Menu link question

jonflgiles
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Menu link question

Post by jonflgiles » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:30 am

Christmas greetings to you all!

I'm sure you will all be busy updating to 1.0.12 as i write this but a question relating to 1.5beta is burning in my mind!!

I am trying to create a menu item in the main menu which links to a new menu and loads into a the same position - replacing the main menu. I have created a secondary menu which has alternate menu items in it including a link back to the frontpage item. I had tried to use the alias menu item in the mainmenu but couldn't work out how to load the second menu module.

One way of doing it would be a second front page module - i think, but from my fairly limited experience and knowledge of Joomla i am fairly sure this isn't possible!

Is this within the realms of possibility for Joomla! 1.5? if not then i will probably settle for just using a sub menu and retaining the toplevel main menu.

Does this make sense??

Jon

jonflgiles
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Menu link question

Post by jonflgiles » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:35 am

Actually having revisited this in my test install I think the only real way to do this might be to have a 2nd frontpage as there would not be any content on the secondary menu page.... there really is no way to do this is there?

If there is a way to work around this or implement it then let me know otherwise tell me i'm an ignorant newbie and i'll live with it!! ;-)

Jon.

Jinx
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jinx » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:18 pm

Hi Jon,

Just to make sure I get your question right, do you wanna have this alterning menu on the frontpage too ?

Johan
Johan Janssens - Joomla Co-Founder, Lead Developer of Joomla 1.5

http://www.joomlatools.com - Joomla extensions that just work

jonflgiles
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jonflgiles » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:11 pm

Hi Johan,

I guess I didn't explain myself particularly well - the final outcome would be that the site has a second menu which replaces the main menu to allow access to (in this case) more in depth info. In an ideal world the content displayed when the new menu is loaded would also be different - as if it were a secondary frontpage - but I think this is not a "feature" of Joomla! per se - Am I missing something here?

The obvious way to do this i suppose is (i think i said this before) if to have a secondary level menu in a different location as well as the main menu which is opened by a link on the mainmenu... still getting my head around menus!

I did try adding a menulink item to the main menu but got stuck when it came to the link name - that is when you view the link it points to ../10?Itemid=10 (where 10 is the automatic itemid in the link field for the link item. I didn't immediately figure out the format to call the module for the secondary level menu (called infosite) so that's as far as I got with that. Did search the forum for more help on this but didn't get far i'm afraid!

In brief I am trying to achieve a simple static frontend site with say 5-6 static content articles linked to from the mainmenu then a link on the menu "opens" a much more in depth info site which will capitalise on Joomla! CMS in blogs and user published articles. I considered those top-level elements could be a non-CMS site which then links to a self contained Joomla! site as if it were part of it - but that would be cheating ;-)

I'm still a Joomla! newbie but am really keen to try and learn how all this stuff works...! I wanted to try this in 1.5 (although I realise it is still in beta) so that I can use the newer features from the outset.

Thanks,

Jon.

Jinx
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jinx » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:01 pm

Jon,

What you need to do is only show the frontpage menu on the frontpage. You can set this in the menu modules. You then show your alternate menu on the pages you created links for in the mainmenu and voila, menu switching in place.

Johan
Johan Janssens - Joomla Co-Founder, Lead Developer of Joomla 1.5

http://www.joomlatools.com - Joomla extensions that just work

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 BETA”