Backup and upgrade from 1.0.10

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
patjk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Backup and upgrade from 1.0.10

Post by patjk » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:36 am

I have a very old site that is still going strong, even though it is running 1.0.10. Well, its time to upgrade. What is the best way to backup a site this old? I have quite a few extensions, particularly Docman, which I can't afford to lose.

Once I backup, what is the best way to upgrade Joomla to the latest version from 1.0.10? And approx. how long will this take?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

ozneilau
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Backup and upgrade from 1.0.10

Post by ozneilau » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:44 pm

The best backup tool for Joomla 1.0.x is JoomlaPack. It's not supported any more but can still be downloaded from: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/jpack/frs/

Depending on how much data you have to migrate, the migration path will likely be Joomla 1.0 -> Joomla 1.5 and then Joomla 1.5 -> Joomla 2.5. This is not a trivial task and will likely take days rather than hours.

The good news is that the Joomla 2.5 -> Joomla 3.5 is expected to be a bit easier.

Neil

patjk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by patjk » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:30 am

ozneilau wrote:The best backup tool for Joomla 1.0.x is JoomlaPack. It's not supported any more but can still be downloaded from: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/jpack/frs/

Depending on how much data you have to migrate, the migration path will likely be Joomla 1.0 -> Joomla 1.5 and then Joomla 1.5 -> Joomla 2.5. This is not a trivial task and will likely take days rather than hours.

The good news is that the Joomla 2.5 -> Joomla 3.5 is expected to be a bit easier.

Neil
Hi Neil,
If I use JoomlaPack, can I restore my Docman files too in an event something goes wrong?

Also, why it is so trivial? Days sounds like a disaster for simply updating software...

Thanks for your time.

ozneilau
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by ozneilau » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:05 am

Hi,

JoomlaPack evolved into the present day Akeeba Backup. All files and the Joomla database are backed up into one compressed file. So yes, DocMan is also backed up in the process.

It's really a "migration" rather than an "update". As the architecture of Joomla changed significantly from 1.0 to 1.5 and then again from 1.5 to 2.5, this means that a new website needs to be built, usually with a new version of the template and new versions of all the third party extensions. Sometimes developers discontinue support for new versions of their extensions and substitutes have to be found. The content and extension data then needs to be migrated across to the new website.

There are utilities such as JUpgrade and SP Upgrade (my favourite) that help you migrate the core Joomla content including things like Weblinks, Contacts, Banners, Modules etc, but the process for third party extensions varies. With some extensions, tables can be exported from the previous version and imported into the new version and there is little else to do. Other extensions have utilities that amend the data for you as it is migrated. Before embarking on a migration, you will need to have strategies in place for migrating extension data for each extension that needs data to be migrated e.g. DocMan. This applies to the Joomla 1.0 to Joomla 1.5 migration and the Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5 migration.

I hope this gives you some idea of what is involved.

Neil.

patjk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by patjk » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:49 am

ozneilau wrote:Hi,

JoomlaPack evolved into the present day Akeeba Backup. All files and the Joomla database are backed up into one compressed file. So yes, DocMan is also backed up in the process.

It's really a "migration" rather than an "update". As the architecture of Joomla changed significantly from 1.0 to 1.5 and then again from 1.5 to 2.5, this means that a new website needs to be built, usually with a new version of the template and new versions of all the third party extensions. Sometimes developers discontinue support for new versions of their extensions and substitutes have to be found. The content and extension data then needs to be migrated across to the new website.

There are utilities such as JUpgrade and SP Upgrade (my favourite) that help you migrate the core Joomla content including things like Weblinks, Contacts, Banners, Modules etc, but the process for third party extensions varies. With some extensions, tables can be exported from the previous version and imported into the new version and there is little else to do. Other extensions have utilities that amend the data for you as it is migrated. Before embarking on a migration, you will need to have strategies in place for migrating extension data for each extension that needs data to be migrated e.g. DocMan. This applies to the Joomla 1.0 to Joomla 1.5 migration and the Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5 migration.

I hope this gives you some idea of what is involved.

Neil.
Hi Neil,
Good to know. Docman is primary extension. All others aren't a loss if I can't upgrade, as the site is mostly content.

Is it possible to do the upgrade into a separate site, then migrate it over live once I've successfully done the upgrade? I'd hate to have a lot of downtown, and would also hate to make a mistake and loose the current site as is. If this is possible, can you direct me on how to do this properly?

Thanks!

ozneilau
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by ozneilau » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:19 am

Hi,

Usually I create a new database and build the new website at www.websitename.com/new and copy everything across (rather than move) so the original website is untouched. Once I am happy with the new website, I move the current website to www.websitename.com/old and move www.websitename.com/new to www.websitename.com. I keep the old website handy for a while in case I've missed anything.

This minimises disruption to website visitors.

I haven't done any DocMan migrations before. I wonder if it's possible to migrate Docman data directly from Joomla 1.0 to Joomla 2.5? This might be a good question for the Docman developers.

Neil.

patjk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by patjk » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:21 am

Excellent. Thanks a bunch.

patjk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by patjk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:43 pm

This project got put on the back burner, but now I am on it. Got a duplicate site setup with the files and DB.

I am trying to go from 1 to 1.5 now, and the Migrator links on this page bring me to a login screen:
http://docs.joomla.org/Migrating_from_1 ... 1.5_Stable

Can you recommend links for the upgrade from 1 to 1.5, and 1.5 to 2.5?

Thanks.

ozneilau
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by ozneilau » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:51 pm

2mino
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 2mino » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:11 pm

I want to do a backup of Joomla 1.0.11
When you get back up and update your Joomla modules and components, and plug-in installed will be a problem?
Where should I start it there is not a problem? Thank you
http://babya.ir/
http://karajab.ir/replacement-water-filters/ - تعویض فیلتر دستگاه تصفیه آب

patjk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by patjk » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:41 am

I just attempted to load the migrate.sql file from Joomla 1.0 during the installation of Joomla 1.5, and I get this error:
Error at the line 32376: INSERT INTO jos_menu (`id`,`menutype`,`name`,`link`,`type`,`published`,`parent`,`componentid`,`sublevel`,`ordering`,`checked_out`,`checked_out_time`,`pollid`,`browserNav`,`access`,`utaccess`,`params`,`alias`) VALUES ( '1','mainmenu','Home - original','index.php?option=com_frontpage','components','0','0','10','0','2','0','0000-00-00 00:00:00','0','0','0','3','menu_image=-1\npageclass_sfx=\npage_title=CleanComputerHelp.com : Antivirus, Antispyware, Firewalls, & Online Scanners!\nshow_page_title=0\nback_button=0\nnum_leading_articles=1\nnum_intro_articles=2\nnum_columns=2\nnum_links=1\norderby_pri=\norderby_sec=front\nshow_pagination=2\nshow_pagination_results=1\nimage=1\nshow_section=0\nsection_num_links=0\nshow_category=0\ncategory_num_links=0\nshow_title=1\nlink_titles=\nshow_readmore=\nshow_vote=\nshow_author=\nshow_create_show_date=\nshow_modify_show_date=\nshow_pdf_icon=0\nshow_print_icon=0\nshow_email_icon=0\nunpublished=0\nshow_title=1\n','home-original-mainmenu-1');

Query:INSERT INTO jos_menu (`id`,`menutype`,`name`,`link`,`type`,`published`,`parent`,`componentid`,`sublevel`,`ordering`,`checked_out`,`checked_out_time`,`pollid`,`browserNav`,`access`,`utaccess`,`params`,`alias`) VALUES ( '1','mainmenu','Home - original','index.php?option=com_frontpage','components','0','0','10','0','2','0','0000-00-00 00:00:00','0','0','0','3','menu_image=-1\npageclass_sfx=\npage_title=CleanComputerHelp.com : Antivirus, Antispyware, Firewalls, & Online Scanners!\nshow_page_title=0\nback_button=0\nnum_leading_articles=1\nnum_intro_articles=2\nnum_columns=2\nnum_links=1\norderby_pri=\norderby_sec=front\nshow_pagination=2\nshow_pagination_results=1\nimage=1\nshow_section=0\nsection_num_links=0\nshow_category=0\ncategory_num_links=0\nshow_title=1\nlink_titles=\nshow_readmore=\nshow_vote=\nshow_author=\nshow_create_show_date=\nshow_modify_show_date=\nshow_pdf_icon=0\nshow_print_icon=0\nshow_email_icon=0\nunpublished=0\nshow_title=1\n','home-original-mainmenu-1');

MySQL: Duplicate entry '1' for key 'PRIMARY'

Stopped on error
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

ozneilau
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by ozneilau » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:09 pm

It looks like you have a duplicate entry.

If the migrator is copying items across with the same ID, then the copy will fail unless there is an option to overwrite?

I usually try to delete all the existing menu items from the target website before starting but you usually can't delete the default menu item.

It's usually a good idea to permanently delete trashed menu items and articles from the source website before starting the migration as the migrator might try to migrate these too.

I haven't actually used the Joomla 1.0 to 1.5 migrator but maybe someone else can jump in here and explain the best course of action.

Neil.

patjk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by patjk » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:13 pm

ozneilau wrote:It looks like you have a duplicate entry.

If the migrator is copying items across with the same ID, then the copy will fail unless there is an option to overwrite?

I usually try to delete all the existing menu items from the target website before starting but you usually can't delete the default menu item.

It's usually a good idea to permanently delete trashed menu items and articles from the source website before starting the migration as the migrator might try to migrate these too.

I haven't actually used the Joomla 1.0 to 1.5 migrator but maybe someone else can jump in here and explain the best course of action.

Neil.
I was using the migrator on a fresh installation. I was going through the installation of a fresh site, and after entering database details I uploaded the migrator.sql file from the Joomla 1.0 site. Not sure how there could be duplicates on a fresh site, unless I'm doing something wrong. There is no overwrite option either.

Thanks.

ozneilau
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by ozneilau » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:58 pm

It looks like there is some relevant advice about "duplicate entry" migrator errors and other errors at: http://docs.joomla.org/J1.5:Common_Migrator_Errors to do with the prefix and permissions.

Neil.

patjk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by patjk » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:09 am

Thanks. After looking into this, trying to hire someone, I've found it isn't worth the effort. I will start mostly from scratch, aside from copying the Docman files.

Thanks again.

Return to “Upgrading - 1.0.x”