Lesson learned

Please see sticky inside.
aimforgrowth
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Lesson learned

Post by aimforgrowth » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:41 am

I'm the kind of guy that loves getting the cutting edge software and using it . . .

. . . but I am forced to go back to 1.0.12.

You see, even though I have read literally everywhere that 1.5 (even nightly builds) are not production worthy . . . . . well, . . . let's just say that the kid in me got the better of me.  Who can resist!?

So, I spent several hours structurally organizing the site to meet my needs.  But I ran into a few show-stoppers. 

First, the User5 module does not exist, even on the Demo template [NOTE that these comments are based on the Nightly Build of July 20th, 2007).  Secondly, In creating links, it inexplicitly linked to a "404 page can not be found page", when it felt like it. Obviously a show-stopper.

Why am I writing this?  Because if you are at all thinking of using a Nightly Build for a "live" site . . . just wait.  I know, I know . . . I went against sound advise as well. . . . but look where I am now . . doing it all over in 1.0.12.

Take the advise of these guys who have been around forever developing this. . . . at least wait for RC1. ;-)  :-[

hannul
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Lesson learned

Post by hannul » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:01 pm

I strongly second that, do not use 1.5 svn for nothing else than testing purposes. The warning by the developers -not to use on production sites - is not there for nothing.

But, if I may add, when RC is released, do developement to that version. I mean, instead to any other version or CMS. Use 1.5 when it is ready, its fantastic.

aimforgrowth
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aimforgrowth » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:34 pm

I agree, the user friendliness is phenomenal.  I can't believe that this is FREE!  I can see that there have been some MAJOR fine tuning done since 1.5 beta 2.  I'm just so stinkin' hungry for RC1!

aimforgrowth
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aimforgrowth » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:17 pm

Ok, here I downloaded the nightly build from July 20th, and the next day, RC1 comes out!

I'm tempted to go RC1, but I just may wait for the second week of August for RC2.  Has anybody found any bugs or show-stoppers in RC1?  On the Nightly Build of July 20th, I had the 404 error issue, which came out of the blue.  Anybody?

hannul
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hannul » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:12 am

Tracker, that is open issues, can be found here: (might require registration)
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/tracker/

aravot
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by aravot » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:13 am

Wait for RC2.

aimforgrowth
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aimforgrowth » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:25 am

aravot wrote: Wait for RC2.
Why do you say that?

aravot
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by aravot » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:16 pm

I believe there are lots of major unfixed bugs in RC1.

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by willebil » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:21 pm

Tracker only holds 2 pages of bugs, and that is very low. And there will always be bugs in the code, but no showstoppers were around at the time we released RC1. Go use it, but if you want to wait for RC2, fine also (but you miss all the fun then :P )

hannul
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hannul » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:24 pm

There has been tendency to find more bugs as developers start to use some software.

I second aravot, I believe for those people that are asking "should I wait" the best answer is that yes, "wait 'till Release".

So, do not wait RC2, wait Release.

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by willebil » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:38 pm

RC1 can be used (and is used) on production sites...that's all I can say on this, if you prefer to wait, also fine (and come help out  solving all those bugs you believe there are  :pop )

aravot
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by aravot » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:48 pm

In my opinion the ones that are high or medium high should have been fixed for RC1 specially this -> http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,191479.0.html

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by willebil » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:04 pm

Send in a patch, and we'll solve it sooner  :P

aravot
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by aravot » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:13 pm

I am not a coder, if I was we would be using 1.5 stable  :P

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:15 pm

aravot wrote: In my opinion the ones that are high or medium high should have been fixed for RC1 specially this -> http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,191479.0.html
Peter -

I must admit. I'm a bit taken back by some of your posts - not just this one. Listen - I think it's easy to get a "perfectionist view" on things - especially when you are actively working in the testing group (and, thanks very much for that  :-*.)

But, let's not forget, J! v 1.5 isn't done. But, it's very, very good! I've been building three sites in it and I am not having many problems. (In fact one problem I am having no one else seems to be able to reproduce - I feel so alone!  :'( ).  I'm not going live, yet, and I've seen vast improvements in the quality and stability of v 1.5 in the past several weeks.

Now, project that progress forward a month and I see good things.

I'm going for it with v 1.5 and I am not worried one bit. Having said that, I think people who can't be a little flexible and understanding and optimistic and hopeful should stay back. This is not perfect.

Thanks for having a good and critical eye on our testing, Peter. You probably should be a bit "negative" - you are supposed to find bugs and insist they get fixed. I'm benefiting from your work, as well.

Life is good in the open source end user community, folks.
Amy :)

aravot
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by aravot » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:27 pm

AmyStephen wrote: Peter -

I must admit. I'm a bit taken back by some of your posts - not just this one.
Which ones?

As for this one, didn't you notice the smiley (to me use of smiley means kidding not serious), the link I posted above is considered high cause if login module is published anywhere other than left column below main module position it generates error, now almost most people place login module in different positions.

Thanks You for your other encouraging comment.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:30 pm

No problem! Thanks very very much for your efforts!

Amy :)

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 BETA 2”