Joomla Windows 8 App

chris185
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla Windows 8 App

Post by chris185 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:10 pm

Hello,

I have an question to OSM regarding Windows 8 Apps. I have developed an Windows 8 Modern UI App Tool for Joomla and want to sell it now for a small fee in the Windows App Store. For WIN8 Apps there is the MS App Developer Agreement https://appdev.microsoft.com/StorePorta ... rAgreement
As MS does not allow GPL or any other Copyleft license for Win8 apps i want to ask OSM, what are the requirements that i can publish my App to the Windows Store ?
I have read your terms of use for commercial apps which are not licensed under GPL, therefore i didn't use the term of Joomla or abbreviations in my Application name or used any of the Joomla logos. I used it only in the App where it is required, like "Open Joomla Site" buttons, or "Manage Joomla Sites". There are already Joomla Apps in the store, but these are only E-Books, no Joomla-Tools or Applications.
Can you please make there an clear statement, so that i don't violate your license or trademark ? Thanks!

Regards
Christohp Weller

JacquesR
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Joomla Windows 8 App

Post by JacquesR » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:31 am

hi

Does your app contain any GPL code? (code from the Joomla! CMS)

regards,

Jacques Rentzke
Trademark Team
Open Source Matters

chris185
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chris185 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:53 am

JacquesR wrote:hi

Does your app contain any GPL code? (code from the Joomla! CMS)

regards,

Jacques Rentzke
Trademark Team
Open Source Matters
Hi,

No, the App is an native Windows 8 Modern UI App and does not contain GPL code from Joomla, nor PHP code at all. The App also does not depend on Joomla extensions, it communicates with Joomla-Sites only via FTP.

Regards
Christoph

Duke3D
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Duke3D » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:18 pm

Hello Christoph -

Thank you for asking in advance. It makes it so much easier.

As I understand it, you are creating an app that:
- doesn't use any Joomla! or GPL code
- doesn't use the Joomla name in the name of the App
- doesn't use the Joomla logo
- Uses the Joomla name simply to functionally label what the buttons in the app will do, as in open a Joomla site.
- Does not create the impression that the app is owned by, created by, or endorsed by The Joomla! Project.

With that understanding, this is fair use of the Joomla! name in a descriptive manner and there is nothing more we need to do. No license needed.

Eventually you will want to promote this app with a web page or brochure. Just be aware that the same principles will apply and that you will need to use the following disclaimer language on any promotional pages. That language is:
This product [you may substitute your product name] is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Joomla! Project. It is not supported or warranted by the Joomla Project or Open Source Matters. The Joomla! logo is used under a limited license granted by Open Source Matters the trademark holder in the United States and other countries.
Further details are at http://opensourcematters.org/conditiona ... olicy.html

Good luck with your project.

Duke Speer
for the
Joomla! Trademark Team

chris185
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chris185 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:36 am

Hello Duke,

Thanks for this positive answer! My app is now released in the Window App Store. You can find it here :
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/de-de ... 5299154de5

The app is for managing Joomla translation files. I think a nice tool for those operating multilanguage websites.

I have inserted your quoted copyright text ,but actually it is not updated in the Store. I will solve this asap with MS. If you see anything other problems with the App, let me know so that i can change it.

Regards
Christoph Weller

Return to “OpenSourceMatters.org”