Context Sensitive Menus

Please see sticky inside.
jeffreywpearson
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Context Sensitive Menus

Post by jeffreywpearson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:45 pm

Noob question: I am setting up a web site for my childs PTO group. Its not a 'production' site yet so I am good with the 1.5B.

I am looking to make the menus on the left be section specific. Is that even possible? You can see what I am asking at the site:

http://www.chepcockatiels.com

So if I go to the About CHEP section, the About CHEP menu appears on the left. If you are on another page, like Home, it does not.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Pearson

jonflgiles
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Context Sensitive Menus

Post by jonflgiles » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:58 pm

Hey Jeff,

Welcome aboard!

i think i get what you mean althought I suspect from looking at your site you've already figured this out. The About Chep menu (below the main menu structure) is a content module in it's own right. You can define when this appear and when it doesn't according to which menu item has been clicked or whether a user is logged in or not.

To explore these properties: Log in to the back end, browse to the Module manager (Extentions | module manager) and look for the menu named About Us (assuming you created a new menu and named it that - failing that it will be one of the items with the type mod_mainmenu in the right hand column). Under Menu Assignment you can choose which menu items this appears for i.e. the context it is in. Note that you can control who sees the menus using Access Level.

Hope this helps - shout if you need more guidance!

Jon.

jeffreywpearson
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Context Sensitive Menus

Post by jeffreywpearson » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:41 am

It worked great, just like you describe. Thanks very much.

I actualy played a bit when this was all mambo but this is the first time I have actually used it on a real project to base a site on it. I am very impressed so far. I look forward to using it in quite a few projects now.

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 BETA 2”