Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
darkcat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Post by darkcat » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:55 am

k4lch wrote:Hi Darkcat
Linux hosting would be better choice for Joomla as it requires php,and mysql.
php isn't normally available on windows hosting.

as for uploading any ftp program will work.
you would need to manually create your database and would have to edit configuration.php to have the correct absolute and cache paths, livesite.

an other way would be to use their value applications site to install Joomla for you then upload any changes you have made. uplaod a copy of your database to the dbbackups directory then login to host manager >mysql click on the pencil icon for you joomla database this will open a page for you to backup or restore you database click restore locate your database sql file click ok and it will load the file to your database for you
hhmm.. thank you for the reply... about the database... i cant understand very well.. and im new to godaddy.. since on my pc.. i am using xampp as a db server for joomla.. and on go daddy... i would just upload the database located on xampp/mysql/data/db_folder_name/....?? or the one which i export a database into "db_name.sql" ??

and regarding to the joomla site... i would just upload the whole folder of my site into my ftp right??

sorry for the questions... im just a noob... and i just wanted to make sure that i am right before i make a move...

-darkcat-

opmaced
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by opmaced » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:22 am

Godaddy includes Joomla 1.5 in their free packages. So you don't have to ftp/upload it: see this Godaddy Tutorial:
http://products.secureserver.net/produc ... index.html

When you activate the Joomla via your Godaddy admin (see Tutorial) it is important to note down name of database and passwords (especially if you are setting up database driven Forms on your website).

cheers

darkcat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by darkcat » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:44 am

opmaced wrote:Godaddy includes Joomla 1.5 in their free packages. So you don't have to ftp/upload it: see this Godaddy Tutorial:
http://products.secureserver.net/produc ... index.html

When you activate the Joomla via your Godaddy admin (see Tutorial) it is important to note down name of database and passwords (especially if you are setting up database driven Forms on your website).

cheers
i am using joomla 1.0.14... is it okay?...... ???

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:50 am

you can upload all of the joomla files to server except configuration.php
Login to host manager
click on databases >mysql
click on create database
enter you username, password and if you are going to have more than one databases a discription.
write these down along with the host information.
it usually takes about 15 minutes to have the database setup for you to upload your sql file.

on you xamp login to phpmyadmin and export your database to an sql file save that to a local folder/
make a copy of your configuration.php save it to open it edit
$mosConfig_db to your server databasename
$mosConfig_host to the host information from your database setup
$mosConfig_users to your server database name
$mosConfig_absolute_path change to something like home/content/x/x/x/username/html
$mosConfig_cachepath change to something like home/content/x/x/x/username/html/cache
$mosConfig_Livesite change to your domain name
save it then upload it to you root directory for joomla
Loyd Headrick
http://wx4lh.info

nkoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nkoomla » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:22 pm

k4lch wrote:
nkoomla wrote:Found the answer: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,226185.0.html

SEO - Search Engine Friendly Links set to Yes apparently doesn't work, or there is some other work around to make it work. I set it to "No" and everything works.

Anyone know where the fix for the SEO is?
have you uncommented RewriteBase added you sub directory to it ie:
Rewitebase /joomla
Yes, and when I turn Search Engine Friendly URLs to Yes, I get page not found errors.

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:45 am

nkoomla
have you renamed htaccess.txt to .htaccess uncommented the rewrite rules
if in sub directory
remove the + from
Options +FollowSymLinks

@darkcat
Site is working from the link you sent just no content in database
Loyd Headrick

justtech
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by justtech » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:48 pm

I believe I am having a .htaccess file issue. I am running on GoDaddy servers with Joomla 1.5. I have my SEF urls working but when I have a sub menu item, it loses my images. My images are saving out as "images/image.jpg" so when I am at a submenu article that looks like "www.sample.com/subdirectory/article.html" my images are not linking all the way back to root. I have manually went in and told my images to point to "../images/image.jpg" but when I save it, it goes back to "images/image.jpg". I know I could take off TinyMCE and edit the html manually, but that won't be practical for the end user. Anyone know how to fix this problem?

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:41 pm

Hi justtech
are your menu images in your template's images directory or in the joomla's images directory?
got a link to site to have a look
Loyd Headrick

justtech
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by justtech » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:54 pm

The images are in the "joomla images" directory or "/root/images/".

The link is http://www.southernrealestatedev.com

darkcat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by darkcat » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:45 am

help ... what shall i do about this error?
Warning: require_once(/home/content/x/x/x/username/html/includes/version.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/x/x/x/username/html/2006_2007/includes/joomla.php on line 71

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/content/x/x/x/username/html/includes/version.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/x/x/x/username/html/2006_2007/includes/joomla.php on line 71

darkcat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by darkcat » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:43 am

ive already solved my problem above...

my new problem is the database couldnt be read..

my db password is correct.. and i cant think of any other solution.. help please? ??? ???
This site is temporarily unavailable.
Please notify the System Administrator
Could not connect to the database server

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:59 am

database name and user set to the same name
$mosConfig_host ='pxxmyslxx.secuerserver.net' ;
Loyd Headrick

darkcat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by darkcat » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:01 am

k4lch wrote:database name and user set to the same name
$mosConfig_host ='pxxmyslxx.secuerserver.net' ;
thank for your reply... ;D

zencowboy7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zencowboy7 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:36 am

Does anyone know where the original .PDF for this thread can be retrieved?

I'm logged in but can't d/l the file from the original location. The post contains a message that .PDF files have been deactivated, so I'm interpreting this as a problem with the file type and not my access to it.

Help!

sansambme
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sansambme » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:02 am

darkcat wrote:help ... what shall i do about this error?
Warning: require_once(/home/content/x/x/x/username/html/includes/version.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/x/x/x/username/html/2006_2007/includes/joomla.php on line 71

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/content/x/x/x/username/html/includes/version.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/x/x/x/username/html/2006_2007/includes/joomla.php on line 71

How is this error solved?? Anyone??!!!

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:12 am

change the paths in your configuration.php
$mosConfig_absolute_path ='/home/content/x/x/x/username/html';
to
$mosConfg_absolute_path=' /home/content/x/x/x/username/html/2006_2007';

same for cachpath
Loyd Headrick

cloudforest
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cloudforest » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:10 pm

Hey... I see that this discussion relative putting joomla 1.0 sites on GoDaddy happened a couple years ago. Sorry I was late!

Anyhow, the manual that this mentions is no longer available and I´ve tried the various modifications to the configuration.php and get error messages that currently say
"Parse error: parse error, unexpected $, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /home/content/h/o/u/houstontravel/html/includes/joomla.php on line 1148"

Hmm. Clearly GoDaddy now installs Joomla 1.5 directly but I really didn´t want to have to migrate this site or anything, it works great on the JSAS installation on my computer and it´s for a specific simple purpose.

I´ve loaded my database and found something about the mysql connecting string code that GoDaddy says should help the site reference the database, but at this point I get pretty lost.

A little help?

fionaby
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by fionaby » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:26 pm

Hi Loyd and the team, anyone upgraded their existing Joomla installation on Godaddy to the 1.5. (Not a new install)?

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:30 pm

Hi Cloudforest
you could try reloading that file to server it could be corrupt.
for configuration
$mosConfig_host ='xxxmyslxx.secureserver.net';
$mosConfig_db ='database name';
$mosConfig_user='database name';
$mosConfig_password='database password';
$mosConfig_absolute_path='/home/content/h/o/u/houstontravel/html';
$mosConfig_cachepath='/home/content/h/o/u/houstontravel/html/cache';

you can find the information for your database by clicking on the pencil icon
this will let you see the host information for the batabase and you can backup and restore from there too
if you upload your existing database to the db_backup directory you can use the restore function to load database

Hi Fiona
I have 1.5.1 running on server@ http://k4lch.com and 1.0.15 http://k4lch.info if you want to look don't have all the same components and modules working on the 1.5.1 I migrated most of the 1.0.15 site to 1.5.1 but you can see it works fine.
Loyd Headrick

revoredo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla! SEO on GoDaddy shared host... NOTHING WORKS

Post by revoredo » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:43 pm

This is my second site build using Mambo/Joomla CMS. Fantastic resource. Can't celebrate it enough.

However, some of the finest details in the provided code don't take all scenarios into account. Such seems to be the case with my recent Joomla 1.0 installation on a GoDaddy shared Deluxe account.

First, my pre-existing situation:

Shared hosting via GoDaddy Deluxe account, domain in question hosted in subdirectory, Joomla 1.0 installed in this subdirectory, apache server software, Linux host.

Now, the problem scenario:

I wanted to incorporate a tool that would aid me in finding the genuine links to content within my pages. As a first step in doing so, I turned on the SEO options. Following instructions, I renamed the htaccess.txt file to .htacess Immediately after doing this, my domain failed to load, with a strange http:/// (extra "/") loading in the protocol. After reading a few forums, I decided to wait up to an hour to let GoDaddy's servers update the cache. I also called them and they confirmed the troubleshooting. No such luck. It still fails to load. Since I back up everything I change, I deleted the renamed .htaccess file and reinserted the original htaccess.txt, then turned off the SEO options. After another hour, I reloaded the domain and still experience an "Address Not Valid" error message in IE6. Yes, I dumped my local cache.

Don't think I stopped there. I kept reading the forums and determined there could be any single or combination of rule rewrites in the .htaccess that may solve this. I performed each or a combination of all the following:

-Comment out "Options +FollowSymLinks"
-Edit "Options +FollowSymLinks" to "Options FollowSymLinks" (no +)
-Add Options "Options +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch" (probably does no good as I am running Linux)
-Comment out both of the above lines
-Comment out all Rewrite ("RewriteCond") rules
-Retain, but edit all Rewrite ("RewriteCond") rules to incorporate subdirectory, "^(/subdirectory/component/option,com) [NC,OR]

What I haven't done:

-Edited configuration.php (I wouldn't know where to start)
-Bashed my brains in

The only symptoms I can't point out are the IE6 error: "The address is not valid," the fact that I can still log into my backend control panel, I can still resurrect the Joomla Unpublished website page when I delete the .htaccess file reinsert the htaccess.txt and turn off the SEO options, and I am able to load a broken version of the front page in both Safari and Firefox (though with a URL not valid popup) but none of the interior pages.

I would be happy just being able to reverse this process and go back to square one before I even fudged with the SEO options. But as you can see, even my first attempt to do so failed.

I hope I haven't left anything out. Any ideas that aren't already listed above?

fionaby
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by fionaby » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:11 pm

Looks good Loyd. I seem to be having a folder issue I get these kind of errors......
JFolder::files: Path is not a folder /home/content/f/i/o/fionab/html/fionabyrns.com/images/stories
Where would I change to correct. The main one I noticed was the media manager has these errors when I open in Admin and in frontend no pictures are displayed?

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:26 pm

Revoredo
Godaddy recently upgraded php to php5.25 uncomment Options +FollowSymLinks if you removed the + added it back now.
un comment #Rewritebase /

Fiona
try reloading the admin directory to server us binary mode only
Loyd Headrick

revoredo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by revoredo » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:00 pm

k4lch wrote:Revoredo
Godaddy recently upgraded php to php5.25 uncomment Options +FollowSymLinks if you removed the + added it back now.

Fiona
Thanks, Fiona. This is very interesting, as it is new information from what I've read.

I'm in the midst of waiting for a cache update now, so I will respond with news once I've implemented your suggestion. However, let me get this straight:

I am reverting to the original .htaccess file created from the renamed, original htaccess.txt
This file will retain the "+" in the "Options +FollowSymLinks" line. Also, I will uncomment "#Rewritebase /" by removing the "#" from the head of the line. The remainder of the code will be original (included below for your reference). I don't see it being a problem since I'm not currently using a third party.

So I take it everything I described was familiar to you? I called GoDaddy a few times but didn't get this suggestion. Then again, they're not liable for supporting user code. I'm not discouraged yet from continuing to use them... but this does give me pause. One last thing... since I am a noob, how do I reload the admin to server us binary mode only?

Thanks again!

EXISTING HTACCESS CODE:
## Can be commented out if causes errors, see notes above.
Options +FollowSymLinks

#
# mod_rewrite in use

RewriteEngine On

# Uncomment following line if your webserver's URL
# is not directly related to physical file paths.
# Update Your Joomla!/MamboDirectory (just / for root)

RewriteBase /

########## Begin - Joomla! core SEF Section
############# Use this section if using ONLY Joomla! core SEF
## ALL (RewriteCond) lines in this section are only required if you actually
## have directories named 'content' or 'component' on your server
## If you do not have directories with these names, comment them out.
#
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.htm|\.php|\.html|/[^.]*)$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(content/|component/) index.php
#
########## End - Joomla! core SEF Section

########## Begin - 3rd Party SEF Section
############# Use this section if you are using a 3rd party (Non Joomla! core) SEF extension - e.g. OpenSEF, 404_SEF, 404SEFx, SEF Advance, etc
#
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.htm|\.php|\.html|/[^.]*)$ [NC]
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
#RewriteRule (.*) index.php
#
########## End - 3rd Party SEF Section

########## Begin - Rewrite rules to block out some common exploits
## If you experience problems on your site block out the operations listed below
## This attempts to block the most common type of exploit `attempts` to Joomla!
#
# Block out any script trying to set a mosConfig value through the URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} mosConfig_[a-zA-Z_]{1,21}(=|\%3D) [OR]
# Block out any script trying to base64_encode crap to send via URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} base64_encode.*\(.*\) [OR]
# Block out any script that includes a <script> tag in URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (\<|%3C).*script.*(\>|%3E) [NC,OR]
# Block out any script trying to set a PHP GLOBALS variable via URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} GLOBALS(=|\[|\%[0-9A-Z]{0,2}) [OR]
# Block out any script trying to modify a _REQUEST variable via URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} _REQUEST(=|\[|\%[0-9A-Z]{0,2})
# Send all blocked request to homepage with 403 Forbidden error!
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php [F,L]
#
########## End - Rewrite rules to block out some common exploits

revoredo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla! SEO on GoDaddy shared host... NOTHING WORKS

Post by revoredo » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:39 am

k4lch wrote:Revoredo

Fiona
Fiona,

Thanks again for the advice. Unfortunately, even after clearing the local cache and waiting for the server to update, the recommended .htaccess edit still results in an "Address not valid" page error. Could you give me some idea on how to reload the admin directory, if that is indeed a crucial step.

Something tells me this has everything to do with the fact that this domain is hosted in a subdirectory. Although, it seemed to me that un commenting the Rewritebase line should have corrected that. Do I have to include the subdirectory name somewhere?

Perhaps there are other index or php changes that were committed upon making the earlier changes? Should I be editing code elsewhere? I'm still receiving that third / in the http line (ie, "http:///"). Also, like I said, the front page is loading in other browsers, but no interior pages.

I'm going to continue hunting the forums and elsewhere... I have a feeling this is a simple code/script error, but all the troubleshooting seems to be missing the mark. Any clue why undoing the changes and reverting back to the htaccess.txt file and checking the SEO options to 'no' doesn't fix the error?

Thanks, I would appreciate any further advice you might have!

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:43 am

with your install located in a sub directory then change this Rewritebase / to Rewritebase /"thenameof your directory"
Loyd Headrick

revoredo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by revoredo » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:16 am

k4lch wrote:with your install located in a sub directory then change this Rewritebase / to Rewritebase /"thenameof your directory"
That was one of my latest edit attempts. It seemed to me that must have been part of the problem.

As it happens. I desperately wanted to revert back to the original setup. Instead of editing back the file name, I went back to my backed up Joomla install files and recopied the htaccess.txt file. Once turning off the SEO options, the website finally registered in every browser.

Of course, this means I've failed to get the .htaccess to work properly and use SEO... but after all this downtime, I'm reluctant to even attempt this again.

Any thoughts why none of these suggestions worked? Does the htaccess.txt file experience some internal change once the file name is renamed and reverted back? If so, then perhaps I can try Fiona's suggestions on a fresh version of htacces.txt

Then again, that may be a while until I can gather the nerve -- thanks again!

fionaby
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by fionaby » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:56 am

Thanks loyd.......Note guys all advice is from loyd - The Man you rock. Am printing the advice and will follow this afternoon, will report back afterwards.

fionaby
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by fionaby » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:32 pm

k4lch wrote:

Fiona
Did that no change any other tricks?

vinnyqp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vinnyqp » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:00 am

Awesome !

Just Awesome..you Sir are a savior.

Love Joomla... not to happy with version 1.52 though and recently GoDaddy made a change and only support auto install on latest version of Joomla user the Hosting Control Panel.

With the help of your simple tutorial I am where I need to be version 1.05 on my own with no assits/auto install from Godaddy.

I thought it was going to be hell on Earth...thank the Lord for people like you and forums like this..a savior!

jdesnr
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jdesnr » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:16 pm

I have transferred a joomla 1.0 site from my MAMP to godaddy. I followed all the instructions above and now have this message

Joomla! Logo
name_of_site

the db and user name are the same
$mosConfig_host = 'p50mysql147.secureserver.net';

Can you point me in a direction to get this to work? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
darkcat wrote:ive already solved my problem above...

my new problem is the database couldnt be read..

my db password is correct.. and i cant think of any other solution.. help please? ??? ???

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”