Login Issue

klockej
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Login Issue

Post by klockej » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:56 pm

I am currently working in a test enviroment with Joomla to see if it will do what we want it to, but we have ran into a problem. We had a problem with the Login module where it would post double URL's and i found this article http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,46684.0.html and it fixed the problem. But it is now giving us another problem. Now when I log in as my test users, it loops back to the main page and acts like no one ever logged in. I can get into the administraition peice but after a user registers it will not let them log in.

Sorry if this has already been discussed i must have missed it.

tickleme
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Bunch of Frontend Issues--getting tossed out, content, staying logged in.

Post by tickleme » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:40 pm

Hi,

I'm using Joomla 1.0.8 with Community Builder, Joomlaboard (newest version) on a PHP5, MySQL 2.6.4-pl2, Apache Server.  I'm having frontend login issues.  For some reason I can log in but it doesn't stay logged in when I'm doing something through the frontend.  I can do some things but every once in a while I get tossed out after hitting "Post" in Forum or "Save" when adding content.  I can't create a homepage from the frontend in CB, nor can I add content as my editors go crazy.  Was having some of these problems before I installed CB as well.  And then I get Cannot Find Server" on this /index.php?option=com_joomlaboard&Itemid=38&func=showcat&catid=12

I've had my time-out in php.ini file increased to over 2 minutes, I've been told there is nothing wrong with my server, and everything is off of strict mode.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks lots and don't forget to Tickle the Muse within you!
Tickleme

pergolesi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Bunch of Frontend Issues--getting tossed out, content, staying logged in.

Post by pergolesi » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:42 pm

This is some problems you have, and everyone of a mystic nature.

I'm experiencing the same problem in being logged out from time to time, and for my clients this is pretty annoying. I haven't found any real patterns, it just happens from time to time. Especially when you try to save or apply. Another interesting thing is that it is mostly Internet Explorer that is affected. Safari and Firefox on mac are working more reliable.

I'm also running v. 1.0.8

Gruss
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Login Issue

Post by Gruss » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:10 am

I'm having the same issue.  I'm doing some searches on the forum to find anything else.  I'll post back here if I do.

Gruss

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:04 am

Hi klockej and gruss,
there are some known issues with 1.0.8. Rey has posted solutions for this here: http://dev.joomla.org/component/option, ... d,33/p,68/

I'm not 100% sure if your problem is among them, but take a look at it.

Further I'd like you to take a look at the absolute beginners guide for Joomla: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,47524.0.html
If you are not allready familiar with Joomla, this will give you a good starting point.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

slickibc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Login does not operate properly

Post by slickibc » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:17 pm

I have a problem with my login. Let me start by saying that my login works fine with Firefox, it is with I.E. 6.0 that I have the issue. When I go to log in with either my registered or my admin log in it appears that the page is doing just that, it goes back to the home page but does not show me my registered compnents. I log in to the admin area and I am showed to be logged in, but nothing shows up. As I mentioned before, all is fine in Firefox. I have talked to a couple of freinds and had them log in using I.E. 6.0 and they logged in fine. I hope this is enough info. Thank in advanced for the help.

Slick

RobS
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Login does not operate properly

Post by RobS » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:27 pm

Do you have cookies disabled in IE 6.0?
Rob Schley - Open Source Matters
Webimagery - http://www.webimagery.net/ - Professional Consulting Services
JXtended - http://www.jxtended.com/ - Free and Commercial Joomla! Extensions

slickibc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by slickibc » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:35 am

I believe I have them enabled. ??? I go to control panel/internet options and then to privacy and my cookies are set at medium. Is there another place I need to be aware or? I have had this set to "Accept all cookies", when this started happening thinking it was my cookies setting, but still same problem. Is there another area that I need to be aware of?

Slick
Last edited by slickibc on Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

pergolesi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pergolesi » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:31 pm

Is there no one out there experiencing these kinds of problem? It's pretty annoying, and I can't figure out what does it. It has to be some cookie problem, but it's no consistence in the behaviour.

Please comment on this issue, so that it can be resolved without the help of God.

Thanks.

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:29 pm

Please take a look at the developer blog from Rey Gigataras in the developer network (The big button on top of this page stating "Developers") There are some bugs in 1.0.8 and Rey collected some solutions for this.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

bingster
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bingster » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:46 pm

im sry to say, but none of your solutions works. I just want to let off some steam toward sthe joomla team cuz i have been relly pissed off by your latest release. The 1.0.8 release does what so many other updates has done since mambo time, it dosent work. You guys release an update to fix security problems...thats fine, exelent, but then we get huge login problems, so the security problem isent an issue anymore because because people cant login :'( This is not a problem for most joomla sites because mostsite are based on personal pages, but for the ones who want to make serious busines out of joomla and runs big sites with alot of members, and they get all these problems...this can be a big blow. Dont take this wrong, iknow you guys are making a great job, and all in your sparetime, but i wish that you would stop spitting all these updates out before you have done som serious testing on them. It was the same problem in Mambo time.

I will give joomla a last chance to prove itself in 1.0.9, but if it samo samo....unfortunately you have lost a formerly happy customer.
flash master funk

bingster
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bingster » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:47 pm

yes we all have this problem...and the team is aware of it. You can read my experience in the post above this.
flash master funk

slickibc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by slickibc » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:31 pm

Login issue fixed. Downloaded the zip file for the login issue and place in appropriate place and now able to log in. Thanks for the help.

Slick

Virtute
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Virtute » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:22 am

I find the issues similar to what I'm experiencing also. Here's the thread where I have posted with my issues:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,45423.0.html

I migrated from Mambo and started using Joomla 1.0.7.  It hasn't been a happy migration so far. 

bingster
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bingster » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:49 am

hi slickibc

The fix isent fixing anything....have you actually tried it?. It just made some other weird stuff?
flash master funk

slickibc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by slickibc » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:24 am

Your right, flash, I tried again and now it is doing the same thing. Odd isn't it. The internet, isn't it crazy. Hope you brainiacs can figure this one out. I am not sure what to do. Keep me posted if you find a solution, for now I will continue to dig.

Slick

stingrey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by stingrey » Sun May 21, 2006 12:39 pm

This issue should not be resolved in 1.0.9 Beta 2:
http://dev.joomla.org/content/blogcategory/21/86/
Rey Gigataras
http://www.wizmediateam.com <-- great team of talented Web Designers and Programmers!
http://about.me/reygigataras <-- About Me :)
Partner, Business Development & Project Manager, Event Manager, Sports Coach :D

pergolesi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pergolesi » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:11 pm

I'm sorry I haven't contributed this issue before, but I found the solution to my problems, and I believe it will for somebody else too. It was actualøly the time configuration that caused the logout, mainly on IE. Make sure that your offset is set right. Check with your server settings. The server is not always were you think it is, and therefore it could be that the time is hours ahead or before your time settings. Hope this explains the issue. By the way, the offset setting has to be changed in the config.php file.

chinarut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chinarut » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:46 pm

klockej wrote: it loops back to the main page and acts like no one ever logged in. I can get into the administraition peice
I'm using a patched 1.0.8 to 1.0.10 release of Joomla! and have this flaky, unpredictable behaviour with the login too.

The first time I try to log in, I will either:

(1) get behaviour similar to klocke.  my workaround has been to click around on a few main menu links and after awhile it will just show up in a logged in state.

or

(2)  I will get a "You are not authorized to view this resource"    The workaround is to ignore this and try to login in again.

It would be nice to know what's going on.  I'm using Joomla! 1.0.10 on Firefox 1.5.0.4 on Mac OS X 10.3.9.

I seldom get any "sticky login" issues on the Administration backend.

Chinarut

jlawrence70
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jlawrence70 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:10 pm

chinarut wrote:
klockej wrote: it loops back to the main page and acts like no one ever logged in. I can get into the administraition peice
I'm using a patched 1.0.8 to 1.0.10 release of Joomla! and have this flaky, unpredictable behaviour with the login too.

The first time I try to log in, I will either:

(1) get behaviour similar to klocke.   my workaround has been to click around on a few main menu links and after awhile it will just show up in a logged in state.

or

(2)  I will get a "You are not authorized to view this resource"    The workaround is to ignore this and try to login in again.

It would be nice to know what's going on.   I'm using Joomla! 1.0.10 on Firefox 1.5.0.4 on Mac OS X 10.3.9.

I seldom get any "sticky login" issues on the Administration backend.

Chinarut

I'm having the same problem too after an upgrade to 1.0.10.  I currently use CB 1.0 Stable, and am using the cb_login login module to take advantage of an alternate login workflow.
Never underestimate the destructive power of small minds in large numbers.

jlawrence70
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jlawrence70 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:53 pm

Ok, I think I have a workaround for this.  The problem is how Joomla is handling (or not handling, rather) alternate site names.  For instance, if you put http://www.yoursite.com into your browser, but the Live Site name in (backend) Global Configuration->Server is listed as http://yoursite.com, Joomla craps itself.  The workaround is to simply set a redirect to http://yoursite.com.&nbsp; The following should work for Apache:

Add the following to your .htaccess file:

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.yoursite.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://yoursite.com/$1 [L,R=301]
Last edited by jlawrence70 on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never underestimate the destructive power of small minds in large numbers.

chinarut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chinarut » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:12 am

jlawrence70 wrote: The problem is how Joomla is handling (or not handling, rather) alternate site names.
hoorah!  I just tried Safari, Firefox, Flock, and Camino on Mac OS X 10.3.9 and if I stick to the URL that is in my configuration.php - I encountered no issues logging in.

I haven't tried the .htaccess workaround yet so if anyone else does, please do let us know how it goes - I've never fiddled around with this file like this myself.
Last edited by chinarut on Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

chinarut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chinarut » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:37 pm

ok - accessing my site via the real live site name worked really well for about 4 weeks and I'm now having the same issue again :(

I have the identical site side by side hosted from the same server and logging in works fine on one instance and get the faulty "refresh login" behaviour on the other site all the sudden.

I'm really at a loss as to what's going on and how to troubleshoot it - any ideas?  ???

UPDATE: if I click on "remember me" it logs in.  I log out and I can log in again (first try).  It doesn't take long before I have to recheck "remember me" for it to work again.  What can I do to make the login behaviour predictable?
Last edited by chinarut on Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chinarut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chinarut » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:59 pm

ok - I gotta suck this one up to user error.  I found a few options in my configuration.php that referred back to the old site - doh!  :-[

everything seems ok and I can verify once again that using the real live site name is the solution to what seems to be a common issue out there.

tvining
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tvining » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:39 am

Okay, i've edited config.php and STILL have this damn issue where 75% of my users say they get logged off after 1-2 clicks on my pages after loggin in.

TIger

Return to “Superseded Issues - Archive”