[KNOWN ISSUE] Yahoo hosting upload of Joomla failed...

aravot
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

[KNOWN ISSUE] Yahoo hosting upload of Joomla failed...

Post by aravot » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:09 pm

Yahoo hosting upload of Joomla 1.0.8 following folder includes/js/jscalendar-1.0 failed with this message
553-Names must contain only ASCII letters (a-z,A-Z), digits (0-9), underscore, dot and dash.
553-Names must not start with a dot (.) or dash (-).
553-For additional info please visit:
553-See http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/webhosting/gftp/
Last edited by stingrey on Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeanMarshall
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Yahoo hosting upload of Joomla failed...

Post by DeanMarshall » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:19 pm

Not sure if this was a question or just a statement - here is some further info just in case it was a question:

Yahoo expressly forbids the use of .htaccess files.
If you try to so much as upload one you get an error.

The upshot of this is that you cannot use SEF urls with yahoo hosting.

Dean
Dean Marshall Consultancy - six Joomla experts - http://www.deanmarshall.co.uk/

Joomla Experts - Joomla Support http://www.deanmarshall.co.uk/joomla-se ... pport.html

aravot
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by aravot » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:47 pm

DeanMarshall wrote: Not sure if this was a question or just a statement - here is some further info just in case it was a question:
I guess both informing other users and Dev team perhaps not to use dot (.) and dash (-) in file and folders and if there is a work around without need of changing host.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:43 am

As far as I am aware, no file in Joomla installation starts with dot or dash (hyphen).
The only one that could be considered is, as dean says, .htaccess, and this is done by the user later in the process.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

aravot
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by aravot » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:28 am

The folder with dot and dash is in the first post 'includes/js/jscalendar-1.0'

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:40 am

@Aravot

The wording "START" is the key here.
Dots and dashes which are not aT the beginning of a name are OK.
  ;)

EDIT: the failure in that case could be related to  a confusion concerning the "extension" and not the dots and dashes:
Our FTP servers also check to see if the file being uploaded has the correct file extension. For instance, if you have a .bmp image and change its file extension to .gif or .jpg, the file will be rejected.
That could mean that Yahoo understand the "dot zero" of "jscalendar-1.0" as an extenson, can't map it and reject it.
Last edited by infograf768 on Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

aravot
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by aravot » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:47 am

I get the error on that folder, so my guess is it doesn't like the dot and the dash regardless of whether it is in the beginning or not.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:06 am

Do you have an error for this file:
configuration.php-dist
or
globals.php-on
or all the folders:
en-GB
or files
en-GB.com_banners.ini  etc.

If not, draw your own conclusions.

aravot
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by aravot » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:37 pm

It stops on the folder which I mentioned, it doesn't continue any further, I am using ws_ftp I'll try with another ftp program and report back.

JohnnyG
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JohnnyG » Sat May 13, 2006 7:56 pm

infograf768 wrote: Do you have an error for this file:
configuration.php-dist
or
globals.php-on
or all the folders:
en-GB
or files

Hi all

I have done a few installations of Joomla (and previously Mambo), and like to think I'm now one step further than a total noob on doing so. But, I must agree with the above problem.

I receintly (yesterday) tried to upload Joomla (with VirtueMart) to a Yahoo hosting account, using FileZilla. I had "failed" errors on a whole bunch of files, and after trying both ASCII and Binary methods (with no success), I sat looking at these files for a few minutes to try figure out what they all had in common. Well, they all had "." in them. NOT only starting with a "." , but also just including a ".".

Here is a list:

includes/js/jscalendar-1.0/* (7 files)
administrator/components/com_joomlaxplorer/.include/* (26 files)
administrator/components/com_joomlaxplorer/.config/* (5 files)

infograf768 wrote: Do you have an error for this file:
configuration.php-dist
or
globals.php-on
or all the folders:
en-GB
or files

Negative. These files all uploaded correctly. It apears the problem lies directly with the use of "." in directory names.

So, can I please request that the developers of these components, mambots, or any other part of Joomla, please refrain from using a "." in any of their file or folder names, where it doesnt conform to standard use. Use a "_" instead. I thought this would be standard anyway? (maybe a vote from others to proove I dont stand alone on this)

Also, does anyone have any idea how I could get around this problem for now? Or do I need to change my host?
(if it requires changing php code in a few files, I have the time to do so, but if its hundreds of files that need changing.. ;) )

Thanks again for a great product.
Flash 8 ROCKS !
Joomla
LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
main site: http://www.scd.co.za

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sun May 14, 2006 5:43 am

See this post above:
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... 03397  ;)

It corresponds indeed to the errors you get.
I do agree that this should be known to 3pd.

stingrey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: [KNOWN ISSUE] Yahoo hosting upload of Joomla failed...

Post by stingrey » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:56 pm

This issue is best addressed in 1.5.x series rather than the 1.0.x series.
Rey Gigataras
http://www.wizmediateam.com <-- great team of talented Web Designers and Programmers!
http://about.me/reygigataras <-- About Me :)
Partner, Business Development & Project Manager, Event Manager, Sports Coach :D

JohnnyG
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JohnnyG » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:22 pm

stingrey wrote: This issue is best addressed in 1.5.x series rather than the 1.0.x series.
Much respect to you guys!

I can't wait for 1.5 !!
Gonna be HUGE !!!!!

Can I send money?... ;)
lol

BTW: I have changed hosts, so Im not sure that I would be able to help test on Yahoo hosting in future. (sorry)
Flash 8 ROCKS !
Joomla

chinarut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chinarut » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:15 am

I want to take a moment to summarize my conversations with Yahoo! Small Business Technical Support on this (case KMM9876684V72140L0KM)

They acknowledge "jscalendar-1.0" is not a file name they are willing to support on their servers in any foreseeable future.

I've requested two items:

1) a formal change request to change the FTP server error that is misleading many of us.

2) a formal enhancement request to support standard UN*X file naming conventions

I've temporarily renamed the directory to "jscalendar-1_0" - could someone clarify where my site would break?

I'd like to make sure I unpublish the offending module if at all possible.

thanks!

JohnnyG
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JohnnyG » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:39 am

chinarut wrote: I want to take a moment to summarize my conversations with Yahoo! Small Business Technical Support on this (case KMM9876684V72140L0KM)

They acknowledge "jscalendar-1.0" is not a file name they are willing to support on their servers in any foreseeable future.

I've requested two items:

1) a formal change request to change the FTP server error that is misleading many of us.

2) a formal enhancement request to support standard UN*X file naming conventions

I've temporarily renamed the directory to "jscalendar-1_0" - could someone clarify where my site would break?

I'd like to make sure I unpublish the offending module if at all possible.

thanks!
Firstly, thank you for requesting all that from Yahoo, but I wouldnt bet that they would actually go and make those changes for you. (good luck though! )

Secondly, renaming the directory (in this case "jscalendar-1.0" to "jscalendar-1_0")  is great start, but many of the files it contains also have names that include the "." character. These could all just simply be 'renamed', thats not hard. Keep in mind though, that these files are all called, and referenced, by other files, and by each other. You would also need to open up each and every file that contains referance to the "jscalendar-1.0", and change it to reflect "jscalendar-1_0".

That means a LOT of work! And.. all for "nothing", because if you had to go and create another site, you'd have to do all that work over again. Also, the chances of all this working first time are very poor.

Thus, my request to all Third Party developers to please refrain from using a " . " symbol at all in file or directory names.

It seems that this problem is specific to Yahoo hosting only, at this time.

I'm well aware that to the Third Party developers, that means that this is a very low priority issue, and my request may never be actually done, so I have decided to change hosts. (I use various hosts anyway, and was just trying out yahoo as a test).

I highly recomend simply using another host provider, chinarut .
(simpler, better, faster, cheeper, no hassel) ;)

All the best.
Flash 8 ROCKS !
Joomla

chinarut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chinarut » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:23 pm

JohnnyG wrote: Firstly, thank you for requesting all that from Yahoo, but I wouldnt bet that they would actually go and make those changes for you. (good luck though! )
no problem!  I hear ya -  I'm not so concerned about pushing the change itself but rather that Yahoo! update their change tracking system (ie. bugzilla, trac, clearquest, collector, what have you) and track the issue - you give me a tracking ID and keep me in the loop as needed, I'm a happy camper!

that said, the first issue is important as the error reported is a tad bit misleading as "jscalendar-1.0"  adheres to this rule:

553-Names must contain only ASCII letters (a-z,A-Z), digits (0-9), underscore, dot and dash.

JohnnyG wrote: Secondly, renaming the directory (in this case "jscalendar-1.0" to "jscalendar-1_0")  is great start, but many of the files it contains also have names that include the "." character. These could all just simply be 'renamed', thats not hard. Keep in mind though, that these files are all called, and referenced, by other files, and by each other. You would also need to open up each and every file that contains referance to the "jscalendar-1.0", and change it to reflect "jscalendar-1_0".
Point taken.  I'm not looking to fix the issue right now (i believe it's addressed in 1.5 if I'm reading threads correctly)  - what I need to know is what I can expect to break - in other words, what uses the JavaScript Calendar 1.0 component?

In this manner, I can avoid using a component, module, mambot, page, that depends on it.
JohnnyG wrote: I highly recomend simply using another host provider, chinarut .
(simpler, better, faster, cheeper, no hassel) ;)
I agree with you - Yahoo! web hosting facilities while definitely geared for the newbie user, is a bit clunky in my book.  I just can't change my client's past decision esp with sister sites already being hosted on the server!  *grin*

chinarut

JohnnyG
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JohnnyG » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:42 pm

Hi again
chinarut wrote: ...that said, the first issue is important as the error reported is a tad bit misleading as "jscalendar-1.0"  adheres to this rule:

Yes ! Thats my reason for raising it. Yahoo error is poor in this regard. They need to sort it out. :P

chinarut wrote: ...I need to know is what I can expect to break - in other words, what uses the JavaScript Calendar 1.0 component?

In this manner, I can avoid using a component, module, mambot, page, that depends on it.
Far as I know, nothing but the calender itself. Everything else works. (me thinks)

chinarut wrote: ...Yahoo! web hosting facilities while definitely geared for the newbie user, is a bit clunky in my book.  I just can't change my client's past decision esp with sister sites already being hosted on the server!  *grin*
Flash 8 ROCKS !
Joomla

midge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by midge » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:05 pm

I have a yahoo accout that I am desperate to get joomla working on. I am happy to give access to a trusted developer to use it to de-bug the problems

chinarut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chinarut » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:16 pm

ok - the good news is our Joomla! install on Y! has been working pretty well even with the missing calendar code.

midge, could you be more specific as to what's happening on your end?

what are you expecting to happen?  what happens instead?

If you haven't tried already, start the whole install from scratch and use the Joomla! install wizard running on your Y! server.

Once you get that working, other tasks may become more straight forward.

midge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by midge » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:49 am

chinarut:

I have tried installing joomla about 10 times using various different strategies each time. I have tried installing it directly into the root as well as into /joomla/ I have tried different database names and users and nothing seems to fix my problem. My problem is, that, after installation "every time" I get a completely blank screen for both my site and my admin. If I right click the page to view the source, there is abosolutely nothing there. I have checked all my config files and they were all witten to during the installation, no problems, each time I renamed or deleted the install file before calling the pages. My database after install has been populated with all of the tables from the installation. But always a blank screen. I have tried the install from both explorer and mozilla, no difference. If I try to access a secured page I get the normal "You are not Authorized" error. but every time I try to go to a standard index page I get zero content. Out of frustration and thinking that I was doing something wrong, I set up easyPHP and installed joomla locally on my PC, I ran the install with all the same permissions and database name as is on my server and "BINGO" after install, joomla was alive. I can't help but think it is something simple but I am not really savvy enough with PHP to put my finger on the problem without some guidence. I this problem can be resolved, I will put my hand up to write a tech note for Yahoo Users that experience the same problem. Joomla should run as far as I can see. Love to hear your thoughts.

midge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by midge » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:53 am

chinarut:

BTW - I am installing the full install package of 1.0.10

midge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by midge » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:02 am

BTW Again - I am using Smart FTP to upload my files using auto binary/ascii. As far as I can see all of the files were uploaded but Smart FTP does not have a compare function. Does anyone know if there is an FTP client thar does?

Take Care guy's and Gal's thank for taking interest

Dave

midge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by midge » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:04 am

Guy's Guy's Gal's Gal's,

I just fixed my problem, I'm so excited. I slowly crawled through the code of the index page to track what was happening and checking that the files that the index page was referencing were there, then, suddenly, ||| BOING ||| there it was there was no php.mailer file in my  includes directory. When I had a closer look with smart FTP it all came to light. The reason the files did not come across was because the upload was interupted by the js-calender folder and files. I individually upladed the missing folders and files and disregarded the js-calender folder and now it works, I am so excited, now I'm gunna go happy joomlaing.

Thanks to all who helped me persist.

Kindest Regards

Dave

chinarut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chinarut » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:32 pm

ah - yes, the inability to upload that js-calendar folder to Yahoo! servers is exactly what this thread is all about - glad you figured it out!  8)

ps. for you Windows users - Core FTP was great in reporting failed files and folders - just FYI

verigy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by verigy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:31 pm

hey,
was going thru the posts here, since i am stuck with the yahoo webhosting service.
I was wondering if I cud still use yahoo small business and use joomla?
if not which are the hosting services you would recommend?

I would appreciate your earliest possible reply..

Emm :)

chinarut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chinarut » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:06 am

verigy:  you defintely are a newbie (no fault of your own)

the short answer to your question is -yes.

please read the entire thread and you'll get all the answers you need to make it happen.

cheers,
chinarut

snock
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by snock » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:14 pm

I also had the same problem but it was easy to fix. As i can say now.
There are two problems with running Joomla on Yahoo.
First is the js calender that can't be uploaded. fix rename the directory.
Second maybe more important.. The PAth.. That is where my installation got stuck..
Joomla doesn't reconize the absoluth path  wich will return in an error.
If you just put in a forward slash "/" the installation will work.
Still problem with it? just type anything and fix the problem later in your configuration file manualy

http://www.oluddenizweddings.com&nbsp; working on Yahoo (so far  :) )

PS when will Joomla fix his spelling checker. does not reconize Joomla ?????

Return to “Known Issues - Archive”