the like. It turns out none of that was needed; the original .htaccess file worked fine. I just overlooked a really easy step, but the gentlemen I spoke with at GoDaddy was very helpful and quickly fixed my problem.

To set up a subdomain when using GoDaddy with Joomla follow these 5 steps.  This is for the example: forum.yourdomain.com

1. Log into your GoDaddy Account
  2. Go to My Hosting Account, and select 'Open' under Control Panel
  3. In your Control Panel (called the Hosting Manager Control Panel), select Domain Management
  4. Select the domain you want the subdomain to reference, and click the Add Subdomain link
  5. For Subdomain put (in this example): forum.  For Path select and type this over it: /forum.  Then click Save.

To set up a subdomain when using GoDaddy with Joomla for a Secondary Domain (in other words, a domain you've set up in your hosting account other than your Primary Domain), do 1-4 above and the following Step 5 instead. This is for the example:  yoursecondarydomain.com. We want to get to this forum by typing in forum.yoursecondarydomain.com, which will reference the directory path: /domain2 (yourdomain.com/domain2)

5. For Subdomain put (in this example): forum.  For Path select and type this over it: /domain2/forum.  Then click Save.  Then wait awhile before testing it, as it takes a bit to set it up. That's all there is to it.

When people type in forum.yoursecondarydomain.com they will be following this path: yourdomain.com/domain2/forum

GypsyOwl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by GypsyOwl » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:41 am

;D Thank You for your reply! h2ocello ! :)

"...you can run multiple joomla systems on one hosting account"

That is great information.  I am going to go through your steps over the weekend and hope to have made a lot of progress in record time.

I have installed two phpbb forums on my hosting account using subdomains and separate database setups.  The first one was a challenge until I realized that I was making it more complicated than it really is.  I have found that the godaddy help files are exceptional.

Thank You again for your reply and for taking the time to answer my question.

Kind Regards,
GypsyOwl
support@gypsyowl.org

h2ocello
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by h2ocello » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:35 pm

You're welcome!
GypsyOwl wrote: I am going to go through your steps over the weekend and hope to have made a lot of progress in record time.
I had large one problem recently when I was moving several hosting accounts to one account, and setting up subdomains for them. Because of that, I'm passing on this one piece of advice, although this is something likely everyone in the world but me already knew:

Make sure you have Error Reporting on when doing anything major - installs, updates, etc.  If you have Error Reporting turned off, your website's going to look like a polar bear in a snowstorm (white blank screen and nothing else), and 'reveal codes' is going to show you nothing as well. 

It took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure out it wasn't telling me what was wrong b/c I'd turned errors off. 

You get to Error Reporting settings by this route: Log into your Joomla admin account > Site > Global Config > Server > Error Reporting

This is important because sometimes even if you think you haven't affected one of your Joomla sites with something you've done, you actually might have. The good thing is, you can of course get into the backend and turn on Error Reporting even after the polar bears have come to party.

Oh, and if you are moving an already established Joomla website from another hosting account, don't forget to transfer your backend database(s) to a new database in your hosting account (export the sql from the old db, then import into a new db you create). In GoDaddy, setting up new Databases is in your hosting account Control Panel.  Make sure the data has imported properly before you delete the original copy or delete any hosting accounts you're getting ready to move.  And of course, make sure your configuration.php reflects any changes you've made to the database name, password, host, etc., or you'll get errors when trying to access your site.

Good luck, and post if you need assistance!  :)

webdevmac
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by webdevmac » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:21 pm

Hello,

I am working on my bosses website hosting at GoDaddy. I just uploaded the Joomla! package and getting started I had two security checks that needed to be turned off. I have already turned off define( 'RG_EMULATION', 0 ); but can't find where to turn off PHP register_globals setting is `ON` instead of `OFF`. Any suggestions? I did read the forum here: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,81058.0.html however I don't quite understand it all.
Last edited by webdevmac on Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

h2ocello
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by h2ocello » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:02 pm

I'm removing what I wrote in this post because webdevmac's fix works and it's easy. It'll just confuse people if I leave my original post.  Follow the link below to his post, or just look for his September 9, 2006 posting in this topic.

How to turn register_globals off in GoDaddy: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... #msg472657

Thank you webdevmac. I thought I was helping you, and you ended up helping me! 
Last edited by h2ocello on Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webdevmac
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by webdevmac » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:19 pm

h2ocello wrote:
webdevmac wrote: I just uploaded the Joomla! package and getting started I had two security checks that needed to be turned off. I have already turned off define( 'RG_EMULATION', 0 ); but can't find where to turn off PHP register_globals setting is `ON` instead of `OFF`. Any suggestions? I did read the forum here: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,81058.0.html however I don't quite understand it all.
I know the best way to turn register_globals off is to edit the php.ini file, but it's not possible for people to do it themselves when they're hosting on GoDaddy.  One supervisor I spoke with there a few days ago was surprised I wasn't able to edit the php.ini file on my end.  I didn't push the matter, as I was dealing with something else at the time and found this fix. Also, if it's something GoDaddy can fix, but everytime I need to change it I'll have to call them about it, frankly, I'd rather take another route.

This fix is from another topic, PHP Server Settings, and if you know how to edit files and have ftp access, it will take no more than a minute or two to do. Note globals.php and .htaccess are in your root joomla folder.

Turning register_globals off if hosting on GoDaddy.com
steveoc wrote: You need to add:

php_flag register_globals off

to the .htaccess file. in your joomla folder.

Then you need to open globals.php  and find

define( 'RG_EMULATION', 1 )

Change the 1 to 0.
Thank you Melissa.
Last edited by webdevmac on Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h2ocello
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by h2ocello » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:34 am

You bet. For those that are reading this and saying, .htaccess?

You'll need to have renamed htaccess.txt (found in your root joomla folder) to .htaccess. Note the '.' in front of htaccess. 

There's another step you need to do before renaming .htaccess.  Log into your Joomla admin panel, then go to Site > Global Configuration > SEO then choose YES for Search Engine Friendly URLs (SEF). There's even a little icon there reminding you to rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess after doing this, which is nice because there sure are a lot of little steps to get everything working, aren't there?

You do these steps to make your Joomla site more optimized for search engines, called Search Engine Optimization or SEO. This is good because it means more likelihood your site will be indexed in places like Google.  We hope. *cough* The neat extra is that by having an .htaccess file, for some of the php.ini challenged of us, we can add a line to turn off globals (see previous post).

If you run into troubles or want to learn more about SEO, you can read about it here in Joomla help: http://help.joomla.org/content/view/796/153/

Tip: Make sure your configuration.php file (in your root joomla folder) is writable when changing the SEO, or the steps won't work.

webdevmac
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by webdevmac » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:18 pm

One way to get Joomla! working on a GoDaddy Linux server.

(1) I uploaded the Joomla! folder directory using Transmit my FTP app. That was the easy part. What comes next can be a little troublesome if you're not use to the GoDaddy Control Panel GUI. When I started the installation in a web browser I had a "Security Check" that recommended me to turn off my "Register Globals", by default it's turned "ON".

(2) I had to turn off the "define( 'RG_EMULATION', 1 )" to "define( 'RG_EMULATION', 0 )" which "0 = OFF" and "1 = ON". To do this you must go into your "globals.php" file in your Joomla! directory.

(3) I logged into my GoDaddy account and opened my GoDaddy Control Panel GUI. On the front page of the Control Panel under the heading "Account Summary" you will find the following.

Domain Name: yourdomainname.com

Server IP Address: 00.00.0.0

Bandwidth Allotment: 250,000 MB

Operating System: Linux

Hosting Configuration: 1.0 or 2.0

# of MySQL Databases: 0 Setup of 10 Available

Look at the "Hosting Configuration" above that says 1.0 or 2.0. Most likely is will be set to 1.0 and giving you a option to upgrade to 2.0. Do it because this is required to turn off the "Register Globals" for Joomla!. Then in your Control Panel go to the heading "Databases" where you will find the option "MySQL". Here you must create a database for Joomla! with a password. Note: The name of your MySQL database will also be your username in the Joomla! installation process, so don't forget this, it is very important, write down your MySQL database username and password.

(4) There is another step that is very easy to do yourself with little to no effort. You must also create a "php.ini" file. Don't put it into your Joomla! directory, just place it in the root of your website. This is what needs to be typed into the "php.ini" file using a WYSIWYG application of your choice, then type the following text...

EXAMPLE - TYPE THIS CODE IN THE "php.ini" FILE: register_globals= off

You're now done. You don't need to type the PHP delimiters "". Once you have done these steps, it should take about 30 to 60 minutes to take affect on the GoDaddy server you are using to host your website.
Last edited by webdevmac on Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eagleslife
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by eagleslife » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:02 am

amu0373 wrote: As I wanted to install Joomla on my GoDaddy hosting account I search this forum to find some kind of instructions. The only information I found let me to believe it was quite hard to install Joomla on GoDaddy servers with a lot of issues, but since I already had my domains hosted at GoDaddy I wanted to first try to get a Joomla installation working before making drastic decisions and chance providers.

Eventually I turned out that it was not only easy to install Joomla on a GoDaddy server but it worked very well too.

I wanted to share this information with the Joomla community so I decided to write some kind of manual on how to install Joomla on GoDaddy hosting account.

My main reasons for choosing GoDaddy as my preferred provider are that they very cheap, provide a lot of disk space (cheapest hosting account is 5000MB for only $3.95 per month) and their support is superb! Of cause this is my opinion.

Anyway, the manual is attached to this post, I hope it is helpful and appreciated:

Alex.

Mod Note: I am making this topic a sticky for now but I suggest you submit your topic to the faqs forum
THANKS!!    I have had the exact same concern with GoDaddy, and this manual really helped.

julz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by julz » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:27 am

BTW Godaddy seems to supports GZIP compression : if you turn this on (in joomla), it makes the site respond noticeably faster. 

mainframe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mainframe » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:46 pm

Doesnt godaddy have a joomla installation in its free/value application option  :P .... That was the easiet way to install joomla on godaddy. why would you do it any other way ... and to upgrade is simple.

mersault
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mersault » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:14 pm

Sry for writing this a bit late, but it might be interesting for new readers as well.

There is no need to upload the whole folder structure to your GoDaddy site as some previous writers suggets. (this will be incredibly slow)
Instead, upload the .zip-file and use a litte .php file to invoke exec, passing the command to unpack the archive. This works in just seconds.

Note: GoDaddy (at least when I did it, a while ago) does not have tar, so stick with .zip-file.

If unsure, see the man pages for zip, and you might also find some facts and a script for easy testing of exec commands at this site: http://azbikelaw.org/computer/webhostphp.html
If you use the script on the webpage above to send your commands: BE VERY SURE that you remove the script entirely when you are done!!!! BIG security hole otherwise.

webdevmac
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by webdevmac » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:26 pm

mainframe wrote: Doesnt godaddy have a joomla installation in its free/value application option  :P .... That was the easiet way to install joomla on godaddy. why would you do it any other way ... and to upgrade is simple.
I found out later that there was a easy install of Joomla! on GoDaddy after the fact. Some people would prefer to do it themselves. It is good to know that there is more then one way.

:)

foottuns
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by foottuns » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:49 pm

this tutorial is very good, but the problem which i have it with godaddy was not the installation, for me the installation was quite easy, what i was concerned is was the speed of my web site. some times is loading very well some times is not, after so many times of searching and looking in the codes i found out that the fault of this is the .htaccess file and the open-sef component. in the end i fix this up too but to be honest i don't know for how long it will be fix it. i remember last time when i send an email to godaddy they respond me that the only fault that your web site is loading very slow is because joomla has a large query on the database....

well now i am migrating my web site to a new server on godaddy, i do like godaddy too, because is cheap, the hosting support is very quick, even when you call them u dont need to wait a long time, and i am calling from spain, the control panel which is quite easy.

enjoy your time on godaddy with joomla and if some one needs help on the installation give me a message, is quite a pleasure for me to help others...
  regards dan,
I wouldn’t recommend sex- drinks- or Mac for everyone, but they work for me...:)

http://www.webdotdev.com

TomDavis
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by TomDavis » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:38 am

Alex - Finding your instructions made my day. I had groped my way through the most of the steps and setups you detailed and it was very comforting to see that I was not far off from your instructions. I am stuck on moving a joomla database from one domain to the second--both on GoDaddy.

I will greatly appreciate advice on how to move forward.

Background - At a "learning" domain I own I used GoDaddy's free application setup and built my first joomla site. It went well and I have a lot of hours invested and a usable site that I do not want to toss out. I want to move it to the domain it was intended to serve. So I am now in the midst of that move.

After talking with many at GoDaddy's help line (they are good but I got beyond what many of them understand about their systems) I found one that knew the joomla "free application setup" creates a database in a "virtual directory" that the user (me) cannot access. So, they copied it and left it in my directory on the original domain name so I could transfer it to the new domain. I also wanted to have it in a location that I can access in a database like your instructions tell me how to set up. I had already set up one when I found your instructions but cannot find how to move my database --or maybe the tables inside it--to the new database at the new domain.

Can you tell me how to either:

1.    move the tables from the database of the original to the database at the new domain or
2.    move the original database to be one of the 10 available databases provided with the economy plan?

Thanks for your time. When I saw your post and the pdf file there at 3:15 AM I knew I found someone that appreciates GoDaddy and understands what I am trying to do--I smiled quietly to not wake the old lady.

Tom Davis

amu0373
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amu0373 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:33 am

Hi Tom, thanks for sending me an e-mail, the notification on this topic seems to be down (for me) so I missed out a lot on this subject  :(. Anyhow, the best way to go is to do an export from your godaddy database management account of the joomla table and import it in a new joomla table. I did not test this, but this is where I should start...

I'm quite busy at the moment, but I'll look into it this weekend. Please keep me updated how you progress...

Other suggestions:

If you don't want to fool around in SQL databases the component below might be a a good choice... at least it gets good comments...  but it's still in beta!

http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

Or maybe this one, but I'm not sure if it has restore options: http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

Success! Alex.
Last edited by amu0373 on Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sirwinqt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sirwinqt » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:42 am

Wow!  I discovered the exact same problem as described in the quotes below:
After talking with many at GoDaddy's help line (they are good but I got beyond what many of them understand about their systems) I found one that knew the Joomla "free application setup" creates a database in a "virtual directory" that the user (me) cannot access. So, they copied it and left it in my directory on the original domain name so I could transfer it to the new domain. I also wanted to have it in a location that I can access in a database like your instructions tell me how to set up. I had already set up one when I found your instructions but cannot find how to move my database --or maybe the tables inside it--to the new database at the new domain.
I knew I would not be able to access the "virtual database."  What happened was that my visitor started complaining about the site being "down" with code 2.  I learned that it has something to do with the database connections and it wasn't stable.  What do you know, one thing lead to another, "virtual database" does not WORK very well (in my opionion and I always like everything to be SOLID.)  So, I started researching on how to build database (especially those with goDaddy accounts) and I came acrooss the instruction on how to build a physical mySQL database (to whoever wrote this the step by step guide, THANK YOU and NICE JOB!!!!) 

My next task is to plan, build import data into the physical database.  At the moment, I'm in my planning stage, and I'm very concern on how I can grab the existing data and import them into the physical database.  I read somewhere on Joomla forum, that you will need to manually re-establish the registered users into groups where they belongs.  Whether that's true or not.. I don't know.  So, anyone with experiences with how to plan, build and implement the database willing to post or email me the steps, how to documents tasks and ways or strategies to implement the procedure? 

I really appreciate it and I look forward to contributing my knowledge and experiences to Joomla!  It's the best thing happened for me as a web designer and especially for my organization (http://www.vbdeaf.com)

Please HELP ME!  Yes, I'm screaming now... (there's no emotioncon for SCREAM...  Oh well...)

Steven Irwin

no1san
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by no1san » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:09 am

Hi,

the installiation of the godday software was succesfull.

But I want to install Joomla by myself.
the problem is that the install directory is not there.
http://mysite/installation/index.php

Is it correct that in the install package there is no directory /intallation ?

thanks in advance,
Sander

Edit:
I got this package:
Joomla_1.0.10_to_1.0.11-Stable-Patch_Package.tar.bz2
there is no installation directory
Last edited by no1san on Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

amu0373
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amu0373 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:41 am

You have to upload the the full package. If you install the GoDaddy package you are stuck to their version and their update policy.

no1san
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by no1san » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:25 pm

You have to upload the the full package
Yep. So I don't install the godady package.
If you install the GoDaddy package you are stuck to their version and their update policy.
Thats why I want to install my own package.

But it can't find the installation directory.

amu0373
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amu0373 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:40 pm

If you unzip this package: Joomla_1.0.11-Stable-Full_Package.zip and THAN upload it there will be an installation directory.

Note:

FTP-ing a lot of files might be very slow and troublesome. Often not all files are uploaded correctly or completly.

A better solution is using  phpShell as mentioned in a previous post, you can upload the zip as one file and then unzip it on the godaddy server. Much quicker and more reliable. You'll find it at: http://mgeisler.net/php-shell/

I think I'll incorporate this method in the manual...

Sirwinqt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sirwinqt » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:18 pm

no1san wrote:
You have to upload the the full package
Yep. So I don't install the godady package.
If you install the GoDaddy package you are stuck to their version and their update policy.
Thats why I want to install my own package.
I have goDaddy account and I have no problem installing Joomla on my root directory.  If you want to avoid using the Joomla installation provided by goDaddy, then follow the steps below. 

1.  Download Joomla to your computer and unzip it.
2.  use FileZilla (get free copy by visiting http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/)  Other FTP client does not work well for uploading large files.  By using FileZilla, you avoid losing files during the FTP "Time-Out".
3.  Upload the unzipped files and folder to your root directory or any directory you want.
4.  After the upload, use your browser and use the following URL (NOTE:  mysite = name of your site) http://www.mysite.com/installation/index.php.

You should have no problem installing Joomla on your new site using goDaddy as your hosting provider.  However,  if you want to be able to work with the database directly.  Then you should be aware that you will not have direct access to your database.  Although, there are ways around that problem and I am currently studying the best method to export your database from the “virtual server” and then upload it to mySQL database which is attached to your website.

This will become a neccesary steps if you want to manage the database directly which is something I need to do once in a while.  Also, having the database that you can see from your cpanel creates a strong database connection.  I hope I wrote this step by step well enough to follow and hopefully without any struggles.  Let me know if you have any problem.

Steven ;D

simplymadnes
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by simplymadnes » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:13 am

If I unzip this to a directory called joomla on my hosting account...... do I delete the directory joomla once the install is done? 

foottuns
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by foottuns » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:39 am

no because u didn't setup your database with joomla. this question is a bit out of joomla. :)
I wouldn’t recommend sex- drinks- or Mac for everyone, but they work for me...:)

http://www.webdotdev.com

Sirwinqt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sirwinqt » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:59 pm

simplymadnes wrote: If I unzip this to a directory called joomla on my hosting account...... do I delete the directory joomla once the install is done? 
I want to be extra careful about answering this question.  Base on my interpretation, I'm assuming that you already installed Joomla by using the "Free Applications" through goDaddy account cPanel.  Then you later FTP the Joomla software to your root directory.  If this is what you did, then run the installation from your root directory and install Joomla on your root directory.  After that, it should be safe to remove the /joomla/ directory.  Best method to do this is to use the remove directory via your FTP.  As for the database, it is stored on a seperate server. 

I also want to suggest soemthing, if you got plenty of disk space, I'd keep the original Joomla /joomla as a test site.  This way you can add, test and etc with component without affecting your production site. 

NOTE:  You will not find that database by using the mySQL database from your account cPanel.  Don't ask me why, it's how they configured their servers.

dbbanker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dbbanker » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:46 am

I installed using the value tools through godaddy.  Then I moved everything over to the root directory.  Then I tried my best to edit the configuration.php.  but in the end, it appears that I have not done it correctly because the screen is not showing any graphics.  Can someone please explain what needs to get changed in that file to make it so that the site works in root.

Thanks,
Dan
Last edited by dbbanker on Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

greengatored
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by greengatored » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:35 am

I'm a bit fuzzy what now so i can't go thru all the post on this thread but i need some help on switching to joomla using a GoDaddy hosting as soon as possible.  I only have one hosting account and one domain on godaddy with a live website.  I want to rebuild the website thru the Joomla CMS but I'm not sure what to do. 

Forgive my noobness too, but my question is can i just install Joomla thru a subfolder, work on building the website there then when i'm done remove the old website and move the joomla files to the root folder so people can access the new site?  What steps i have to go thru to accomplish that? 

If my questions are already answered, please point me to the posts. Thanx in advance.

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”