After Upgrade - blank page in the front and backend!

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
lilmiss
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: After Upgrade - blank page in the front and backend!

Post by lilmiss » Tue May 17, 2011 11:00 pm

I had issues with a clients site. I was able to get it uploaded fine however wasn't able to get the frontend of my site to show...it would only show a blank white screen. I was able to login backend. To resolve my issues of the frontend not showing was to go backend: Global Configuration> SEO Settings> my client had all set to yes:

Search Engine Friendly URLs
Use Apache mod_rewrite
Add suffix to URLs

I set them to no...made sure I had my .htacess file correct and then had the first two set to yes. Add Suffix to Urls was causing my site to go blank frontend.

PS. I also had problems login in backend and had to reset my admin password. This explains easily how to do that.
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 8#p1510138

shotwell
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shotwell » Fri May 20, 2011 9:03 pm

After enabling the acesef component, the web site and the joomla admin module showed the blank page (fatal error). I had taken an akeeba backup right before installing acesef. I ran a restore with kickstart in ftp mode. Got the site back but I still had a blank page after the Joomla admin login.

The blank page after login meant that the cPanel was not accessible. Yet you are logged in to the Joomla admin module.

2 tips mentioned earlier in this thread made all the difference:

1) turn error reporting on by editing your configuration.php.

added the following line after the } and before the ?> this is what you get
}
ini_set( 'display_errors', true ); error_reporting( E_ALL );
?>

2) To get into the admin module just type in the URL to global configuration:
http: //yourdomain.com/administrator/index.php?option=com_config

After I logged in to the Joomla admin module with error reporting, sure enough the acesef component was throwing a json error:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function json_decode() in /var/www/vhosts/yourdomain.com/httpdocs/administrator/components/com_acesef/library/factory.php on line 44

Once I got the root cause verified, I typed in the url for global config and voila! I got back into the admin module. Once I uninstalled the acesef component I got my cPanel back.

I lost a half day with this issue. Hope this helps someone. Thanks to everyone for those earlier posts.

beededea
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by beededea » Sun May 22, 2011 10:39 am

Never - never install anything on your main site.

Anyone with any sense will have a test environment, it is easy to duplicate the live site, apply the changes there and test. If it breaks something there, then who cares?

Again, never apply any change to the live site without testing first.

You said you could not access cpanel, acesef cannot be breaking access to cpanel, it is just causing problems with your domain name, you must be using a URL with your domain name in it to access cpanel.

Cpanel access should always be possible by typing a URL that takes you directly to the server, something like:

https://secure.servername.com:2083 - you are then presented with the cpanel login.

You need to replace servername.com with your own server name.
Yereverluvinunclebert
Steampunk widgets. Platforms of choice: Joomla 1.0/1.5, Joostina 1.2, OSCommerce
Site aims: Optimisation, Security and Solidity
http://widgets.yahoo.com/widgets/steamp ... k-calendar

valdez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by valdez » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:55 pm

I've to disable "Phoca Gallery Plugin"

problem solved in joomla version 1.6.4

I've Phoca Gallery plugin working in joomla 1.6.0 with no problems.

beededea
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by beededea » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:24 pm

Valdez - I think you posted in the wrong place
Yereverluvinunclebert
Steampunk widgets. Platforms of choice: Joomla 1.0/1.5, Joostina 1.2, OSCommerce

valdez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by valdez » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:37 am

beededea wrote:Valdez - I think you posted in the wrong place
Maybe i don't explain very well!

I'm using joomla 1.6.4 and after i install Phoca gallery plugin, when i try to authenticate at the backend, as Super Admin, i received a blank page instead the normal backend page.

beededea
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by beededea » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:56 pm

Right, did you backup before the installation?
Yereverluvinunclebert

valdez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by valdez » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:55 pm

beededea wrote:Right, did you backup before the installation?
I didn't, but I just have to disable the plugin "plg_content_phocagallery_3.0.3" (in joomla 1.6.4) and everything backs to normal. I have never used the plug in. In fact I don't need it!

I've posted here because sometimes we think we've a hard problem (blank pages) and it could be a compatibility problem between new joomla versions and components, modules or plugins.

My advice. Always teste before implement and teste individually every component/module/plugin after install.

mardulia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mardulia » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:58 pm

I'm having the same problem. :-( In my case I've installed a site locally to work on it. The front end is fine but the administrator is showing a blank page everywhere. I've tried manually setting $live_site in the config file a couple of different ways. No luck. Could there be something going on in .htaccess? The site works fine where it is remotely. Any ideas would be appreciated.

threeway
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by threeway » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:39 am

I hope following resources may be helpful to you. Please visit them.

http://docs.joomla.org/Upgrade_Instructions
http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/joo ... pgrade.htm

8)
http://www.southwesternsummer.com - Southwestern Company

digital_mind
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by digital_mind » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:52 am

I had the same problem. I upgraded from joomla 1.6.6 to joomla 1.7 . After upgrading the site looked fine on frontend and backend untill i tried to login. once I entered username and password it gave me blank page on frontend and backend. I didnt know obviously what was causing it but i knew most probably it is some extension module or plugin which is causing it. So how do i know which plugin or module. So First thing I did was to change $error_reporting = '-1'; to $error_reporting = '6135'; in configuration.php file so it shows me the exact error. After changing that I reloaded the page and it showed me the exact error. In my case the blank pages were caused by an incompatible plugin. So i opened my site in ftp and just deleted the whole folder of that plugin. VOILA!! as soon as I did that the whole world was back to normal. i was able to login on frontend and backend just like before.

I hope it helps.

beededea
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by beededea » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:22 am

@digital_mind - that is fine but please understand that you upgraded from 1.6 to 1.7, this is the area for Joomla 1.0.
Yereverluvinunclebert

tadejh
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tadejh » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:26 am

digital_mind wrote:I had the same problem. I upgraded from joomla 1.6.6 to joomla 1.7 . After upgrading the site looked fine on frontend and backend untill i tried to login. once I entered username and password it gave me blank page on frontend and backend. I didnt know obviously what was causing it but i knew most probably it is some extension module or plugin which is causing it. So how do i know which plugin or module. So First thing I did was to change $error_reporting = '-1'; to $error_reporting = '6135'; in configuration.php file so it shows me the exact error. After changing that I reloaded the page and it showed me the exact error. In my case the blank pages were caused by an incompatible plugin. So i opened my site in ftp and just deleted the whole folder of that plugin. VOILA!! as soon as I did that the whole world was back to normal. i was able to login on frontend and backend just like before.

I hope it helps.
After spending two days searching for my problem on forums, completely changing everything on the server, including ovveriding with a totally fresh copy of template, I found this solution with error reporting.

Thank you digital_mind, you're a lifesaver, it worked for me perfectly!!!

tadejh

saadiqh
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by saadiqh » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:32 pm

Hi,
I just installed a component (upgrade) and experienced a subsequent blank page. Couldnt log in (front and backend). Luckly, i made a complete backup of my entire joomla public_html directory.

I edited the error logs in public_html\administrator directory to confirm the problem. It clearly indicated the source of the problem (the component creating the problem). What happened is that during the upgrade my internet line went down, causing half an upgrade to occur..geez!

I deleted the problematic directory and copied the orginal files from the backup i made. Logged back into joomla, deleted the entire component and re-installed it

I hope this helps someone. Not good to experience such silly errors

Regards,
Saadiq

cristalweb
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cristalweb » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:07 pm

daksys wrote:... This is just so stupid !!!
After a minor upgrade, got the totally blank front-end and back-end pages, not even a login...
After hours browsing the forums, poking the config file and re-loading the entire website I finally found that there was two pages a the root directory and /administrator directory called index.html (zero bytes).

Guess what, when your browser try to access the site, by default it process the .html instead of the .php
Simply removed those two files and .. Tadaaa.. The sites showed up !!!

Hope it helps 8)
Thank you daksys. I had the blank frontend page after installing Joomla 1.6 template at GoDaddy. My administrator site was working fine and when I typed index.php on the frontend my site was working too. I tried modifying htaccess without success. Lucky me I found daksys' post ... renamed default.html to something else and my web site was up and running. Thank to pointing me in the right direction. :)

Ishtar
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Ishtar » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:53 pm

The solution guatebus posted solved my blank page.
;)

mpaua
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mpaua » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:26 am

I Have the nsame problem in site www.bolsaportugalnegocios.com. I tried to disable last modules. The problem has in DJ-MultiTree Menu. Very strange because was working fine, the problem only born when i tried to to copy a copy for another place.

dr_candyman
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dr_candyman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:22 pm

Disable the Social Icons. Worked for me.
Go to Template Manager: Edit Style, the in Social tab (next to General) Show Icon, turn all to No, maybe it will work for you too.

Sovichea_cheth
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Sovichea_cheth » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:16 am

digital_mind wrote:I had the same problem. I upgraded from joomla 1.6.6 to joomla 1.7 . After upgrading the site looked fine on frontend and backend untill i tried to login. once I entered username and password it gave me blank page on frontend and backend. I didnt know obviously what was causing it but i knew most probably it is some extension module or plugin which is causing it. So how do i know which plugin or module. So First thing I did was to change $error_reporting = '-1'; to $error_reporting = '6135'; in configuration.php file so it shows me the exact error. After changing that I reloaded the page and it showed me the exact error. In my case the blank pages were caused by an incompatible plugin. So i opened my site in ftp and just deleted the whole folder of that plugin. VOILA!! as soon as I did that the whole world was back to normal. i was able to login on frontend and backend just like before.

I hope it helps.
Oh my god, Thank you very much for this post. It took me 4 days until I found this it fixed my problem. :-[ :'( :) :D

sarakaj
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sarakaj » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:35 pm

In my case I had to disable the module : System - JCK Typography after seeing the error:
Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/sarakaj/public_html/ManSar.us/plugins/system/jcktypography/jcktypography.php on line 58

Hope this helped

dklovedoctor
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dklovedoctor » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:58 am

I hope it helps.
you rule
i ate the whole internet and found a solution here!

Return to “Upgrading - 1.0.x”