svn: Commit failed...authorization failed

If you have any 'mechanical' forge related issues/suggestions, pop them in here.

Moderators: RussW, ChiefGoFor

yitwail
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

svn: Commit failed...authorization failed

Post by yitwail » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:18 pm

Earlier, I gave a lengthy description of my problem. It's just as well I got no reply, because I've figured out my problem. But to recap, whenever I tried to commit, I got a SVN Commit dialogue that says Enter username and Password over and over before the commit fails. Then it fails with a message like,
Error: CHECKOUT of '/svn/joomla/!svn/ver/11411/development/releases/1.5': authorization failed (http://joomlacode.org)

Eventually, I realized I lacked write permission for that URL, so there was nothing wrong with my Joomla install, but then I researched how I could set up a local repository for all the Joomla source. For all Joomla & SVN newbies & do-it-yourselfers, here's one way:

1) make a directory for all your repositories, for instance, C:\svn\repos
2) in windows file explorer, rt-click on that directory, and execute TortoiseSVN > Create repository here
3) in Eclipse SVN view, rt-click and execute New > Repository Location
and specify Url: file:///c:/svn/repos

It's a little more work to make a new Eclipse project and import & commit all the Joomla code, but not nearly as arcane as making a repository. Needless to say, if you don't have TortoiseSVN, it might be trickier. So far, I haven't had to install or use an SVN command line client. ;D

Return to “JoomlaCode.org”