Delete articles in database when deleted from Joomla

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
manualva7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Delete articles in database when deleted from Joomla

Post by manualva7 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:56 pm

This is a very old, ongoing problem. I can delete an article in Joomla Administrator but that same record still appears in phpmyadmin. I have to manually delete it from the database. The problem is, the database then gets populated with unnecessary information. I noticed it also happens in Vtiger. Anyone expert on databases can help me solve this? Thanks in advanced.

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Delete articles in database when deleted from Joomla

Post by dhuelsmann » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:18 pm

Did you remove it from the trash after deleting?
Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

Perses
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Perses » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:10 am

To continue on from what dhuelsmann said: Items that are sent to trash are not fully deleted and are still in database. The Trash is in effect a recycle bin. Therefore items you trash can be restored. To check for articles in trash and delete them permanently go to: Admin > Article Manager. Click dropdown for State and select Trash. Put check next to articles you want to delete from Trash and then click Empty Trash.

manualva7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by manualva7 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:19 pm

Thanks for the replies. That still doesn't solve the problem.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:15 pm

I don't have a Joomla 1.0 site any-more to check with, but in 1.5 it's Content->Article Trash. That will list the Trashed Articles.

manualva7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by manualva7 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:39 pm

Ok guys. I really appreciate all the replies but I think I might be misunderstood. Anyone who knows anything about phpmyadmin would know that if you delete an article from Joomla, since 1.5, the action will still not delete the row from the database where it resides. I noticed since a couple of times I've deleted a menu item to create another menu item with the exact same name and Joomla does not permit it since it still exists inside the database. In order for me to proceed with this, I'd have to go to phpmyadmin and delete the row manually. The first time I noticed this I got curious and went on to the table that holds all the articles and discovered a whole bunch of deleted articles where still there. This is not efficient in any way and I think Joomla developers (or CMS developers at that) must sit down with phpmyadmin developers to see how they can avoid the overpopulation of unwanted and unnecessary data in Joomla's database by simple telling phpmyadmin to delete a row where an article resides when it is deleted in the Joomla's administrator's page. Just a suggestion. Thanks for reading. :P

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by dhuelsmann » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:49 pm

You are incorrect. First you send the item to the trash (article or menu item) then you empty the trash. Voila, no longer in database. No phpmyadmin activity required.
Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”