sdsalsero
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

online Install Guide references old method of toggling 'global emulation'

Post by sdsalsero » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:05 pm

FYI
The last page of the online Installation guide,
  http://help.joomla.org/content/view/818/132/
tells you to "rename globals.php to globals.php-on and then rename globals.php-off to globals.php."  But these files don't exist (at least not in the current 1.0.12 distro).

Instead, the (official?) "Joomla! 1.0.11 Security Configuration Instructions" post,
  http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... 57019.html
under 'installation message #2', tells you to manually edit the file yourself.
***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****__

Also, the online "Installation" guide has the instructions out of order? 

First, look at the TOC,
  http://help.joomla.org/content/category/15/99/132/
If you try to follow the instructions in-order, the "Browser Installation (easy way)" instructions start with "verify the system requirements previously stated above first!"  But the system requirements aren't mentioned until much later and don't mention the need for an existing MySQL db.  There is, in fact, a page of instructions for this but, again, it is listed after one has already tried to complete the "easy" install method.

The simple solution, I believe, is simply to re-order the pages of the online Install guide, so that System Requirements and then "Configuring MySQL" come before the "Browser Installation (easy way)" page.

P.S. On my first attempt to install Joomla, I assumed that the install script was going to create the db I specified, same as my phpBB install had done.  The difference, I think, was that I had installed phpBB through my hosting provider's cPanel utility, which automates almost everything.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: online Install Guide references old method of toggling 'global emulation'

Post by humvee » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:43 pm

Hello sdalsero,

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback.

The online install guide is now rather dated, and a decision on it being pulled out of circulation or overhaul it needs to be taken.

You are best advised to follow the advice in the FAQ's section of the forum and also try the User Manual 1.0.11 (see my signature)

As for the particular issue you raised: manually edit the file globals.php you will see this line (approx line 24)

Code: Select all

define( 'RG_EMULATION', 1 );
- This is the the on setting.
this needs to be changed to:

define( 'RG_EMULATION', 0 );

***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****

With regard your second well made point - I will try to get it looked at and put it right.

Once again thanks for taking the time and sorry you had these difficulties.

Andy

ps Welcome to Joomla!  ;)

sdsalsero
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sdsalsero » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:13 am

Thanks for not getting defensive!  The online Installation guide seems fine (with that one exception) just mis-ordered.

FYI - The 1.0.11 'printed' guide has the same issue re the MySQL db pre-req.  The section for pre-reqs only lists software version and capabilities -- nowhere does it mention the need to create a blank db before you start the install.

I initially started the install using the printed guide, then stopped because of the Checklist and a handful of PHP settings it flagged. I later retried the install but from a different computer, and so I used the online guide (which looked almost identical).
***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****_

The other issue I'm having is with those PHP settings.  I'm having to individually research them to see which ones are local (in which case I can fix them myself, e.g. EMULATION) vs which ones are global (and require the cooperation of the hosting co.)

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:01 am

Hi,
Thanks for not getting defensive!
If it's wrong - then it's wrong! ;)

I have managed to tweak the order a bit (see what you think) also started to review a bit of the content as had a few spare moments.

The issues over host's settings can be very varied. I don't think it would be possible to cover all the possible scenarios that might arise as to the settings that can or cannot be edited and who by.

I am not too clear on which particular settings you are referring to but you may get somewhere by running an enquiry script on the web root folder that will provide you with instant feedback on all the PHP settings and indeed all the web server configuration. Create a php file in a plain text editor and call it info.php (or similar) enter the following code:

<?php phpinfo();?>
and save it. Now upload this file to your web server root directory. Then type your site URL in your browser with /info.php at the end and a screen of all sorts of data will (should) be displayed. It will hopefully lead you to the answers you need.

Again many of the issues you are finding will have been encountered by others and will be in the Installation forum or FAQ - Installation forum.

hth

Andy

sdsalsero
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sdsalsero » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:41 am

wow, what service!  The re-order TOC looks great.  That new "outdated" warning, however, is probably going to scare-off anyone from using it...

re PHP settings, I was referring to those reviewed by the installation script (and also checked when you login as admin and go into the Site > System Info screen).  On my new install it flagged the RG_EMULATION and magic_quotes settings.

Return to “Archive”