About component stipends - is that possible?

skOre
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

About component stipends - is that possible?

Post by skOre » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Hey Louis Landry/ Wilco Jansen

I'm a student myself and would like to request a google summer of code spot for the Account Expiration Control Component. It would mainly revolve around Joomla 1.5 compatibility and extension of component functionality.

Is this in the scope of your mentoring? Could I apply to the SoC stating you guys as mentors?
Developer of the AEC Membership Management Component: http://valanx.org
Fellow of the Free Software Foundation Europe (and so can you: http://www.fsfe.org !)

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: About component stipends - is that possible?

Post by willebil » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:50 pm

If you want to be part, you can apply to the SOC program later on. If you read the schedule presented in the Mentor guideline post, you will see that official application starts around may.

This year we would really like to see new ideas, in the Mentor guideline you see some topics we were thinking of, but basically we don't want to put any limitations on topics atm, we just want as much as innovation there can be, and of course students to be there. If you want to discuss a proposal, you are almost in the right area, for pre-application discussions we have opened up a sub-group here. Feel free to share and discuss your idea, currently there is no limit on the subjects you can post there.

Something about the selection process I can mention. The (not yet selected) mentor team will take a look at every project that is submitted. Last year we have taken a look at 90 proposals. The projects get ranked, and the top-x (x is not determined yet) will be invited to join SOC. The number of projects we select is basically limited to the amount of mentors we can find, currently we already have around 6 mentors, and i certainly hope we will have some community mentors joining us.

Hope this answers your question a bit, feel free to contact me or just start a discussion...give it try, you would be the first ;-)

Return to “Past Google Summer of Code Editions”