Submit content by email

Discuss the development and implementation of Joomla! bots/Plugins here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
pwheat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Submit content by email

Post by pwheat » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:58 pm

Even with the ease-of-use of Joomla, some folks just won't (or can't) use it for some reason.
Laziness probably the most common factor here.

I am looking for a bot that will:

-- poll a POP3 mailbox (i.e. [email protected])
-- read incoming mail
-- validate that the user is from an "allowed" source like must be from @yourdomain.com or email must be registered.
-- stick the first XXX characters of the Subject in the Article Title field of the article
-- stick the entire Subject field in the Intro Text field of the article
-- stick the email body in the Main Text field of the article

-- Content Section and Category would need to be managed
-- Make sure the article is unpublished

I've searched extensions. and the forum. Any ideas?

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Submit content by email

Post by dhuelsmann » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 pm

A little dated and perhaps doesn't met all of your needs, but you could always add to it:
http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/
Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

thenthornthing
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by thenthornthing » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi,
I'm looking for the exact same thing as the original poster.

Unfortuantely the link for the extension is dead. Could anyone tell me what the extension is called so I can search, provide a link for me or assist me in any other way.

Cheers,
Nathan

grwestby
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by grwestby » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:43 pm

I am also looking for this.

Shiva-Shakti
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Shiva-Shakti » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:41 pm

Me too, the thing is "how to set" a POP3 mailbox to be controled by an extension? my intension is to be able to publish articles from far far away, I am going to travel and some locations anly allow to use a simple mail website.... any idea?

theregularguy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by theregularguy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:48 pm

Try this http://www.powermail4joomla.com/ !!
Stan really did a good job.
The Regular Guy.

grwestby
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by grwestby » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:07 pm

Thank you for the reply but I found a free component that works perfectly, MMS Blog http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... logging/38. This component needs significant configuration but once you jump into the site-forum configuration is clear. I have not experimented much with it but it publishes my MMS, photos, texts and emails with no issues.

theregularguy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by theregularguy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:26 pm

The cool thing about power4mail is it convert the blog into content, you specified the section and category. Although I use them both, they're nice.
The Regular Guy.

grwestby
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by grwestby » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:41 pm

I was so ready to buy this component until I saw that you don't buy it you subscribe to it. On top of continual payments it requires ion-cube. Two no-goes in my mind.

The options you mention are awesome but not worth the cost.

Gerlof
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Gerlof » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:41 am

VLADIMIR_IVANOV2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by VLADIMIR_IVANOV2 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:38 pm

hey, anyone tried the MMSBlog or PowerMail components? How good are they? I'm building test site to compare them but still, it'll be good to know other opinions.

Thanks
Vladimir
http://www.serdika.com.ar - Diseño Industrial & Desarrolos Web in Buenos Aires, Argentina

VLADIMIR_IVANOV2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by VLADIMIR_IVANOV2 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:24 pm

hmmm... the MMSBlog or PowerMail components are very similar to each other, even in the graphic details.

The first on is free and the second no. Also MMSBlog is easier to configure.
http://www.serdika.com.ar - Diseño Industrial & Desarrolos Web in Buenos Aires, Argentina

spletcher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by spletcher » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:28 am

I was in the same boat as the original poster of this stream, looking for exactly the same things. (this was also a year ago) I only found MMS Blog and it didn't meet my needs totally.

My community website is of physicians who won't login and post articles or comments so I needed a component that would accept their emails and publish them to Joomla content (MMS Blog used it's own special sections) to allow easier access to their information. These days - everyone emails!!

I also wanted a component that would accept html content from email clients and post pictures and attachments. I wanted one that would check to make sure someone was a verified emailer or Joomla user, that would distinguish enough to publish only those that were trusted or no-one as the administrator chose.

I wanted the ability to specify where the intro and main content were divided and one that chose the subject of the email as the title of the article. I wanted to have the option of having special tags within the email that would specify publish dates, author information, access information, frontpage publishing. I wanted the ability to direct any email to specific categories or sections using tags. I also wanted admin notice when content was sent or published.

I also wanted the ability to send SMS and MMS messages with photos from a cellphone.

Essentially I wanted a component that could be used by untrained general public noncomputer folks and also that had the ability to allow "trained" users a higher level of use.

No component brought all of this together, although I was inspired by MMS Blog, Mambo By Mail (ContentByMail) that each had some of these things. Neither was actively being developed unfortunately. I contacted the developers and didn't find interest in further development.

Thus a year ago I started developing PowerMail 4 Joomla, using part of the MMS Blog platform but enhancing the component with the above qualities. The end result was a major re-writing of the code. After a year of developing it, I am releasing it. It is currently under review by the JED. I have been working with beta testers since around September of 2009 and have tweaked the code significantly.

We have a free version of PowerMail which has the basic features. The Pro version is available commerically.

Stan

razor7
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by razor7 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:37 pm

Hi Stan...where can i download the free version?

Thanks a lot!
Visit http://www.mgscreativa.com

Take a look at our downloads section for VirtueMart payment plugins and mouch more! http://www.mgscreativa.com/contenidos/i ... Itemid=214

Shiva-Shakti
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Shiva-Shakti » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:59 am

PowerMail is not FREE, and MMS Blog has being closed....

tekno_boy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tekno_boy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:13 pm

This thread needs a bump. It's 2011 (almost 2012) and I can't find anywhere where I can get a plugin which will auto add an email as an article.

The plugin MMS no longer exists and Powermail is not free. It has a free trail period of only two weeks before you have to pay, and you have to pay every year, that ruined it for me.

I'm not against supporting software, but the pro version a $49 per domain is too expensive for me. Note: I am not a developer, just a hobyist.

So what other options are there? any ideas?

aidancoughlan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aidancoughlan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:10 pm

I know this is an old thread, but its received a bump recently....

I've also been looking for some simple solution to allow non-technical users to add articles on Joomla. Every "content submitter" I've tried to coax into submitting articles into Joomla has given up - it's not easy if you're a casual user, and a pain-in-the-ass even if you're not.

I've not looked at the options listed here yet, but FYI .... I've found:
(a) "Article Factory Manager" - a front-end content submission system which allows users to submit content from the front end. It works well, but it uses standard Joomla editors, and the Image insertion in JCE and JCK leaves a lot to be desired IMHO. I've asked both developers to see if they will improve it, but not seen a result yet. This would be a good solution if the editors handled images better.
(c) "EasyBlog" - does not (by default) add content in Joomla articles (it's primarily a blog component, and stores content in its own format). It does have a front-end content submission system though, and I believe has a free plugin to convert blog posts to articles (though they dont seem keen on encouraging this). It *did* have a good (ie. simple) media upload interface until a couple of months ago when the revamped and "improved" it, now it's as bad as the others as far as I can see.

This is the single biggest issue I have on the site I maintain, and I can't imagine that its any different for others.
Why is there no good solution from Joomla or the Editor providers ?

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:21 pm

This is what you are looking for:

Post by Email:

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... 9ibG9nIjt9

Have fun and Happy New Year!

Aaron

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:50 pm

I just came back to see if you responded to my post. I hope it doesn't seem like a *plug* for that component. I just found this as I was looking for the exact same thing, but in the opposite direction.

I'm going to see if I can whip something up that does this. Create an article in Joomla which triggers an e-mail to be sent to wordpress/[URL banned]. I am very surprised this out not out there. There is only a plugin that uses Google's API for blogger.

I confirmed that even the basic version of PowerMail is not FREE and the one I listed isn't free either. Up-to-you !!! ;-)

Happy New Year!!!

Tokenring

thetshirtmanuk
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by thetshirtmanuk » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Can anyone help me please looking for a microblogging component for joomla 2.5, Please help?

Return to “Plugins/Mambots”