mini-Tutorial for LeBlanc's Podcast Suite v1.1

Discuss the development and implementation of Joomla! components here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
moseleysc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: mini-Tutorial for LeBlanc's Podcast Suite v1.1

Post by moseleysc » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:32 pm

Webman911,

Sorry this is a separate issue from Susanne's....I couldn't find anything about it in this or anyother thread, but when I load in the mambot with the Dewplayer in it, Dewplayer sits infront of my suckerfish menu.  At first I thought it was just a z-index issue in IE6 (was testing it at the time) but it also does it in Firefox.

The original flash player sits below the suckerfish menu.  I have the original flash player in there right now, but I like the look of the dewplayer.....

Here is the site:
http://demo.yourefresh.com/podcasts.html

Thanks for the help and for the mambot....

Steve
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

Susanne
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Susanne » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:22 pm

Webman911: with some help I learned that the problem is caused by my host. This company blocks querystrings with requests for "=http://" for security reasons. In the code there's a request: http://www.astraalteria.nl/testsite/mam ... dcast2.mp3

If you click on this link you'll see a "Request was blocked (not allowed)." site.

Any ideas about a workaround?

Susanne
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Susanne » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:10 pm

Well, my problem is solved. My host put my domain on a trusted list. The redirects on my domein aren't blocked anymore. So, the dewplayer works like a charm. Thanks for the help.  ;D

moseleysc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by moseleysc » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:22 pm

Webman

Still haveing the issue with Dewplayer sitting above my suckerfish menu... any ideas?

At first I thought it was just a z-index issue in IE6 (was testing it at the time) but it also does it in Firefox.

The original flash player sits below the suckerfish menu.  I have the original flash player in there right now, but I like the look of the dewplayer.....

Here is the site:
http://demo.yourefresh.com/podcasts.html
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

jamieross
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jamieross » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:47 am

Hey

I have had no problems wid your podcast suite until now I have about 15 issues posted and now just recently its giving me a file size to large error so iv had to un publish about 12 issues just so the last 4 can still be visible. plus the descripition on 1 of the issues is missing 4 5ths of it can any 1 help ????

http://www.jamieross.co.uk/index2.php?o ... &no_html=1

I can re publish the issues again to show what exactly the errors are if it helps

Regards Jamie
And finally...............for those of you that just gotta have house music

Susanne
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Susanne » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:58 pm

The podcast suite is working like a charm. We are recording and we'll launch the podcast channel on our website in a couple of days. ;D

But, I have a request for the developer(s). :-[ I know .mov already works, but I have a video podcast (vodcast) on my website. It is a .wmv. Could the mambot be altered in a way that it plays .wmv in a Win Media player, besides the mp3 in the dewplayer and mov in quicktime? You'd really make me happy.

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jlleblanc » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:23 am

Susanne wrote: The podcast suite is working like a charm. We are recording and we'll launch the podcast channel on our website in a couple of days. ;D

But, I have a request for the developer(s). :-[ I know .mov already works, but I have a video podcast (vodcast) on my website. It is a .wmv. Could the mambot be altered in a way that it plays .wmv in a Win Media player, besides the mp3 in the dewplayer and mov in quicktime? You'd really make me happy.
You can use the Custom HTML option to generate the HTML for any player you want. Just remember to use {filename} wherever you need the relative path for the file to appear.
Joseph L. LeBlanc: http://www.jlleblanc.com
Frontend components start here: /components/com_[name]/[name].php
Backend components start here: /administrator/components/com_[name]/admin.[name].php

Susanne
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Susanne » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:20 pm

Thanks for you reply Joseph. I'm not sure how to use the HTML to generate the players I want. For instance, which code do I need for the dewplayer of webman911? Which for the windows media player?

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jlleblanc » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:30 pm

Susanne wrote: Thanks for you reply Joseph. I'm not sure how to use the HTML to generate the players I want. For instance, which code do I need for the dewplayer of webman911? Which for the windows media player?
I don't have any snippets on hand, but you should be able to find them around the web.
Backend components start here: /administrator/components/com_[name]/admin.[name].php

ordep zerep
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ordep zerep » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:28 am

Hello folks, first of all, thank you for this great tutorial and consecutive updates from developer!

I finally have the component working after a few tests. However, I have an issue that is worrying me a lot. I'll explain it to see if you can tell me what's going on with it.

I've set a folder on the root of my server for my podcasts, in the mean time I have them in a different folder. So I start transferring file by file to my podcast folder, one at a time, after each one I edit it in the "Manage clips tab" then I'd do the whole thing in the category item that was created automatically. Everything fine till this point, but after 2 o 3 files imported into my main podcast folders, the previewing of the files on "Manage clips" doesn't follow the order in which it was imported, even though the creation dates follow a progressive order.

This happens to be messing with the order of items in the front end of my podcast section, and it also also happens in the feed page. I have no idea of which criteria is being used for file ordering in this component. It doesn't happen with all files, but most of them are not placed in the same order that I imported them.

I'm trying to have all of my podcasts organized in its category ordered by date added. The most resent at the top, the first one at the bottom of the page, but it's not happening. I tried modifying the parameters of the menu item that points to the category were I have my podcasts published, but even doing so, nothing changes that much.

Is somebody else having this issue? Have you solved it?

I must note that I'm not sure if it's working for me on Itunes at the moment. I submitted it a while ago, but I had some issues with xml validation, now I think I fixed it following this post, because I validated the xml file with a popper tool and it seems to be fine. Moreover, I think Itunes hasn't updated the feed yet band that's why I only see 1 out of 24 episodes of my podcast on Itunes. But still not sure, is there a way of knowing this?

my podcast url: http://www.kremadelik.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=48

my feed url
http://www.kremadelik.com/index2.php?op ... &no_html=1

Your thoughts and words on this will be highly appreciated!

Thank you

pd. while working with the Podcast component, I started to have problems with the weblinks component (link's doesn't display on front end)

the only weird thing I've done early this week was to delete all tables of weblinks component in php myadmin, and them imported a previous export from another Joomla 1.011 site. It worked out fine, but it messed the links categories. I reset them manually and it was fine then, only for about 4 days until date. BTW, I'm using Joomla 1.013

Could this have something to be with the main issue exposed above?
Last edited by ordep zerep on Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ordep zerep
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ordep zerep » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:22 am

:) :) :) now I know it's working fine on Itunes, but I still have the audio files ordering schema dilemma.

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jlleblanc » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:47 pm

ordep zerep wrote: Hello folks, first of all, thank you for this great tutorial and consecutive updates from developer!

I finally have the component working after a few tests. However, I have an issue that is worrying me a lot. I'll explain it to see if you can tell me what's going on with it.

I've set a folder on the root of my server for my podcasts, in the mean time I have them in a different folder. So I start transferring file by file to my podcast folder, one at a time, after each one I edit it in the "Manage clips tab" then I'd do the whole thing in the category item that was created automatically. Everything fine till this point, but after 2 o 3 files imported into my main podcast folders, the previewing of the files on "Manage clips" doesn't follow the order in which it was imported, even though the creation dates follow a progressive order.

This happens to be messing with the order of items in the front end of my podcast section, and it also also happens in the feed page. I have no idea of which criteria is being used for file ordering in this component. It doesn't happen with all files, but most of them are not placed in the same order that I imported them.

I'm trying to have all of my podcasts organized in its category ordered by date added. The most resent at the top, the first one at the bottom of the page, but it's not happening. I tried modifying the parameters of the menu item that points to the category were I have my podcasts published, but even doing so, nothing changes that much.

Is somebody else having this issue? Have you solved it?

I must note that I'm not sure if it's working for me on Itunes at the moment. I submitted it a while ago, but I had some issues with xml validation, now I think I fixed it following this post, because I validated the xml file with a popper tool and it seems to be fine. Moreover, I think Itunes hasn't updated the feed yet band that's why I only see 1 out of 24 episodes of my podcast on Itunes. But still not sure, is there a way of knowing this?

my podcast url: http://www.kremadelik.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=48

my feed url
http://www.kremadelik.com/index2.php?op ... &no_html=1

Your thoughts and words on this will be highly appreciated!

Thank you

pd. while working with the Podcast component, I started to have problems with the weblinks component (link's doesn't display on front end)

the only weird thing I've done early this week was to delete all tables of weblinks component in php myadmin, and them imported a previous export from another Joomla 1.011 site. It worked out fine, but it messed the links categories. I reset them manually and it was fine then, only for about 4 days until date. BTW, I'm using Joomla 1.013

Could this have something to be with the main issue exposed above?
Hi there,

From what I can see, your feed has the items in reverse-chronological order by the article's published date. You can change the ordering of the feed items by changing the published date for the articles where they appear.

ordep zerep
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ordep zerep » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:33 pm

In fact, that was it for the front end of the site :-[ I had the "Most recent first" option selected, instead of "ordering", even though I followed a chronological order when publishing items. Now it works just as it should  :) However, I'm still facing the problem on the RSS feed, the order of items hasn't changed at all. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for such a wonderful suite, it certainly makes podcasting a really easy thing, and specially, it's quite swift to podcast once everything is well configured.

Keep up the good work!
Last edited by ordep zerep on Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jlleblanc » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:56 pm

ordep zerep wrote: In fact, that was it for the front end of the site :-[ I had the "Most recent first" option selected, instead of "ordering", even though I followed a chronological order when publishing items. Now it works just as it should  :) However, I'm still facing the problem on the RSS feed, the order of items hasn't changed at all. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for such a wonderful suite, it certainly makes podcasting a really easy thing, and specially, it's quite swift to podcast once everything is well configured.

Keep up the good work!
Glad to hear you're getting good use out of it! Is the RSS feed still cached? It may not reflect your recent changes. Check the /cache directory and clean it out if necessary.

jamieross
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jamieross » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi all just ran my feed through feed validator and i get these small errors:

#

line 94, column 8: item should contain a guid element (17 occurrences) [help]

^

#

line 969, column 4: Missing atom:link with rel="self" [help]

^

#

line 969, column 4: Missing recommended iTunes channel element: language [help]

^

#

line 969, column 4: Missing recommended iTunes channel element: itunes:explicit [help]

Anything i can do to get these fixed???? Great component btw ;)

http://www.jamieross.co.uk/index2.php?o ... &no_html=1

Regards Jamie

ordep zerep
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ordep zerep » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:53 pm

jlleblanc wrote:
ordep zerep wrote: In fact, that was it for the front end of the site :-[ I had the "Most recent first" option selected, instead of "ordering", even though I followed a chronological order when publishing items. Now it works just as it should  :) However, I'm still facing the problem on the RSS feed, the order of items hasn't changed at all. What am I doing wrong?

Keep up the good work!
Glad to hear you're getting good use out of it! Is the RSS feed still cached? It may not reflect your recent changes. Check the /cache directory and clean it out if necessary.
I have deleted serveral times the file podrss20.xml and nothing changes in the file ordering of the rss. Plus I created a dummy mp3 file in my podcast directory in order to create an external link for an audio file, and it worked out fine, I even created keywords and description for that file, but it keeps appearing as the first item in the rss feed, even though I changed the published date so it would liok as published on December.

I thought that changing the order of items in podrss20.xml will do, but since it is automatically generated, it didn't work out. I'm not quite sure how is generated podrss20.xml, and I cannot find any other xml file containing the podcast data. So in short, I'm totally clueless in how to do it.

this is my feed http://www.kremadelik.com/index2.php?op ... &no_html=1

The first item is the one that i created with the dummy mp3 file, then I changed it to the real file location, but how can I make it to be in the right order, below podcast 23, and above 22?

I suppose that when creating podcasts from scratch, this problem won't happen, but in my case, I already had several files ready for submission to Itunes in my podcast folder. I asume that in this way there won't be ordering problems, but this is not my case. I not sure what to do to solve it  ???

jamieross
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jamieross » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:48 pm

im no expert m8 but the suite takes the date from the publishing bit when you create a new content item so all you have to do is login in back end go to the content item you wanna change and set the correct date for when it was really published. also check your content layout is it defaulted as publish new or by some other kind of ordering.

See if you look at mine here http://www.jamieross.co.uk/content/blogcategory/18/68/

And then the feed http://www.jamieross.co.uk/index2.php?o ... &no_html=1

They all match because they have the appropriate publishing date relevant to the item and in my content items manager they all line up accordingly

I hope you can understand this im pish at explaining things lol

JR

ordep zerep
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ordep zerep » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:18 am

yes, that was it... thank you for your explanation, I was changing Start Publishing date, but was missing  Override Created Date. thast's the key!

by far this is an excellent component for podcasting. it fulfills all my expectations.

jamieross
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jamieross » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:27 pm

Cool dood glad i could help now if only sum1 could help me with my queries ??

JR

ordep zerep
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ordep zerep » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:22 pm

I'm getting the same errors in feed validation, however, it works fine, the feed gets validated, I suppose those errors are related to some new fields created by Itunes. Joseph should have this in mind for future releases of the suite.

I'm not a hand coder myself, but it shouldn't be that hard to add those fields to the original suite. Anyway, I'm not sure about what are those Itunes tags for.

I-MAG
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by I-MAG » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:20 pm

Hi,

Such a wonderful component. :)

I would love to have the swf player look like this:
http://www.savingcivilization.org/renew ... tions.html

How do I do so? Can anyone provide me with the files.

Thanks a lot.

ordep zerep
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ordep zerep » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:27 am

that's the  DewPlayer, there has been some post about it, look for it on the extensions area, otherwise, follow the post since the beginning of it, it's worth it in the case you are just getting into this suite.

jamieross
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jamieross » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:02 am

yeah my feed works fine its just itunes has stopped updating and iv tried everything so i can only imagine that its those errors that are causing it to not update :(

J

ordep zerep
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ordep zerep » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:03 pm

I'm not sure how often (i guess at least once a day) does Itunes checks rss feeds, does somebody know this one?

I-MAG
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by I-MAG » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:05 pm

ordep zerep wrote: that's the  DewPlayer, there has been some post about it, look for it on the extensions area, otherwise, follow the post since the beginning of it, it's worth it in the case you are just getting into this suite.
Thanks a lot, I've found it in the extension section at:
http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

But there is no way that the user know what are the articles that have audio files because there is no podcast support. :(

Is there a way to have the best of the two extensions? :)

If it were possible to assign muliple categories for articles, things would have been easier.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

ordep zerep
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ordep zerep » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:40 am

I´m actually using both applications with quite a good result. In one hand I'm using the podcast suit, so I create audio contents in which ever section and category I decide, and on the other hand, I'm using the dewplayer in the main content area of my blog categories.

In this way, users can listen right away with dewplayer, plus they can directly download from the html link provided by the podcast suite, plus syndication.

From my point of view, this is positive for usability, and you get to use both things. There are more possible configurations, but till date, I feel confy with this one.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

I-MAG
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by I-MAG » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:29 am

ordep zerep wrote: I´m actually using both applications with quite a good result. In one hand I'm using the podcast suit, so I create audio contents in which ever section and category I decide, and on the other hand, I'm using the dewplayer in the main content area of my blog categories.

In this way, users can listen right away with dewplayer, plus they can directly download from the html link provided by the podcast suite, plus syndication.

From my point of view, this is positive for usability, and you get to use both things. There are more possible configurations, but till date, I feel confy with this one.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Sounds great, How did you manage to do that?
The audio files that I add using dewplayer never appear in the podcast link of LeBlanc's Podcast Suite.

ordep zerep
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ordep zerep » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:27 pm

that's because I installed the dewplayer bot, and in some way, I'm not integrating in into the podcast suit itself.

so, whenever I have audio content items, I use the podcast suite for downloading and rss, and dewplayer in the main content area as a separate aplication. I just use the tag {audio}yoururl.mp3{/audio} and that's it.

it takes less than 5 minutes to have it done!

you could also use some graphic design and css to make main content look better, but that's a totally different history.

I-MAG
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by I-MAG » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:33 pm

ordep zerep wrote: that's because I installed the dewplayer bot, and in some way, I'm not integrating in into the podcast suit itself.

so, whenever I have audio content items, I use the podcast suite for downloading and rss, and dewplayer in the main content area as a separate aplication. I just use the tag {audio}yoururl.mp3{/audio} and that's it.

it takes less than 5 minutes to have it done!

you could also use some graphic design and css to make main content look better, but that's a totally different history.

I got your point. I'll try it.

pinkpomelo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pinkpomelo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:15 am

Hi,

I would appreciate much help from anyone...

I installed the podcast suite and got the dewplayer working, but there's a little "extra" dewplayer sitting right at the top of my page.

See here : http://www.hope107.com/joomla0801/ (on firefox its on the top left. on IE its on the top right)

how do i remove that dewplayer? and just keep the dewplayers visible in the podcast pages?

-f
Last edited by pinkpomelo on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Components”