Missing admin menu after upgrade, cant find solution on forum

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
itsallvoodoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Missing admin menu after upgrade, cant find solution on forum

Post by itsallvoodoo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:48 pm

I have been running mambo for about 2 years now, its taken me a while but finally i have a decent site up and running.
When i found out about Joomla i felt my loyalties are with joomla and not mambo and so i've been waiting for the right time to upgrade.(i originally chose Mambo because it was open source)
I decided to upgrade recently as i am trying to get investors interested in my music web portal
so want to get it stable asap. http://www.giggallery.co.uk

I'm having a problem with the admin main menu page.
My admin seems to be working ok except when i try to access 'menu' 'main menu'
all i get then is a blank page. all other pages seem to be ok.
This means i cannot access my main menu catagories/links etc

I've read through the forums and seen many answers to similar problems but non for this particular 1

I've tried different browsers, checked my java console, tried different machines.
As far as i can tell all other aspects of admin seem to be running ok, buttons seem ok
its just the admin main menu issue.

could this be a mysql issue?
if so i'm pretty much stuck cos i have no mysql experience (except for viewing the phpmyadmin console and beeing baffled)

Originally i was running mambo 4.5.2 and then upgraded to joomla 1.0.5 in a different folder
on my server, every thing seemed ok so i decided to delete my mambo and replace it with joomla 1.0.7 version
I set most of my site back up successfuly but then discovered the menu issue.
I then deleted my my website and started again with 1.0.7
i installed 1.0.7 , removed installation folder, copied configuration.php from old mamb to joomla,
Site came up ok, then checked admin and discovered main menu was still broken.
I can carry on setting up site but without the ability to add to the menu i'm stuck!

Any help in pointing me in the right dirrection would be gratefully appreciated
Last edited by itsallvoodoo on Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slixter
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Missing admin menu after upgrade, cant find solution on forum

Post by Slixter » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:21 pm

First thing I can think of to check is to make sure you have the menu type mainmenu in the database.  In phpmyadmin go to your database, click on jos_menu, click on the browse tab and look for mainmenu in the menutype column.

--Slixter
--Search the forums and you will find your answer

itsallvoodoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itsallvoodoo » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:26 am

Thanks for your reply,
I have checked the mysql database and looked in mos_menu (all my items in the menu have the mos prefix, not jos, is this correct?)
I found that mainmenu is there in the menu type column.

irlundee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by irlundee » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:44 pm

I am running 1.07 and it is a fresh install. I too have the same problem. Everything is fine but when one goes to edit items in mainmenu, the page loads, you can see it loading and the source code reveals that it loaded but nothing displays.

Checked PHP also, the sections are all listed in jos_menu

anyone have an idea how to fix this, or a way to re-install the portion of joomla without starting everything again?

Thanks

I spent 2 hrs making all the sections and categories and just as I finished, this started happening.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:14 pm

Do you experience the same with another browser? Do you have a firewall running? Do you have the same at http://demo.opensourcecms.com/joomla/index.php?

irlundee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by irlundee » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:31 pm

Thanks for the reply Tonie,

I checked out the demo - mainmenu items show up fine in the demo
I do have Windows Firewall on, I turned it off just to check, no dice
I exp. the same problem in Firefox and IE

I'm not sure what triggered the problem, I was making menu items for sections and categories under those sections for a few hours, just getting the hang of joomla now. I thought I was set and ready to drop my items (articles) and BAM - the thing won't display. I don't know if it was caused by hitting back on the browser (I know that I had to click next to see more items (more than 30) and it started acting strange then) Checked source, seems to be executing to a point and checked the PHP admin for the menu and I see all the menu items there.

I would be happy to just make a new menu but I just don't want to install Joomla and start all over again after making all my sections and categories.

Any ideas for a solution OR how I can re-install the menu alone, or how I can start afresh yet keep my sections/categories pages that I made.....

Thanks for your time
Last edited by irlundee on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:17 pm

I haven't seen this behaviour before. What does't display, the items in mainmenu? The menu items on the frontpage?

itsallvoodoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itsallvoodoo » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:16 pm

Nothing displays!
just a white page.

I get the same effect in ie or ff.

p.s. re-installing has not solved the problem for me.

Slixter
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Slixter » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:28 pm

But the usermenu and other menus display correctly?

Can you edit the mainmenu items if you enter the url directly?  Like

index2.php?option=com_menus&menutype=mainmenu&task=edit&id=1&hidemainmenu=1

--Slixter

irlundee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by irlundee » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:57 pm

Tonie,

It is when you go to 'edit items' , say you clikc menu - then you try to edit the items in 'mainmenu' you can't. The page doesn't load, just the administrative panel at the top.

The menus appear fine on the frontend, just now you can't edit the 'mainmenu' items on the backend, the other menus are still editable.

Wacked out problem....

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:45 am

How many items where in the mainmenu section. Is there a Javascript error on the page or other errors that are visible?

itsallvoodoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itsallvoodoo » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:52 pm

I have probably 30-40 items in my main menu, although most are not published.
I cant see any errors on page, it just says 'done' in the bottom left corner of browser
when i try to access page, the page is just blank.

Slixter
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Slixter » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:14 pm

Try using this in the backend to set the list limit to 1, which would only show the first item in the mainmenu, and if the first menu item shows up then increase the number to 2,3,4 etc. to see if it is something in the title of one the menu items that is causing it to mess up.  If it works and suddenly goes to the white page you know which item it is and you can delete it from the database manually.

index2.php?option=com_menus&menutype=mainmenu&limit=1

This is a strange one for sure :(

Otherwise we should probably backup a little bit and get your System Info so we can see if it some wierd compatibilty issue.  System --> System Info

--Slixter
Last edited by Slixter on Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irlundee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by irlundee » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:22 pm

Hey Slixter, you are on to something.

I have over 50 items, when I set it to index2.php?option=com_menus&menutype=mainmenu&limit=28

It stops displaying, anything up to 27 DISPLAYS!!!

Interesting, so item 28 seems to be be the problem, is there is safe way to delete that on myPHP without messing anything up?

Please advise......

and Thank you so much!

irlundee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by irlundee » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:13 pm

Update:

Ok, Slixter's suggestion to reduce the limit in the mainmenu display worked to allow me to see up to ITEM 27, I then

1. flipped forward by 5 items at a time
2. then I was able to see Item 28 (looked normal in terms of the text, no funny characters etc - just brackets used, maybe Joomla has a beef with brackets!)
3. I deleted ITEM 28 when I seen it
4. Then tried to load the Main Menu page regularly, got a 500 error
5. logged out
6. Logged in using Firefox (I don't know if that means anything, but for the record, I logged out in IE and switched to Firefox
7. Logged in, clicked on Main menu and everything appears now.

File that under wonky but there is something with the display of items, I don't think it was because Item 28 was a problem, something to do with the saved view settings (moving to 50 displayed instead of 30 and/or hitting back after that on the browser)

Strange Indeed....

itsallvoodoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itsallvoodoo » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:09 pm

thanks slixter
I too now have my main menu working! although i'm not sure if its an issue with menu names
i think it is possibly an issue with amount of menu items.

I followed your instructions and managed to display up to item 37, when tring to accesss 38 items i got
the blank screen again (although when i re-freshed i got a error about memory allocation beeing exceded). I then deleted an item and was able to see the next item.
I have a menu item called band directory, in that catagory i have a sub menu item for all the letters of the alphabet,
these items are not published and where initially created just to find the correct link to the items.
As these are not needed anymore i have deleted them, hey presto problem solved.(in ie and ff)
Don't no if this error will come back when i fill the menu items up again.

Thanks for your help guys
steve

gGuzz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gGuzz » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:01 pm

I've got the same problem: missing content. The menu's are available, some components too.

Take a look at http://www.hipermoulding.com.

I've tried the Slixters' solution but I got no access to the menu's
I also tried to upgrade to joomla 1.0.8 but the problem consists.

gGuzz

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:20 pm

Are all your categories and sections published?

gGuzz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gGuzz » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:51 am

Yes,  I viewed the tables and the field 'published' of categories and sections = '1'.
Also the content has a publish-up data e.g. '2006-01-10' and a publish-down e.g. '0000-00-00'

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:30 pm

All seems to be working now, I just get an error when clicking downloads. That seems to be a Docman problem.

gGuzz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gGuzz » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:11 pm

Yes, the content section of the site is working again. I upgraded a second time joomla 1.0.8.
I still have two problems: DocMAN and the backend administrator section doesn't show up in a proper way.
Error: Fatal error: Call to undefined function: rownumber() in /data/members/paid/h/i/hipermoulding.com/htdocs/www/administrator/modules/mod_logged.php on line 77
Perhaps this has to be a new thread.
Also en error after logging in: Hi, 0 . I saw this somewhere at the forum. I'll try to find it again.

Thanks for your help.
gGuzz
Last edited by gGuzz on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:07 pm

Don't know about Docman, are you using the latest version? Otherwise I would open a new thread in the Components forum.

For the login 9 problem, please take a look here.

gGuzz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gGuzz » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:34 pm

Login problem solved!
Thanks again.

Regarding the problem in the back-end: I overwrote all files in the administration-directory with the files for the full package. : problem solved.

gGuzz
Last edited by gGuzz on Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maurovanetti
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

What really causes the unreachable mainmenu problem?

Post by maurovanetti » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:35 pm

We are experiencing the same problem in 3 distinct websites running on the same server.
In all those websites, "mainmenu" could not be accessed. If you try to do that, you get either a connection error (if you are using Firefox, a download is launched: the file you can download is an empty one called index2.php) or you are required to log in again into the administration panel (this happens with both Firefox and IE). In one of those websites, another menu was also not accessible. In all of them, other menus were correctly accessible.
The problem doesn't seem to be related to a single menu item. In one of those menus, items could be displayed in a list limited to 18, 19, 20 items but not 21. The 21st item had nothing special, and in any case we tried to change its position and move it to the 22nd position: nothing changed; the list was still correctly displayed up to 20 item and did not work with a 21-item limit. In any case, once you access the list with a limited display, you can visit the whole of it if you set a low number of item as the display limit in the drop-down menu below the list (Display #). If the menu is set to a high number (30, 50) the problem occurs again.
We temporarily fixed the problem by setting the List Length parameter to 10 in Site | Global Configuration | Site (you need to log out and log in again to have the new parameter applied).
We also tried to copy the broken menu and the new copy preserves its exact behaviour.
What could be the cause of this weird problem? The problem was witnessed on Joomla! 1.0.12, 1.0.13 and 1.0.15.
It must also be noticed that this begin to happen suddenly in 3 different websites after a week in which we experienced some server breakdowns caused by traffic spikes.

Thank you very much for any help you can give us.
Last edited by maurovanetti on Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maurovanetti
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Missing admin menu after upgrade, cant find solution on foru

Post by maurovanetti » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:46 pm

PS: By the way, this issue is not related to upgrading, therefore we should move it to somewhere else. I'm copying my previous post to the Administration - 1.0.x forum, providing a link to this thread. You can find the new thread here: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=275883

yevkalaws
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Missing admin menu after upgrade, cant find solution on

Post by yevkalaws » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:00 am

I've just done 1.7.0 to 1.7.2 and the menus are fine, but the Administration menus displayed under "Site Administrator" after login are gone. Is this the same problem you had?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Missing admin menu after upgrade, cant find solution on

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:25 pm

yevkalaws: This topic is 8 years old and is about upgrading from Mambo to Joomla 1.0. Apparently not the same issue that you are having.

Post in the correct forum.

Return to “Upgrading - 1.0.x”