Breadcrumbs behaviour not as expected

Please see sticky inside.
jonflgiles
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Breadcrumbs behaviour not as expected

Post by jonflgiles » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:08 pm

Hi,

I haven't really had much use for Breadcrumbs until now but playing around with it in 1.5 and had a question:

Should the breadcrumbs module display the route to an article in context? Put another way should it be in the structure:

Home > Section > Category > Article title

In the mock up site I am playing with it uses a number of sub-menus in different locations which appear in context so there are times when a menu link is provided to an article directly e.g. 2nd or 3rd level menu: When this occurs the breadcrumbs display Home > Article Title.

While this isn't a great issue it kinda negates the idea of breadcrumbs for me. I am off to investigate what happens if you navigate to the article via links in the standard section and or category layouts but in the test site I have made I do not want users to navigate via a category or article list.

On a more bug like theme when I open an item linked from the newsflash module it the wrong breadcrumbs are produced: Shows something like:
Home > Section currently browsing > Cat of newsflash article > Article
where to my mind it should be more like -
Home > Section of newsflash article > Cat of newsflash article > Article.

If others agree then I will post a bug report in Q&T but wanted to check what others thought? (I haven't used breadcrumbs in any of my production 1.0.12 sites so can't compare behaviour without making a clean install locally)

Cheers,
Jon.

Current set-up offline test bed:
Apache/2.2.4 (Win32) (WAMP5)
PHP 5.2.3
MySQL 5.0.41-community-nt
Joomla 1.5 Beta2 Build 7726
FF 2.0.0.4

(edits for sp and clarity!)
Last edited by jonflgiles on Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avdkooij
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Breadcrumbs behaviour not as expected

Post by avdkooij » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:38 pm

breadcrumbs are not sticked to section->categories->article structure.

in stead the breadcrumbs (joomla calls it patyway) is linked to the menu structure. In the menu manager you can find the id of a menu item. This id is called in the url of the page the 'Ïtemid'.

To prevent user have to assign every content item to a menu item, most components (e.g. frontpage, newsflash) make a guess to which menu item the content item belongs.

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 BETA 2”