Changing Write Permission on Template

stream_malvern
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Changing Write Permission on Template

Post by stream_malvern » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:25 pm

I'm new to this and I'm not sure if this is even the right section to post this on the forum... I'm working on a clients site that uses Joomla and I was sent a code from a third party to be added to the template of the site so that it will be on every page. I tried to access the template through the Template Manager (site) but the index.php file is marked as Unwritable... I went through the Template HTML Editor Help file and it mentions about temporarily activation the write permissions by "checking the check-box now labelled Override protection while saving" but I do not see that anywhere on the page when I click on the Edit HTML button....

I even tried editing the idex.php file through the given FTP acess... the file seem to be updated when I upload it but it still shows the old code when I go back into joomla which makes me wonder if the file has been updated at all...

I'm honestly not sure what I'm doing wrong but am looking for any suggestions that anyone can give me to resolve this...

Thanks in advance!

Tania

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Changing Write Permission on Template

Post by Tonie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:55 pm

Who is the owner of the file? The permissions would need to be 777 for any other user to access that particular file. I normally don't install my templates, I just copy the template in the template directory through FTP. This means the FTP user is owner of the files and that makes for easy editing.

Return to “Suggestions, Modifications, and Corrections”