Moving site to 1.5

engberg
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Moving site to 1.5

Post by engberg » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:51 am

Hi

I have a joomla site, which I'd like to upgrade to 1.5, when it's public on thursday...

I do NOT want to spend hours on correcting little changes in php-files, so I'm thinking of installing joomla 1.5 from scratch and then copying my database and the config-file..
Also I'll have to install my components and modules again, and upload all pictures...

Is there an easier way - this seems pretty much like hard work!!

Kasper

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Moving site to 1.5

Post by Tonie » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:55 am

I wouldn't recommend migrating to 1.5 BETA yet, this is NOT going to be a stable release yet. There will be no instant update/upgrade. You will need a new installation for Joomla 1.5 before you are migrating.

stanj
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stanj » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:44 am

I would like to try the new version, like so many others who are anxious to see it.  I intend to create a live test site and would like to use a copy of the existing db used by our current live site if that is possible.  Is the database structure the same or will it be best to create the articles and content from scratch?
Is there a rough guess as to how long before we might expect a stable release.  I am trying to figure out our upgrade path, to continue developing  our existing site through the winter for next spring in our highly seasonal business or plan on having a ready-for-prme-time 1.5 version by mid spring?
Thanks
Stan

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:46 am

When you want to migrate, you have to set up a new install of 1.5 anyway. There is a tool that can migrate your Joomla content.

stanj
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stanj » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:02 am

Thank you for the speedy reply and an answer that indicates it will be easy to be able to work with copies of some of the existing data. If the existing articles and data can be migrated I will just continue working on the current version that will apply to visitors to the site next spring and migrate to 1.5 when its time. 

I wanted to add that I've written my own CMS(rather crude), a few other CMS, and my own db driven sites before discovering Joomla and I must say this  incredible system puts all before it firmly into the "obsolete" catagory.  I very much appreciate all the hard work and lost sleep that must go into creating such an easy to use, stable and highly flexible system.  The development team deserves all users respect and support.
Stan

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 BETA”