Jumi - an universal multipurpose module

Discuss the development and implementation of Joomla! modules here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
j
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Jumi - an universal multipurpose module

Post by j » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:02 pm

Hi,

is it possible to use jumi to include a component inside a page. What I am trying to do is to put some text above eventcal. I am trying to call the module like this inside a jumi file but I get an error. Loading modules works fine. Thanks in advance!

Peers
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Peers » Sat May 05, 2007 5:29 am

I would like to extend my thanks to MarHaj, who I gather wrote this fine piece of code...

I have a system coded as JSP, and unfortunately fell in love with Joomla... which doesn't play nice with JSP. I also, unfortunately, have had next to no experience with PHP.

But with Jumi and the posts on this thread, I've gotten something vaguely Ajaxian set up that calls my JSPs and everything works how I want it to, and it's saved me... well, it's a hobby project, so possibly months of work either coding my own front-end, hunting down a JSP CMS I liked, or recoding my stuff in PHP.

Amazingly useful! You have my gratitude.

crystali
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by crystali » Sat May 05, 2007 9:47 am

Hi,

I have a simple third party search script in a .html file that calls on three Javascript files in the root of my site. I have installed Jumi.
In the Jumi module I point to the .html file.

When I look at my site the Jumi module is displayed, the search dialog is displayed.

If you type in any  search, it works. So all is well as to the basic functionallity.

However the search results are being displayed Outside my site and not within the Jumi module in Joomla.
This is a third party search on there site, but all the files for the search are provided by them and are located in the root of my site. I need to display the results in my site.

I currently using Joomlas Wrapper and have it WRAPPED in Joomla, but as with any wrap, the results can be inconsistant.

Can anyone help with getting the results of the search to display within the same Jumi module or within my site?

I have looked at the Two Module example, but that would notdo it for me. I need the results to display in the same module.

Any help will be apprechiated.

Reagrds
Glenn Pearson
Signature Rules: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,65.0.html
Only 2 URL's allowed.

simoslav
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by simoslav » Sun May 06, 2007 1:30 am

hi and many thanks for jumi
how can i include this code from webinsta newsletter in jumi please:

i have webinsta installed as /maillist in the root
many thanks

MarHaj
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by MarHaj » Sun May 06, 2007 7:13 pm

Would love to use JUMI to offer a secure SSL order form
1. The form must be SSL
2. Would like to call a javascript file instead of inserting the javascript in the page
3. Also need to call a CSS file, too
4. Would be great, as well, if JUMI could work with ARTIO Sef
Can JUMI do all of the above using Joomla 1.0.12 ?
ad 1. It depends on your form not on Jumi. Jumi itself does nothing but inserts custom code into pages (module or content position).
ad 2.,3. it works. Tested.
ad 4. I know nothing about Artio Sef. But because a module and/or plugin do not change addresses I think Jumi have to work.
MarHaj

MarHaj
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by MarHaj » Sun May 06, 2007 7:20 pm

j wrote: Hi,
is it possible to use jumi to include a component inside a page. What I am trying to do is to put some text above eventcal. I am trying to call the module like this inside a jumi file but I get an error. Loading modules works fine. Thanks in advance!
Hm, I am affraid it is rather complicated and nonstandard.
If you want just put  some text above eventcal, the most simple way would be to write the write the neccessary code directly into eventcal.

Sorry I could not give you more positive answer.
MarHaj

MarHaj
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by MarHaj » Sun May 06, 2007 7:26 pm

the search results are being displayed Outside my site and not within the Jumi module in Joomla
Try to wrap the code inside your .html script into the tag. Then the search output should be contained inside a module.
MarHaj

MarHaj
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by MarHaj » Sun May 06, 2007 7:38 pm

simoslav wrote: hi and many thanks for jumi
how can i include this code from webinsta newsletter in jumi please:

i have webinsta installed as /maillist in the root
many thanks
Well.
There are two ways. the easisest one is exactly the same you do:
1. Save the code following code into the file e.g. maillist/myfile.php. Notice, it is your code - the extra line is just for the security reasons.

Code: Select all

<?php
	defined( '_VALID_MOS' ) or die( 'Restricted access' );
        $mailbar=1;
        $group=1;
        include("maillist/mailbar.php");
?>
2. If you want to show the script results in a module pocition, use Jumi module. In the admin interface there is a line pathway. You should write there maillist/myfile.php. Save it. Publicate it. Thats all.
If you want to show the the script results in a content, zou have to install Jumi plugin. The open article and write in the appropriate place {jumi [maillist/myfile.php]} Save it. Publicate it. Thats all.
MarHaj

simoslav
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by simoslav » Sun May 06, 2007 9:44 pm

so sorry but there is another code to include too, plz look :

Some where in the homepage.php page put in

(choose from $mailbar1 to 4 and later select a group)

Then somewhere on the same page also put the following lines

Where the sentence appear :Your subscribe messages here:
your subscribe messages will appear

reichgut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by reichgut » Mon May 07, 2007 1:21 am

Hi MarHaj,

I am having a strange problem passing arguments. In my site, I have four Jumi modules all of which work correctly when I pass no arguments to the included file.

In each of the four modules, I created one argument that I want to pass in: "[57]". Do I need to include any other code in the arguments besides my one argument mentioned above?

As soon as I try echoing that argument in the included file: "echo $jumi[0];". My index page stops displaying correctly. What I think is happening is that things load correctly until I reach my first Jumi module with the echo described above.

At that point, I am getting some kind of error that ends any additional modules from being displayed. No error is actually displayed. I am just assuming that is the problem since no additional content gets displayed.

Any ideas?

reichgut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by reichgut » Mon May 07, 2007 1:39 am

Nevermind. I just realized the problem. Coding error on my part.  :) Scratch my post above. It's working fine for me now.

crystali
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by crystali » Mon May 07, 2007 7:03 am

Hi,
How do I do this in the module?
Try to wrap the code inside your .html script into the tag. Then the search output should be contained inside a module.
I call the file In the File pathname.

I don't know what to put in the Argument values?

Can you help.
Thanks
Glenn
Only 2 URL's allowed.

MarHaj
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by MarHaj » Mon May 07, 2007 7:50 am

...but there is another code to include too...
I see there is much complicated than I thought.
For the first sight it seems that the first included file can show several pages and the rest of the code reacts to them - reads some values from $_GET.
Because you want to use a module I advice you to insert the whole code into the tag. It provide you handling of the module content as an independent web pages.
Like this>

// look at the desription of html tag

where scr contains path to your html/php code
Last edited by MarHaj on Mon May 07, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarHaj

MarHaj
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by MarHaj » Mon May 07, 2007 8:01 am

Cristali
I don't know what to put in the Argument values?
Put there nothing: If your custom code does not contain $jumi[] variables, and your does not, then there is no need to put anything in "Argument values" filed.
MarHaj

simoslav
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by simoslav » Mon May 07, 2007 12:33 pm

MarHaj wrote:
...but there is another code to include too...
I see there is much complicated than I thought.
For the first sight it seems that the first included file can show several pages and the rest of the code reacts to them - reads some values from $_GET.
Because you want to use a module I advice you to insert the whole code into the tag. It provide you handling of the module content as an independent web pages.
Like this>

// look at the desription of html tag

can you please explain more

PhatJack
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PhatJack » Mon May 07, 2007 6:53 pm

I seem to have a peculiar problem.  My php script works, but not necesarrily within the joomla framework when imported via jumi.

When you go to this link:
http://74.220.207.73/~adihome1/refcons/refcons2.php

You can see that a list of contacts is generated from a database.  Click on "Sort By Last Name, State, Company" it will sort the names accordingly by querying the database.

However, when this file is imported into joomla via Jumi, they wont sort.  Here's the link:
http://74.220.207.73/~adihome1/index.ph ... &Itemid=54

Am doing something wrong?  I know a little bit about php but not a ton.  So it could be an error in my code.

Also the jumi code in the content item looks like this:
{jumi [refcons/refcons2.php]}

I appreciate any insight you guys can provide.

MarHaj
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by MarHaj » Mon May 07, 2007 7:14 pm

can you please explain more
Simoslav,
the philosophy of modules and plugins is that they show a code within Joomla! pages. So modules and plugins have no own http address.
If the script contains code that changes your addresses, e.g. whole applications or web sites, and it seems to me that this is your case, there is a simple way how to include even this code. Via html tag . You can find description of the tag elsewhere.
So I advice you wrap the whole script into this tag. So your custom file, e.g. myfile.php will look as I described.

Is this the specificity you need?
MarHaj

simoslav
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by simoslav » Mon May 07, 2007 7:23 pm

yes and i need more  :) plz provide links  :) many thanks  :)

MarHaj
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by MarHaj » Mon May 07, 2007 7:27 pm

when this file is imported into joomla via Jumi, they wont sort
PhatJack,
Your code evidentlz works but not in a moduleor plugin.

Maybe the problem lies in the refreshing of the pages. Standard html pages refreshes as a whole not piece by pice, line by line. A module or a plugin just inserts lines into your pages. So you have to use some dynamic technique for refreshing just these lines - your custom output into module/plugin.
DHTML, Javascript, Ajax come to my mind.
MarHaj

crystali
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by crystali » Mon May 07, 2007 7:37 pm

Hi, can you show me how to wrap a page in an Iframe, ysing your jumi Module.

I call the file In the:  File pathname.

I don't know what to put in the : Argument values? IE Frames + [Square brackets]

I have a php file called xxxxxx.php in the root of my site.

In the file pathname I put /xxxxxxx.php.

How do i wrap the php file in the Jumi Module - what arguments do I put in the Arguments Value Box.

I tried [xxxxxxx.php]

No Joy - It comes up as a standard module.

Thanks
Glenn
Only 2 URL's allowed.

MarHaj
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by MarHaj » Mon May 07, 2007 8:40 pm

Sorry for not correctly describing

There are many resources how to use on the internet there. E.g.: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_iframe.asp or http://www.sitepoint.com/article/frames ... xplained/5

Including of your scipr is via includes attribute scr:

Code: Select all

<iframe src="includes/yourcode.php" width="xxx" height="xxx" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
So you will have to have two files actually: the first will be with tag - this should be included via Jumi. The second file is another script, maybe very compicated, and that is included via the first file.

By this approach you can show whole websites ar Joomla indepenent applications in a module position or content item.

By the way the same technique uses standard Joomla component - wrapper.
Last edited by MarHaj on Mon May 07, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarHaj

drokkon
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by drokkon » Thu May 10, 2007 4:53 pm

This plugin is an answer to my prayers. I have two questions:

1) Why do my called pages "cover" an article's table of contents? http://test.eyelinegolf.com/index.php?o ... mitstart=3

2) On every page on my site, I've got several custom modules that call PHP files using Jumi. I call PHP files to generate dynamic content based on the "id" variable in the address bar. Every PHP file calls another, standardized PHP file that assigns several variables based on this "id" variable. Because this ONE php file is called by 6 or 7 other PHP files on every page, I assume my performance is pretty crappy!!! I've tried referencing the one COMMON php file from the index.php or the template html file, but it doesn't seem to pass the variables to the 6 or 7 other PHP files. I guess what I'm asking is, is there ONE location I can call a variable-assigning PHP file so that it can pass the variables to any module or content on the page?

To clarify, the "id" variable on the address bar determines what product the user is viewing. I pass that through all these modules to show the correct title, picture, add to cart button, etc. I did this so I didn't have to make 4 separate modules for every single page. http://test.eyelinegolf.com

Thanks!

Teddy
Last edited by drokkon on Thu May 10, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarHaj
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by MarHaj » Thu May 10, 2007 7:00 pm

Teddy,
You have got nice golf pages indeed!

As to your questions.
1. Why do my called pages "cover" an article's table of contents?
It's the problem of CSS design: you have got two tables overlapping...
table.contentoc and the content which is table again.
E.g. try
contenttoc {float: right}
2. is there ONE location I can call a variable-assigning PHP file o that it can pass the variables to any module or content on the page?
I am not quite sure I understand the problem.
But if the problem lies in passing the variable into several files without referencing them then yes, there is a solution: define your global or superglobal (e.g. session) variables and use them.
MarHaj

drokkon
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by drokkon » Thu May 10, 2007 7:15 pm

My pages may LOOK nice, but that doesn't mean I'm any good at programming. ;) Thanks so much for your help and kind words! I'll have to look into the code you mentioned and see if I can't figure it out...

1) I'm assuming I need to change the CSS code for contenttoc - I'll look into that.

2) I know nothing about global or session variables - I'll go read up on it! :)

Thanks so much!!!

Teddy

thegman
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by thegman » Fri May 11, 2007 8:52 pm

Hi All,
Sorry for the offtopic post. I use Jumi on my site and i think that it is FANTASTIC...but i have one MAJOR problem. The information that I pull from an external PHP file is not included along with the Joomla-Search results when i perform a search on the site. Is there any work around or option i can use to fix this?

Many Thanks,
G

MarHaj
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by MarHaj » Sat May 12, 2007 11:55 am

The information that I pull from an external PHP file is not included along with the Joomla-Search results
Thegman, Joomla search component searches in Joomla MySQL database through various search plugins/mambots. You can find them in mambots/search directory: every search plugin searches specific table from Joomla database.

Conslusion: if you want to include search results from other databases/tables you have to write your own search plugin.

Manuals "How to write custom search plugins" can be found in books on Mambo/Joomla from PACK publishing and, I believe, can be found on internet too. It is also reccomended to study current search plugins codes.
Last edited by MarHaj on Sat May 12, 2007 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarHaj

mpaler
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mpaler » Sat May 12, 2007 7:28 pm

Hi MarHaj,

First off thank you for such a great Module/Plugin. It's so simple to use yet so powerful. Especially for experienced php programmers that are new to Joomla. And also thankyou for all your responses to peoples questions. Very generous in deed.

This is a question to you (and anyone else who may know):

I understand how to access php globals from any embedded jumi script -- but how does one access Joomla!'s globals? I assume it's a similar method. Do you know how to print out or view all the joomla globals similar to phpInfo()? Or do you know of where the globals are documented?

I feel this would be a useful thing to have on this thread.

Thanks again,
Michael

MarHaj
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by MarHaj » Sun May 13, 2007 6:50 pm

Sorry, I do not know the resource where Joomla 1.0.x global variables are desribed.  Try asking at Joomla developers forum: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/board,126.0.html

But I think,  as I remember your objective, you have to sete up your own global variables and make use of them by your many modules. And it is the feature of the programming language - PHP and not the application - Joomla. So I advice you to find some good PHP resource, e.g. a book.
MarHaj

plgmgua
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by plgmgua » Wed May 16, 2007 3:15 pm

Hi, Great Plugin, Thanks for sharing.

Ok, I've been playing with  "two_modules" script and it works fine,  but I want to interact between one module and one "article" of content,  but when I embed "my_output" with {jumi [/jumi/my_output.php]} In the frontend I get this error: (newbee that I am in php)

Warning: Attempt to assign property of non-object in D:\www\xampp\htdocs\mambots\content\plugin_jumi.php on line 70

Warning: Attempt to assign property of non-object in D:\www\xampp\htdocs\mambots\content\visualrecommendbot.php on line 90

Warning: Attempt to assign property of non-object in D:\www\xampp\htdocs\components\com_content\content.html.php on line 902

Warning: Attempt to assign property of non-object in D:\www\xampp\htdocs\components\com_content\content.html.php on line 908

What do you think I'm doing wrong.
Last edited by plgmgua on Wed May 16, 2007 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarHaj
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by MarHaj » Thu May 17, 2007 8:10 am

Hi Plgmgua,
you have got interesting idea:
I want to interact between one module and one "article" of content ...
I do not know the reason of the error know. Let's try to resolve it:

Are you using the original demo scripts my_form.php and my_output.php? They are simple enough for finding a solution.
MarHaj

Return to “Modules”