Joomla integrated with Ejabberd(jabber) and Meebo

marconisim
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla integrated with Ejabberd(jabber) and Meebo

Post by marconisim » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:14 am

Hi all,

I been seeking for a way where i can allow my online user to be able to chat using their own public meebo or internal jabber profile to chat with the people where they need to chat with. So far this is what i been discovered

1) Meebo
- Only meebo widget is avaiable
*Again, i wish i could just get my personnal meebo login within my page so that i could discussion some of information in my web rather than tabbing to other page. I did try to wrap and i only can wrap as an menu items.

2) Ejabberd
- I been looking for some solution like JWchat(http://www.jwchat.org/) or similar stuff in order to configure into my joomla page but i still without any much success at the moment.

I would really REALLY appreciate if anyone who read this and have success of doing what i can't at the monent to share your experinces with me on this.

I guess the wish list is to see how can joomla integrate with these two entity better. Like create an module for these two or something. I am sure it will come with a lot technical issue and stuff. At least for me,  I think it will be something really nice to have!

Appreciate any input here.

thanks

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Joomla integrated with Ejabberd(jabber) and Meebo

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:50 pm

marconisim -

We will try to add a task for our Joomla! GHOP Contest to see if one of the students might be interested in creating one of those for Joomla! v 1.5. If we get an entry, I will let you know. If you could help provide feedback, encouragement and testing, it would be appreciated.

When/if I hear more, I'll remember to update you.

Thanks for the great idea,
Amy :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:00 am

We have a contestant who has developed a MeeboMe extension. I would very much appreciate it if you gave it a try and provided feedback.

Thanks!
Amy :)

marconisim
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by marconisim » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:02 am

Hi Amy,

First of all, thanks for feeding the update and guess that is how we keep joomla development going. I am not sure whether I miss anything of the thread you gave me above but i guess if you notice my question in this topic is mainly trying to login like normal meebo but not a widget based. That means you can type in your username and password from meebo or jabber based(like jwchat) under joomla environment.

If you are not aware about difference between widget and normal meebo then that is easy. Example is that users who enter this site only get to talk to the same person that setup the widget. I would like to see that if joomla can bring up meebo login within the site and start talking to the their friends. Like I mentioned before, maybe it is not possible but it would be nice if people could just using their existing user/friend list to chat in the same page.

Throwing you a scenario is that maybe a company have a large users who is using their local chat server(jabber for etc) and now the company is trying to do everything in the web(file share, database query) and also chat, but however due to company policy maybe not all of them are allow to install chat client software in their machine. So, if, (like I say, is a wish/dream list) joomla can bring that up then it would be nice..

I know there are some joomla database chat software available but i am trying to build another chat program if integration the existing(meebo or jabber->these two are the popular one i guess) chat server can be done then it would be rather excellent and surely i think would bring joomla to the next level.

Basically for now what need to be done perhaps is some guru could produce a module that connect to jabber server (some kind of http-polling). It would be really a great news for me and pretty sure benefits to some of the people in this community.Maybe Meebo is hard to do that because it needs to do pop out to every new message and stuff but i how about jwchat with jabber?

Sorry for writting too long and perhaps some point jumping around too..!

regards,
Marc

Return to “Wishlists and Feature Requests - Archive”