upgrade .13 -> .15; invalid session

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
yosupya
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: upgrade .13 -> .15; invalid session

Post by yosupya » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:07 am

i have the same problem.
i solve it to set session.use_strict_mode off.

fraternite
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fraternite » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:11 am

How did you set that and where did you go to do so?

I cannot log in to Admin panel. So any changes have to be implemented from the cpanel. Please point me on what to do.
Thank you.

jdhanley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdhanley » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:12 pm

I am not sure which file you need to edit, but you can FTP into your account, download the configuration file, edit it, and then upload it again.

jamirawan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jamirawan » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:48 pm

This doesnt work for me...?? :'( I had a new installation, didnt want to use 1.5 for consumer's internet speed reason.

progra3 wrote:Thanks sfetter! your solution made the difference for me on ipowerweb.

To recap here is what I did.

1. I created a /sessions/ directory in /public_html/web/

Where web is my directory where joomla was.

2. Create a two line php.ini

With the following two lines.

session.save_path = /full link to your account/public_html/web/sessions
register_globals = OFF

where /full link to your account/ is what is the absolute path in your configuration.php file.

3. PUt the php.ini file at the root of the administrator directory in

/public_html/web/administrator

Voila!

It worked. Man this was a time sinker.

Where would the world be without 'google' and 'forums'!

Scary!

Thanks for all the suggestions.
sfetter wrote:Just realized from reading your reply that I skipped a step in my description. I've been struggling with this problem too long. :'(

As I understand it (and remember, I'm a newbie!!!) PHP needs some place to store the session data. The default place to do this in in the /tmp folder of your service provider.

If you want to store the session info somewhere else (like within your own installation) you need to create a directory to put it in. I called mine "sessions" which seems to be a fairly common thing to call it, judging from the various threads about this. CHMOD the directory you created to 755 so it's writeable.

When you create your custom PHP.INI file, you need to make sure that the path/to/your/Joomla installation is the "absolute path" used by your service provider. You'll find a copy of that in your CONFIGURATION.PHP file -- look for the line that reads

$mosConfig_absolute_path =

The absolute path is everything inside the quotation marks.

Careful of typos -- even one letter wrong means the thing won't work at all!

Hope that helps

nkchop
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nkchop » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:09 pm

I've got, I think, the opposite problem. I'm able to access the administrator, but the front end comes up "Restricted Access". Sorry if this has been answered already, I couldn't find it. (Newest install.)

gary_not_joomla
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gary_not_joomla » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:25 pm

meadwench wrote:Working on a user site running 1.0.1.5 in a Windows server 2003 running IIS environment, and had no issues until last week. Oddly, no changes made, but got the error.

I tried all the php.ini changes, no luck. What helped me was the addition of:
session_save_path('/absolute/path to/session');
to the end of my configuration.php file, and voila, it let me right in.
After reading and trying loads of stuff this one worked!!!!!!

Thanks!!!

Why I suddenly had the error on 2 installations after not going near it for 3 months is to say the least weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dshawnusa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dshawnusa » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:30 pm

Worked like a Charm. IIS users try this first.

aaanativearts
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aaanativearts » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:56 am

First I tried all the solutions offered in this 4 page thread and none of them worked for me, although they solved the problem for a lot of people. After I tried each one, I reverted it back to the original files.

I then applied the fix files referenced at http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=200725 and it still didn't work, but I didn't change them back yet.

Then I realized my absolute paths in the configuration file reference mydomain.com (without the www.) but I was trying to access the admin panel from http://www.mydomain.com/administrator/
When I dropped the www. now it works normally, without the invalid session problem.

Don't know if it was a combination of the two things, or just the last that fixed it.

budiperkasa
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by budiperkasa » Sat May 12, 2012 5:49 am

nkchop wrote:I've got, I think, the opposite problem. I'm able to access the administrator, but the front end comes up "Restricted Access". Sorry if this has been answered already, I couldn't find it. (Newest install.)
You can set folder permissions manually or you can make it an automatic part of the deployment process

cool0
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cool0 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:58 am

Return to “Upgrading - 1.0.x”