Newsflash oddity

Please see sticky inside.
ohc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Newsflash oddity

Post by ohc » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Just playing around, I deleted all of the newsflash articles from the sample data install.  I created a new newsflash article, but it would not appear in the newsflash section.  I finally gave up. The next day it was there.  So I created another newsflash article and again I could not get it to appear.  This was on Saturday and now today there it is.  Seems to be an issue with the date.

Anybody else see this?

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Newsflash oddity

Post by leadict » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:00 am

Did you create that article at Front-end?
Were you logged at Back-end with the same user at the same time?
What newsflash section are you talking about? Menu item or Latest News module.

Please write the steps to replicate that issue.
"The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think" - Edwin Schlossberg.

ohc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ohc » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:17 am

I  created the articles in the back end.  Using the sample data install, they were created with Section:News and Category:Newsflash.  In the Milkyway template, articles in the newsflash category appear in the top header.  They rotate each time you go to the page or refresh.

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:26 am

Hi ohc,

I have verified that one just now, and i can't replicate that issue. I have trashed all articles in the "Newflash" category, and then added a new article to that category. That article is displayed correctly at Newflash module on the top.

Tested on 7830 build (Please verify it with a Nightly build or svn version: http://dev.joomla.org/content/view/17/60/)
"The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think" - Edwin Schlossberg.

ohc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ohc » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:13 am

Leadict,

Thanks for taking the time to investigate.  I am still having the same issue.  I don't know why you are not.  I just did a clean install of Joomla 1.5 SVN 7866.  It was installed under WAMP in Windows XP.  I trashed all of the Newsflash articles.  I created a test Newsflash article and it doesn't show up in the Newsflash area on top.  I bet when I come in tomorrow, it wiill be there.

Stephen

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:51 pm

Hi Stephen,

Sorry for the delay. I have tested it again on 7883 build with a different approach and it works for me.

I have added a new section, a new category and a new article in it, and assigned the Newflash module to that category. And the article was showed at Front-end in the Newflash module.

Did you have verified if the article has an Published status? Maybe it can have a Pending status (that could be a possible explanation).

If the problem remains, this thread could be moved to the 1.5 Q&T board for more investigation.

Regards,
Leandro

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:43 pm

Set your newsflash module to a different location, and see if it displays there.  If it does, then you have a template issue.

If it doesn't, put your newsflash articles (the ones not showing up) to the frontpage, and check the publishing data there.  For some reason, the publishing data there is different than the data under the article manager.  If it shows publication pending, change the publication date to a few days ago, save changes, and take the article off the frontpage.  It should start to work.

(Sorry to kinda take over there leadict, but I just went through 2-3 hours of trying to solve this problem myself.  And thanks by the way, without your last post there, I never would've taken a closer look at the publishing data, because under the article manager, it shows published and current, even though thats not the case).

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:52 pm

@Lottario

Then, have you discovered a possible bug with publishing date?

If so, please describe your finds. I will try to investigate if there is any related report.

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:16 pm

I don't think its a bug with the publishing date, there's just a difference in displays between the Article Manager and the Frontpage Manager.  In the article manager, the only two publish icons I've seen are Published & Current (I think thats what its called, I don't have access to Joomla! again until Monday, so I'm doing this from memory) and Not Published.  However, on recently created articles, even though they show Published & Current in the Article Manager, when sent to the Frontpage Manager, they show Publishing Pending.  These articles will still display on the Frontpage, or on other pages, but Newsflash won't accept them until the publishing date is reached.  Setting the publication date to a few days before the current date allows the articles to be Published and Current, and display in the Newsflashes.

bigbeeus
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bigbeeus » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:52 pm

I have had very similar problems with with most new posts.  I just click and change the article create and publish date.  If I create a new article on July 11, 2007 at 10:33AM I just go in and click on the calendar and change the date to July 11, 2007 and the time becomes 00:00. 

The article will then come up in recent news, and on the section/category page.  If you don't change the date it will come up the next day.  Hope this helps.

Bill
www.billharder.com

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:26 pm

Hi Stephen, Lottario and Bill,

Have you verified if the issue with publishing date still exists in a current Nightly Build?. If so, please write the steps to replicate it and your system information.

Thanks,
Leandro

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:35 pm

I know its not the absolute most current nightly build,  but using the one from the 12th or 13th, doing the following:

1) Create a new article
2) Don't change any default settings (meaning no changing any dates, and make sure its set to publish when created)
3) Assign a newsflash or latest news (perhaps other modules too, but those are the two I know of) module to display the article you created

The article will not appear in the module.  However, if you go back to the article and change the start publishing date to a few days before (or, I assume, wait a day or two, although I haven't tried that one), the module will now display the article.

I hope the build I'm using is current enough.  I'll upgrade if necessary, but changing all the permissions on Linux is annoying, so I'd rather not if I don't have to.

EDIT: Apparently, I can't access system info from my Joomla! Admin area (the page comes up without any info in it...)
Last edited by Lottario on Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigbeeus
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bigbeeus » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:36 pm

Leandro,

I wish I could say I have tested it or could test it, but I am not sure how the nightly build process works.  I have started looking at the SVN stuff but I believe that I am aways out.

Bill
www.billharder.com
leadict wrote: Hi Stephen, Lottario and Bill,

Have you verified if the issue with publishing date still exists in a current Nightly Build?. If so, please write the steps to replicate it and your system information.

Thanks,
Leandro

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:40 pm

Leandro walked me through the nightly build upgrades in another topic, so I have a link to help you: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,189991.0.html

He had to explain it twice cause I was dumb, but that should help you update.

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:55 pm

Lottario wrote: EDIT: Apparently, I can't access system info from my Joomla! Admin area (the page comes up without any info in it...)
That is related with a recent issue already fixed on latest build:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,189963.0.html

Anyway, i am trying to figure what is the problem with publishing date. I don't be able to replicate it in my installation. I will try to investigate more :).
Last edited by leadict on Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:03 pm

Something I should add: In the article manager, the article is displayed as published and current.  However, if you send the article to the frontpage, and look on the Frontpage Manager, the article is displayed as published but pending.  The article will still display on the frontpage in this state, just not in the modules.

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:20 pm

@Lottario,

I have not found any related report. So, please when you have a spare time, i would appreciate that you open a report on the 1.5 Q&T board, explaining the issue, with the steps to replicate it and your system info (i think it is a issue related with the environment of your system).

To access to the system info, if you are experiencing the problem when accesing to it, you must enable Legacy mode again and then you will be able to get it.

Thanks very much.

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:14 pm

Thanks for the help opening the system info :)

I opened the new report like you asked, hopefully in some way I'm helping to make Joomla! 1.5 a bit better :)

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:35 pm

That's for sure. Thanks 8).

Just as control and feed-back for another users, Lottario's report is here:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,191648.0.html

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 BETA 2”