mini-Tutorial for LeBlanc's Podcast Suite v1.1

Discuss the development and implementation of Joomla! components here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
KreelanWarrior
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: mini-Tutorial for LeBlanc's Podcast Suite v1.1

Post by KreelanWarrior » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:40 pm

torres86 -

okay, you're beyond my skills now! :'( i do a little bit of code hacking here and there, but i've never encountered those errors - i think joseph leblanc needs to weigh in on this one if he's out there...?

cheers,
mike
Author of In Her Name, a new Sci-Fi/Fantasy novel. Check out the first four complete chapters free in PDF format!

KreelanWarrior
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KreelanWarrior » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:47 pm

JBM wrote:Mike, thank you so much for your reply. I do not have any custom code in Settings>Enclosure Code, as a matter of fact, the Enclosure Code is empty.

I corrected the mistake and now as you can see the file is correct but it's still not playing...what am I doing wrong?

JBM
JBM -

hmm. how did you correct that? also, just to double check a thing or two:

- are you using the ORIGINAL mambot included with the podcast suite? (the hack that i posted works differently)
- did you double check the path for your uploaded media in your settings?
- just as a check, i would try to use an MP3 file rather than a WAV file; the default setting specifies a mime type of audio/mpeg (i don't know how much that matters, but just for grins)
- in the admin menu Podcast->Manage Clips, are there green checks under the two columns "found in article" and "article published"

so, take a look at those things and we'll go from there! 8)
mike
Author of In Her Name, a new Sci-Fi/Fantasy novel. Check out the first four complete chapters free in PDF format!

torres86
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by torres86 » Thu May 01, 2008 4:21 am

XML Parsing Error: junk after document element
Location: http://localhost/joomla/index2.php?opti ... &no_html=1
Line Number 2, Column 1:<b>Notice</b>: Undefined offset: 1 in <b>/Applications/MAMP/htdocs/joomla/components/com_podcast/podcast.php</b> on line <b>335</b><br />
^
Appears on: http://localhost/joomla/index2.php?opti ... &no_html=1

Why do I keep getting this error on my RSS feed after I set up? I've checked everything, I've done clean installs on local test server on live servers on everything. I do not understand. Any help please! I really like this Podcast Suite v1.1 but I want integration with iTunes with the dynamic RSS feed.

I am running Joomla! 1.0.15 with Podcast Suite v1.1

Why doesn't this thing like line 335 on /components/com_podcast/podcast.php ?

John - [email protected]

spinfx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by spinfx » Mon May 12, 2008 3:35 am

Hi "webman911"

Thanks for the excellent tutorial - I now know how to load all the podcasts so they appear in an RSS feed - I was scrating my head for hours until I came across your post.

One question please:
I like to use the very neat "One Pixel Out" flash player on my site.
How would I go about substituting this in Podcast Suite as the default Flash player?

Would appreciate any hints or tips.

Thanks again
David :)

KreelanWarrior
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KreelanWarrior » Mon May 12, 2008 8:22 pm

david -

okay, if you want to use a different player, you need to do two things:

1) make sure that you are NOT using the modified mambot that i posted in here, as that one is hard-coded to use the dewplayer (and quicktime for .mov files).

2) using leblanc's original mambot, you'll need to select the code option and enter the appropriate information in the code box in the settings page for the suite. i think there were also instructions posted by others in this thread on how to do that. :-)

cheers,
mike

(i'm actually webman911, but my original account was hosed so now i have a different one - d'oh!)

gsbe
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by gsbe » Wed May 14, 2008 5:25 am

spinfx wrote:Hi "webman911"
I like to use the very neat "One Pixel Out" flash player on my site.
How would I go about substituting this in Podcast Suite as the default Flash player?
David-
Check the Joomla Extensions Directory where the entry for the Podcast Suite has instructions for this in the reviews section by user PaganRadio. I had this working in no time!

spinfx52
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by spinfx52 » Sat May 24, 2008 5:57 am

Hi All

Hope someone can help me.
I have set up the PodCast Suite on our site http://www.perthbluesclub.com and I get a feed link as shown in the tutorial.

If I manually add the URL to my iTunes podcast subscriptions I have no problem with iTunes finding and downloading the podcasts. However, if I try to submit the URL through the iTunes "Submit a Podcast" I get an error saying it either timed out or there was an HTML 403 error.

As stated in the tutorial, I made sure that podrss20.xml was present in the cache and that it was readable - I set it to 775 as there was no indication what the permissions should be.

I tried and tried to get it to submit and even ran it through http://www.feedvalidator.org - which threw up some errors in the way the xml file was being created by podcast suite for iTunes.

In the end, I tried some lateral thinking and pointed iTunes directly to http://www.domain_name/cache/podrss20.xml and it worked a treat.

Can you please tell me if I was doing something wrong with podcast suite or if I was simply missing something blindingly obvious? The thing is I see lots of comments from people saying it worked fine, straight out of the box, but for some reason it didn't for me.

Thanks for a simple way of creating the xml file - I just hope that iTunes will be able to find it every time.

Looking forward to hearing from someone.

Cheers. David

JBM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JBM » Sat May 24, 2008 9:33 am

I finally got the podcasts to work. I added the iTunes part but now I cannot locate them in the iTunes directory. Since I am probably the only human alive that does not use iTunes, can anyone tell me how to search for my podcasts? Do I use the title? the description? the author? the category? other?

The categories are:
Business
Business > Management & Marketing
Business > Shopping

Thanks

KreelanWarrior
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KreelanWarrior » Sat May 24, 2008 11:03 am

JBM -

i think normally you just use the title of your podcast, or even try your web site (like my podcast is at "savingcivilization.org")... :)

JBM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JBM » Sat May 24, 2008 12:30 pm

Yes, they are located in my website but I want to find them in iTunes. I checked the iTunes podcast store by Category, Author, Title, Description and my podcasts are not showing.

What I am not sure I understand correctly regarding the iTunes settings is if they automatically load up into iTunes or if I have to physically upload them myself via the iTunes store?

Can you shed some light on how this works?

Thanks

KreelanWarrior
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KreelanWarrior » Sat May 24, 2008 1:06 pm

ah! yes, you have to go to the itunes store, in the podcast section, and add your podcast - the information that you enter into the podcast component for itunes is basically metadata that itunes pulls *after* you tell itunes that it's there (and where to find it, so to speak). :-)

cheers,
mike

JBM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JBM » Sat May 24, 2008 1:19 pm

Duh!... thank you so much

jhkc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jhkc » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:22 pm

I am new to Joomla and podcasting. Can LeBanc's Podcast Suite v.1.1 work in Joomla 1.5? If not, are there anyway to do podcasting in Joomla 1.5?

CueBurn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CueBurn » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:44 pm

A big thank you to LeBlanc and Webman911 both for the podcast plugin and installation guide ;)

Everything was going so well from an installation point of view but got stuck when no matter what I did, I couldn't get the "podrss20.xml" to appear / update. After 6 or so hours of trying and now having spoken to my hosting provider I think I've found out why...

Because of a security risk they won't let the program edit or create anything in the public_html/cache directory... Their only solution to this is to get the code to point somewhere else where I can alter the permissions without the server blocking my attempts.

Would anyone be so kind as to help me out with this before I pull all my hair out?! I'm pretty new to coding but have a little common sense so if you could point me in the right direction it'd be a big help and I'll do my best.

Cheers!

JBM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JBM » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:40 pm

You should consider changing hosting providers. I use Siteground and have no problems.

KreelanWarrior
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KreelanWarrior » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:47 pm

CueBurn -

i would agree with JBM: that sounds like an unreasonably restrictive security scheme, and it's not like there aren't tons of other hosting providers out there!

cheers,
mike

KreelanWarrior
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KreelanWarrior » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:50 pm

jhkc wrote:I am new to Joomla and podcasting. Can LeBanc's Podcast Suite v.1.1 work in Joomla 1.5? If not, are there anyway to do podcasting in Joomla 1.5?
jhkc -

i believe that leblanc was working on a 1.5-compatible version of the suite, but am not sure. i'm still running all my sites under 1.0.X, so i can't tell you if it'll work or not in compatibility mode (seems to me that i tried it on a test site and it wouldn't work, but my experience there is hardly conclusive).

cheers,
mike

CueBurn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CueBurn » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:53 am

I think I'm stuck with them for the time being! We're at a pretty critical point with the website at the moment so the last thing I'd want to do is jump ship just yet... TBH, apart from this Host Gator has been really good... It's just a right pain I've wasted so much time faffing about when it wasn't my fault at all. Learnt the same lesson with caching last night though so I guess it's a weekend of lessons learnt :D

Is it a pain to change where the program looks for the "podrss20.xml" file or just a matter of changing where the code points to? I've found another Podcast program I could use but it doesn't integrate as nicely as Podcast Suite! + if it's not too much of a pain I'd rather feel like I haven't entirely wasted 6-hours ;)

Thanks!

codywmartin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by codywmartin » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:23 pm

Help my podcast won't open...Everything else works..but the podcast icon returns a not found page. Codywmartin.com...Thanks a bunch.

justinblack
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by justinblack » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:46 am

Hi Everyone

I have been using the excellent Podcast Suite v1.1 component for over a year now and it really is excellent.
I manage our church website and we podcast our weekly sermons.

The native feed url that the podcast suite produces is:
http://bethanybaptist.co.uk/index2.php? ... &no_html=1

I need to find some way to automatically re-direct this feed to:
http://feeds.bethanybaptist.co.uk/betha ... angoraudio
This feed is burnt through feedburner and allows me to monitor feed stats in detail

I have 2 possibilities in my mind of how to do this but unfortunatley i dont know how to do either of them:
1) setup a 301 permanent re-direct to point one address to the other - before anyone replies to this, re-directing dynamic urls seems to be a completely different kettle of fish than a normal htaccess url re-write.
2) insert an iTunes redirect or new feed url address into the existing podcast suite feed which will tell iTunes to look to the new feed url - has anyone done this before? I think i would need to modify the podcast.php file but not sure what code to use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Justin

CueBurn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CueBurn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:53 pm

CueBurn wrote:Is it a pain to change where the program looks for the "podrss20.xml" file or just a matter of changing where the code points to?
Can anyone help with this please? I've tried looking through the obvious .php files but can't find any reference to the file? Is it possible to put "podrss20.xml" in another dir and direct the component there instead of the cache?

I'd be much obliged if there's someone out there who can help... This program really is perfect for what I what to do - I just need to sort the cache issue! Thanks in advance :pop

CueBurn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CueBurn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:39 pm

Thanks to the person who PM'd me (unfortunately I need five posts before I can reply, lol). The reason I want to do this is because my hosting provider won't let me have sufficent rights to the cache dir (according to them it's a security risk). This means that the "podrss20.xml" isn't created, and even if I put a blank text document in and rename it, it doesn't seem able to edit the file. So in my eyes the only solution seems to be to put the file in a directory when I have sufficient permissions (well apart from changing hosting companies but I'd rather not go down that route)... Thanks :)

justinblack
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by justinblack » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:02 pm

Yes but why do you need to create a podrss20.xml file?

You can view your feed from here:
http://yourdomain.com/index2.php?option ... &no_html=1

I remember when i first started using this component everyone was talking about a podrss20.xml file but you dont actually need it to access your feed?

Not sure if this helps, still unsure why you need to create a podrss20.xml file?

Regards
Justin

CueBurn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CueBurn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:22 pm

Thanks Justin. I'm going to have another go at it tonight but the reason I've been so fixated on the .xml file is because I couldn't get the feed to work... I can get the downloads listing page up nicely, but everytime I click on either the standard feed or itunes one it comes back saying the link can't be found. I put this down to the podrss20.xml file not being there?

jameshar
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jameshar » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:36 pm

Hi. I have followed the mini-guide and also downloaded joomlaXplorer to check my permissions. When the podcast.php file is in its proper folder these 2 errors appear on the website. I removed that file (podcast.php) and try to edit it, but there's nothing contained within it that refers to this. Any ideas?

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of [runtime function name](). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. in C:\Inetpub\FBCLasCruces.joomla\mambots\content\podcast.php on line 24

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of [runtime function name](). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. in C:\Inetpub\FBCLasCruces.joomla\mambots\content\podcast.php on line 26

jameshar
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jameshar » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:36 pm

nevermind, after thoroughly reading the past posts, i found this solve. Thanks!
jlleblanc wrote:Hello,

On those two lines, remove the '&' from before $pParams. It's a bug appearing on some installations that will be removed in the next version.

spinfx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by spinfx » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:29 am

Hi All

URGENT - mp3 files moved due to lack of storage.

I've had some great success with PodCast suite until i exceeded my server allocation.
I have since been given space on another server by a kind sponsor.

The problem is that I can't seem to get PodCast suite to "see" the files on the new remote located server.
I have seen reference to this earlier on the board, but have not seen a clear solution.

"LeBlanc" posted some code that he suggested made the PodCast suite check the external site first and then the regular "images/podcasts/" folder, but it was not clear where this should be added.

Can someone please tell me how I get PodCast suite to recognise and include files on a remote server so it can build the required files for iTunes recognition?

Many thanks, David ;-)
http://www.perthbluesclub.com is our main site and the podcasts will be located at http://www.pbcpodcasts.com/podcasts from now on
Last edited by spinfx on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

spinfx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by spinfx » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:54 am

Me again

Just had a thought . . . . . (dangerous, I know!)

What would be extremely useful would be a modification in the backend that would allow administrators to select (possibly by radio button) either "Local Path to Files" or "Remote Path to Files" and then allow entry of either the relative "local" path or full "remote URL" path to podcast folder.

This would be very useful for people like me who have to store their podcast files on an alternative server.

Trouble is, I don't know enough about coding to make the mods - but this would be a very useful feature.

Anyone able to help?

Cheers David

marret
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Run time function error

Post by marret » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:49 am

Hi

Thank you for the wonderful tutorial.

I have installed it on a Joomla 1.015 installation ( local host under WAMP )

It works but i get some error message at the top of every page which says

"Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of [runtime function name](). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file in E:\wamp\www\GPTest\mambots\content\podcast.php on line 24 "

What could be the problem ?

Thanks
Melissa

smily_123
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by smily_123 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:30 am

Hi, Thak u for your tutorial, but In my site podcastingis working IE only, in mozilla after clicking onthe podcast image that is not connecting with itunes, can u please tell me what is the problem.

I observed some example websites, which u have given (podcasting implemented sites)), in those sites also podcasting is not working, can u please tell me what is the problem.

Return to “Components”