Convert module in plugin

Discuss the development and implementation of Joomla! bots/Plugins here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
nesclan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Convert module in plugin

Post by nesclan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:57 pm

Hi,

Maybe a stupid question; but is it possible to convert a module in a plugin?

This because I want to display specific categories from Docman in my product pages.
(to show for example related manuals)

I've found a module that can do this like I want;
http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

With this module I can specify what category (or multiple categories if I want) I want to display in the module.

I've tried to insert this into the content with the "Load Module Positions" and this works fine.
However (afaik) I would need to create/duplicate a lot of the modules for every product page and or for every category I want to display.

Therefore I would like to have this in a plugin. (so I can define in the syntax the category(s) to show)

Is something like this possible?

-Daniel

jratunh21
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Convert module in plugin

Post by jratunh21 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:31 pm

Im so confused.. But did you check out all the add-ons for DocMan???

nesclan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nesclan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi,

Yep. But they are all modules as far as I know, and not actually plugins.

I can imagine the confusion. :)

Let me try to clarify...

I have in Docman a category called "manuals".
Inside "manuals" I created a subcategory called "Product A". (there I saved all the manuals related to product A)

Now I have inside my joomla site, a page with product information about "Product A". (prices, pictures etc.).
On this page I also want to show the manuals that are inside Docman for this product.
I can do it the old fashion way, and create links to the documents.
But because this is static, very time consuming and every update I need to change the pages, I am searching for a faster way to present it.
So I looked for a plugin/mambot that I can insert, and specify the category that needs to be listed, but I was unable to find this for docman.

So I tried different approaches, and the one that comes closest, is the module I mentioned in my previous post.
And instead of loading the module in the left or right menu bar, I am loading it inside the content (with the load mos position) (see http://help.joomla.org/content/view/186/222/ for more info). This looks really good. However, the module is just adjustable for 1 product. So in order to make it functional for all products (about 100) I would need to duplicate this module to be able to make them specific for that product.
My approach of course would rather be that I only need to insert the syntax {docmantable}manuals/productA/{/docmantable}

So my question is if a module is so much different than a mambot, or can I re-use the code from the module for the plugin?

I hope it is a little clearer now. :)

(Ps, unfortunately I can't show the page because it is an intranet page).

ShapesGSFJ
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ShapesGSFJ » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:55 pm

Hello,
I see this is an old thread, but I can't find any solution for this...

I have a Joomla Module that I have to convert to plugin.

Have you managed to do this ?

Hoping for answers,
Bets regards,
David aka Shapes

bengisoz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bengisoz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:56 pm

i dont know about the converting from plugin to module or vise verse but as a module u can name the modules position to Product A and then call it to product page article {loadposition Product A}

Return to “Plugins/Mambots”