Project ideas

Gardener
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Project ideas

Post by Gardener » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:13 pm

I'm thinking of applying this year but I haven't decided what project to propose yet. Of the ideas given, the 'My Joomla' project seems very interesting, as I would need something similar myself as well and OpenID is a Good Thing. Since I've done a bunch of integration work with Joomla before it would be a good fit as well. But I'm really interested in knowing what other people have in mind for such an extension.

Other than that, I have a few other projects in mind as well, mainly to extend the flexibility of the article system. But that would probably require quite a bit of core code rewriting.
This is silly.

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Project ideas

Post by willebil » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:54 pm

You can submit more projects if you want, only one will get assigned ;-) OpenID is already implemented in 1.5, so this one would certainly not make it.

Within Summer Of Code you are able to do core coding, a seperate branch will be assigned, and when works is completed it might be merged intro the trunk. One way or the other, make a proposal (don't forget to read the guideliness) and submit it.

Gardener
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Gardener » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:12 pm

Yeah, but My Joomla was more than OpenID, it was about the social networking part as well, so it should still be of interest, or should I just concentrate on my other ideas?

I guess I could send in more applications, but I'd like to make my application really good so that my chances will be as good as possible. So I would like to concentrate on a single application.

As for the core coding, there are some ideas proposed for that, so I understand it is possible. It's just that it's not really my cup of tea, I prefer doing things of my own. And I would like to get more experience in developing Joomla 1.5 components as well.
This is silly.

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by willebil » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:21 pm

It is possible to apply with more projects, but in general it indeed is more wise to put in a well written proposal so you have more change. It is totaly up to you what you propose, but keep in mind that you become part of a team working together to realize your project, at least you need to work with a mentor.

Not sure what you mean with the social networking idea (in combination with openid), but something like that would really be nice. As you can see in the mentor guideline description there is a digg-alike project idea as example posted.

Gardener
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Gardener » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:28 pm

Creation of a 'my joomla' like extension for Joomla! 1.5 to be used on our news sites. The goal of this extension would be to offer people a 'My Joomla! account they can use to communicate, have an overview of their activity, etc ... Ideally the system would use OpenID to give them a unique login that can be used across all sites. Basically it would be a social networking extensions for 1.5 tailored to the Joomla! community. Of course we would offer it under a GPL license so other communities can benefit from it too.
This is the one I'm talking about.

The other projects I have in mind should definately be useful for a lot of sites using Joomla, and would hopefully help Joomla be an even better contender in the CMS world.
This is silly.

Return to “Past Google Summer of Code Editions”