joomla 1.5 installation - ftp bug?

Please see sticky inside.
mambo dancer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

joomla 1.5 installation - ftp bug?

Post by mambo dancer » Sat May 05, 2007 12:00 pm

Hi,

I just downloaded the latest beta2, and trying to install.. on the ftp configuration page I get the following error:

ftp not valid or not compatible with joomla, function STOR failed.

I believe the problem is that my username contains and @. eg:  admin@site.com. My ensim server obliges me to use an @ in the username.

Anyone else seen this?

Regards

Robin
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: joomla 1.5 installation - ftp bug?

Post by Robin » Sat May 05, 2007 7:35 pm

Moderator note: moving from Installation to 1.5 Beta-2

askjv
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by askjv » Sat May 05, 2007 9:19 pm

I am getting the same thing, and I do not have @ in my ftp, I have a dash, numbers and letter.
It says that my ftp server is not compatible with Joomla!
This is a distressing and vague message and I have only got my Barchetta halfway out of the garage.
I am going to proceed anyway as most users will do.

I was also confused because there is a stern warning about the ftp layer being important, and yet next to the "enable ftp filesystem layer" the radio button is defaulted to "no". Am I supposed to change it to yes, or is it a suggestion?

Thanks for any help!
Julie

Jinx
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jinx » Sat May 05, 2007 11:15 pm

First question, where are you installing 1.5 onto ? If on a local machine, XP/Mac turn FTP off, if on a dedicated server also turn it off, only if you are installing on a shared hosting environment, especially on cpanel installations you will need the FTP feature.

So general advice if you are having problems with the FTP layer, try without it :)
Johan Janssens - Joomla Co-Founder, Lead Developer of Joomla 1.5

http://www.joomlatools.com - Joomla extensions that just work

Masochist
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Masochist » Sun May 06, 2007 6:34 am

Hello,

I am facing the same problem too. And it is for sure because of the FTP account name which includes @. I believe this problem must be solved since most of the new shared servers give you the same @ in your FTP accounts.

Please advice.

the Vegan
Some people created religious intentions only to feel superior and to have a licence to kill ~ Epica (Facade of Reality)

rbuelund
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by rbuelund » Sun May 06, 2007 6:34 pm

I've got the same problem on a shared server
Ronny Buelund
Coordinator of the Danish Joomla Translation Team: http://danskjoomla.dk
Owner of http://ableit.dk

Masochist
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Masochist » Sun May 06, 2007 7:46 pm

I believe that this issue must be taken in consideration because I contacted the host provider and asked them for a solution to remove the @ from my FTP accounts and the replied with negative... Dunno what to do !

the Vegan
Some people created religious intentions only to feel superior and to have a licence to kill ~ Epica (Facade of Reality)

iainshaw
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by iainshaw » Mon May 07, 2007 8:59 am

I also got the FTP error messages - Note my FTP username does not contain an @.  I carried on with the install and then tried to change the FTP configuration in the global configuration in the admin section.  got 2 error messages saying
1)  the configuration.php file could not be written to. Permissions were set to 777.
2) JFTP write error
I edited the configuration.php file manually and the issue went away.  I am now using the FTP layer.

One thing I had not realised and please correct me if this is wrong.  I am now able to make changes to global configuration with the configuration.php permissions at 644.  Is this correct or am I hallucinating :)

Spoke too soon. 

Code: Select all

* JFTP::mkdir: Bad response
        * JFTP::chmod: Bad response
        * JFTP::mkdir: Bad response
        * JFTP::chmod: Bad response
        * JFTP::write: Bad response

I am able to save the configuration but get the error messages above when I try to create directories in Media Manager

//////////////////////// Update ///////////////////////////

OK, so I get it now.  Had the FTP Root wrong.  Have ammended that to be the root of my development site and it all seems to be working.
Last edited by iainshaw on Mon May 07, 2007 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.brilliantliving.co.uk - Smart Home technology and lighting design powered by Joomla!

chrisphillips
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chrisphillips » Sat May 12, 2007 12:34 pm

Hi,

Another vote for getting this fixed. I've always been a bit concerned at having to open directories to 777 to get extensions to work and this looked like it was going to be the solution.

Regards,
Chris

rbmcnutt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rbmcnutt » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:30 am

I ran into a couple of bugs in this area as well. From the Server tab in Global Configuration (Site > Configuration), I enabled the FTP server and defined a new account, as it was previously blank. When I did this, it locked down the configuration.php file with 444. I was then unable to change the account name or disable the FTP server. I received the following error messages in that case:

* JFTP::login: Unable to login
        * JFTP::write: Unable to use passive mode

* An Error Has Occurred! Unable to open config file to write!

As detailed by a previous posting, 644 appears to provide the permissions required to edit the configuration.php file.  I went in manually and edited the permissions on the configuration.php file, then I was able to make changes to the file again (once). Upon a subsequent change to the file, the permissions again reverted to 444.  Is that expected behavior? is there a setting to disable that lock down of the configuration.php file?

Last, each time I attempt a change under Global Configuration, I am presented with a Confirm Password Change dialog box (using FireFox 2.0.0.4 on WinXP SP2) and a list of the usernames associated with all of my Joomla servers (not just this one).  I am not sure what is throwing this dialog box--FireFox or Joomla--I've never seen it before in FireFox. Is it possible that it Is that supposed to re-authenticate the FTP user for changes? I read something about that on the forums where each change now  requires re-authentication to the FTP layer (a change made in Beta 2). If so, the wrong dialog box is being called in my client case.

Diederik
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Diederik » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:48 am

rbmcnutt wrote:         * JFTP::login: Unable to login
        * JFTP::write: Unable to use passive mode

* An Error Has Occurred! Unable to open config file to write!
In the first global configuration tab, you will find 2 fields for you username and pwd fill this in first.
Then apply and go on to the 3rd tab server and fill in your ftp info.

if this doesn't work clear your cash andtry again.

rbmcnutt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rbmcnutt » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:14 pm

Diederik-

I don't see the username/password pair that you've referred to. The only username/password pairs that I see in 1.5 B2 are on the Server tab of the Global Configuration page, which is the third tab. There are three username/password pairs on that tab, FTP, database, and SMTP.

Any thoughts?

Diederik
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Diederik » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:05 pm

if all fails, download your configuration file.

find these values:

var $ftp_host = '127.0.0.1';
var $ftp_port = '21';
var $ftp_user = '';
var $ftp_pass = '';
var $ftp_root = '';
var $ftp_enable = '0';

change them to your ftp server values.
$ftp_enable should be 1 when you wish to use it.
Last edited by Diederik on Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbmcnutt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rbmcnutt » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:21 pm

Thanks, Diederik. As I detailed in my first post, changing the file permissions manually allows me to work around this issue. In fact, I did as you mentioned the first time I went in to edit the file. What tipped me off was that I could not save the file even in manual mode until I changed the file permissions. That is the behavior that I am questioning as expected or not.

Diederik
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Diederik » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:49 pm

On a remote linux server I belief this is the correct way. The ftp layer in joomla does the same thing it changes the file permissions. Edits the file and then change the file permissions again.

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 BETA 2”