Joomla 1.5 Components/Extensions

magnusprime
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla 1.5 Components/Extensions

Post by magnusprime » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:50 pm

Just a thought... I think it might be good to have an area of the site which is specific to components/extensions that are for Joomla 1.5 as apposed to Joomla 1.0. 

Right now, when I look through the extensions directory, I am under the impression that its all for 1.0 versions, and not for 1.5 versions.  Where do I find 1.5 versions of those extensions?

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Joomla 1.5 Components/Extensions

Post by Asphyx » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:00 pm

Well until 1.5 is actually at the release candidate stage it is not really possible to say that any extention is a 1.5 or not....

There are some who have been 1.5 ready for quite some time, and other are not affected by any changes (mostly because they don't require any DB data.)

I like your idea of giving 1.5 compat extentions some marking to say they are 1.5 ready but I don't know that you can do that until 1.5 is at the RC or Stable stage.

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by RussW » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:12 am

Each Extension has its compatibility label on the right hand side of the description. A graphic that states 1.0 and/or 1.5  etc etc
Joomla! on the fabulous Sunshine Coast...
hotmango, web & print http://www.hotmango.me/
The Styleguyz https://www.thestyleguyz.com/

magnusprime
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by magnusprime » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:11 pm

Hmm... I must have missed that.  But still, being able to search/sort on the version you want would be a nice capability, that way it only shows you ones that are compatible with what you are looking for.

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:42 pm

What I'm trying to say is lets make sure these 1.5 compat labled extentions actually are compatible once we get to release candidate...

At least the functionality is there on the extentions site but we also have to make sure that what was written for 1.5 actually works with the RC and Final...

bascherz
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by bascherz » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:01 am

Is the 1.5 label supposed to be used only for extensions that are fully compatible with 1.5, or are some developers affixing if if their module works in 1.0.x compatibilty mode? I'm a bit unclear on that, but I have been assuming the 1.5 label means it doesn't work in 1.0.x unless it's marked with that label also.

I second the motion of having an extension category that includes only extensions marked with the 1.5 compatibility label. In fact, once 1.5 is actually released as a non-beta, people will be desperate to replace their 1.0.x extensions with equivalent 1.5 extensions and will probably want a quick way to keep tabs on such progress.

Will it be possible to mix 1.0.x extensions running in compatibility mode and full 1.5 extensions on the same site? This would be extremely useful while developers migrate their extensions over to the 1.5 platform.

Cheers!
Bruce
Bruce Scherzinger

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 BETA”