Weather Magnet module - user selectable

Discuss the development and implementation of Joomla! modules here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
focalguy
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Weather Magnet module - user selectable

Post by focalguy » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:33 am

So I have a couple scripts from weather.com that I am using in the Weather Magnet module. I have made a copy of the module so I can just switch which one is published to make different weather locations appear. I want this to be able to be selected by the user. A nice drop-down box would be nice, but I would be happy with any alternative. If there is another weather module that does this, I would consider switching.

Here is what I have tried: I created a new menu called weather_menu and placed it below the module. I then created two menu items and set the modules to display themselves only on those menu items. Problem is that I don't really want the users to have to leave the home page just to change the weather display so I made the menu item a link-to-component-home. Apparently this doesn't work as is the same as menu item home and the default weather is used.

So is there any other way I could manipulate the page to change weather by clicking a menu item? Or am I going to have to make a content section for weather and have the menu link to that? Or am I just making this way too complicated  :-\ ?
Last edited by focalguy on Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

focalguy
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Weather Magnet module - user selectable

Post by focalguy » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:05 am

I really think there is a simple solution to this, I just haven't thought of it yet.... anyone???

aravot
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by aravot » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:12 am

I am interested in this too, user selectable weather location.

sirdilbert
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sirdilbert » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:36 am

Eweather is able to do this for Joomla 1.0 and is non-commercial. The problem is that it will not work with 1.5 at all. TWC4J works for 1.5, but it is commercial. These are the only ones I have found. I have not used the twc4j as I am too cheap to buy it. I will wait on a free option.

duckjunkie
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by duckjunkie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:15 pm

Anyone find a solution since this thread was started? I am still searching for a weather module that will display weather based on the user's location...
I did find this paid solution you mentioned but I am deciding if it's worth paying for: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... casts/4959
Thanks!
New to Joomla! but trying really hard to figure things out on my own! If I am asking here, I am likely frustrated, embarrassed or otherwise not happy. Please be easy on me and I will try to get back to it on my own without being a pest. ;)

Return to “Modules”