Who is using Joomla! 1.5 live on their "Production Site"?

Please see sticky inside.
aimforgrowth
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Who is using Joomla! 1.5 live on their "Production Site"?

Post by aimforgrowth » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:52 pm

I have been curious for some time now who is actually using Joomla! 1.5 (nightly builds), on their site right now.  I am so well aware of the warnings, (they are only on virtually every post!), and one can't say that they have not been forewarned.  However, is anyone using 1.5 (nightly builds) on their "production" site right now?  In my book, a "production site" could mean your personal website, a church website, or  even a business website.

If you are going "live" with 1.5, could you please provide a link to it and tell us what challenges, difficulties, and / or bugs you have found, but more importantly what your end-users have reported?  What limitations have you experienced?  Any regrets?  If so, please share them with us.

Finally, do I assume correctly that if one were to install the 1.5 nightly build, that they could easily upload (overwrite files and directories), with the RC1 when it comes out?

Thanks for your input.

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Who is using Joomla! 1.5 live on their "Production Site"?

Post by Lottario » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:29 pm

I'm using 1.5 on a site thats not quite live yet (developing it offline, then just moving it), but hopefully will be in about a week.  I personally haven't had too many difficult problems with it.  I've discoverd some bugs along the way (not major) and thus have actually been able to help out (in a very small way) in getting Joomla! 1.5 ready for an RC.  The biggest issue I've had is the lack of compatable extensions (I'd really, really like a drop down menu) but you can work around that for the most part.  The only other problem I've had is the much smaller help community with 1.5 (absolutely no offense meant to leadict {or anyone else on these boards for that matter}, who's been amazing with helping me.  I just see people with 1.0.12 get answers in 10 seconds, whereas we 1.5ers have to wait a few hours), but for the most part its not a big deal, things get solved eventually (when they're solvable and its not just me being an idiot).

In hindsight, yeah, it probably was a better idea to go with the stable version, but I could never go to 1.0.12 after using 1.5.  And plus, betas are just ever so much more fun.

And with all the warnings, you'd expect 1.5 to be full of bugs and errors and barely work at all and be ready to crash at any moment, but really, it seems fairly stable and usable to me.

aimforgrowth
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aimforgrowth » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:35 pm

Thank you very much.  I was beginning to think with all of the "views" to this topic, with no response, that people were afraid to admit that they are already using 1.5!

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:44 pm

No problem :)

One thing I should add (now that I've gone and done something stupid), always, always, ALWAYS take backups before upgrading.  I just did an upgrade to fix a bug, and now the template that I made isn't working, so its something I have to figure out how to fix (and something for everyone to be careful with).

paulhosking
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by paulhosking » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:48 pm

http://209.59.181.51/~print/

How else do you learn the new stuff?

I'm using 1.5  because this seemed like a pretty simple site. (it is)

But I'm still finding that I need some of those great modules/components that I know and love. Really need docman and mod_dn.

It reminds me of Mambo 4.0 ish, or is it that I know so little about the way it works that I'm reminded of how I felt when I first started working with the CMS of choice.

Paul

joatmon
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by joatmon » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:49 pm

I have installed on one of my production servers, and try to keep it updated with the latest nightly builds.  A couple of months ago, the site got hacked, but I also had an older version of wordpress on the same server that also got hacked at the same time, so it could have easily been the wordpress install that was the culprit.  That being said, I'm not overly concerned with getting hacked, since I just house a personal blog and the joomla 1.5 test site (although my host may say otherwise ;) ) and haven't had a problem since upgrading to the latest version of wordpress.

Indeman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Indeman » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:25 pm

I have downloadedJoomla! installed on my hosting space uninstalled, tried other systems like Drupal, Tikiwiki, PHPwiki, PHPwebsite and several others for the past 20 days. I have  another 7 days to finally settle on one CMS. Now I am attempting a risky task. I have installed the nightly build of 19 July and attempting to actually build the site. If I start within the next 10 minutes and work non stop for 10 hours , facing the bugs and learning joomla in the process, I want to see how easy it is to complete a working site for a beginner with limited education( in computers as well as academic)  of any kind. I will spend the 11th hour documenting the problems and the experience. If anything worth while happens or doesnt happen, I will post the results here if I may.

Geoff
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Geoff » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:56 pm

To use it on a production site would mean that you would have to update it daily with the nightly releases.
Too much work for a complex production site, especially after you make lots of custom modifications and things.
Backup, backup, backup!
The "Master" .htacess file by Nicholas http://snipt.net/nikosdion/the-master-htaccess

svenl
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by svenl » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:34 pm

I started a new webpage this month and decided to use 1.5 from the beginning when building the site so I don't have to migrate it later in the autumn when the building of it is finished.

The only problem I have so far is that all components I want to use is not possible to install in 1.5
I'm now going to change to RC1 from the beta2 now.

This homepage is not "official" yet, but it's possible to reach it via http://www.glassrecept.se/index.php
(if you don't use index.php you get to an static html-page saying it will open later).

8)
-
Sanningen finns där ute, har du sökt efter ditt svar?
var svaret bra och löste ditt problem? Glöm då inte att ändra ditt första inlägg till löst (Solved)

StarShaper
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by StarShaper » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:19 pm

svenl wrote: This homepage is not "official" yet, but it's possible to reach it via http://www.glassrecept.se/index.php
Hello,

one short question. How did you do that menus? This is some sort of javascript. The id is ja-transmenu. But how can I implement a javascript menu into the navigation buttons? I would like to integrate a Hiermenu (http://www.hiermenuscentral.com/) into Joomla. How can I do that?  ???
Last edited by StarShaper on Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 BETA 2”