Problem with SVN integration

If you have any 'mechanical' forge related issues/suggestions, pop them in here.

Moderators: RussW, ChiefGoFor

Clubnite
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Problem with SVN integration

Post by Clubnite » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:27 pm

hi,

i am new to coding for joomla and would like to create a component. i would like to use svn for professional coding and already got me a small peace of version controling on joomlacode.org.

but i don't get all things combined as i would like to have them. atm i have set my zend studio workspace on htdocs and my project is named like my joomla root folder so i have the complete cms in my project's view. now my idea was to live code on my extension within the cms and immediately view the changes in my web browser. that works all properly! but how could i add my /com_mycomponent and /administrator/com_mycomponent to the svn system on the one hand and keep the suggested svn structure of /branches /tags /trunk? this ain't possible even after the 20th try. i know how to make it using a local repository outside the cms folder. but then i would have to copy around my code changes to the cms in apache/htdocs folder to view it. that's pretty uncomfortable.

i was searching for some tut within this forum as well as google but couldn'f find one covering this topic. plenty "how to svn" tuts are available but none covers the problem i describe atm.

don't get it how else to make it to finally have it like i want it. can you pros please gimme little startup support and tell me if its possible like that at all or how else i could deal with it?

regards,

clubbie

gamupstate
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Problem with SVN integration

Post by gamupstate » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:48 am

If your running Linux, you can place your project externally, for example:
/projects/myproject/components/mycomponent
/projects/myproject/administration/components/mycomponent

Then in /htdocs/components make a softlink of mycomponent to the front end folder, and /htdocs/administration/components make a soft link to the admin side.

So you do your checkin/out from projects and no copying is needed.

Clubnite
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Clubnite » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:05 pm

thanks gamupstate for ur relply. unfortuneately i don't run linux. but i got ur idea and will try out if that symlink solution will work on windows too. update will follow...

regards, clubbie

Clubnite
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Clubnite » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:25 pm

Update:
i moved the com_mycomponent folder to another partition. right-clicked it and created a new link to this folder and moved this link to my htdocs/components folder. as a result my cms shows a 404 error page with message "component not found".

did i do it the wrong way or does it basically not work under windows?

.htaccess is configured to
Options +FollowSymLinks
mabe you could advise me the correct way, please?

Return to “JoomlaCode.org”