Articles directly in template

Discuss the development and implementation of Joomla! 1.0.x templates here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Yawgmoth87
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Articles directly in template

Post by Yawgmoth87 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:10 am

Hello,

I recently acquired 'custody' over a cafeteria website were I work. The website was build around 2008 on Joomla 1.0.9 and the template was custom designed for the cafeteria.
I'm only really familiar with Joomla 1.5, though not so much has changed that I cannot work with 1.0.
The creator of the template built a menu bar into the template (so not using the topmenu module) and referred to the articles directly in the template. But since a few months the articles are no longer displayed. I have checked the template and the links appear to be right (as they should be, because no one has changed them) and the articles are also present under 'Static Content Manager'.
When you click the links in the website, the correct path appears in the address-bar, but the article is simply not displayed and the screen stays empty.
Can this be due to newer browser versions (I have tried the website on Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, they all give the same problem)? Or can it be something else?

I will insert the lines from the index.php file where the respective articles are called:

<map name="vuurtoren_04_Map">
<area shape="rect" alt="Contact" coords="275,0,365,29" href="index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4" target="_self">
<area shape="rect" alt="Cafe" coords="200,0,266,29" href="index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3" target="_self">
<area shape="rect" alt="Gerechten" coords="89,0,186,29" href="index.php?option=com_garyscookbook&Itemid=3">
<area shape="rect" alt="Home" coords="12,0,80,29" href="index.php" target="_self">

Only the module 'Garyscookbook' works. Does anybody have a clue how to repair this problem? Because the site is regularly visited and complaints have been posted in the guestbook that they cannot find the contact information.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

p.s. a link to the website: www.eetcafedevuurtoren.nl
Here you see that the menu on the left works fine, but the 'topmenu' is 'broken'.

beededea
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Articles directly in template

Post by beededea » Wed May 25, 2011 9:18 am

Backup the site, rebuild it on a joomla host as a 'dev' area.

Find out which template it uses, reinstall the unscrewed-up template and this time configure it to do it 'properly', add patches to to get the site up to 1.0.15. Done.

Alternatively think about migrating - difficult time to do this as Joomla 1.5 will have everthing you need but is being replaced by 1.6... My penn'orth - fix it on 1.0.15, wait until 1.6 is stable and supported by 3rd party components before you even think of migrating.
Yereverluvinunclebert
Steampunk widgets. Platforms of choice: Joomla 1.0/1.5, Joostina 1.2, OSCommerce
Site aims: Optimisation, Security and Solidity
http://widgets.yahoo.com/widgets/steamp ... k-calendar

Yawgmoth87
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Yawgmoth87 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:35 am

Thank you very much, I was already thinking of this:
- copy the current website to my localhost (WAMP)
- update the localhost version to 1.5 (or maybe 1.6)
- once this site is up and running completly on the localhost as it should, migrate it back to the server.

The problem with this however is that I need access to the server (ftp password), but my predecessor has either lost this, or is just givin me a hard time, because he doesn't want to see his site changed.....
So I was looking for a (temporary) solution that I could implement directly into Joomla (of which I do have the username and password)

I've already found the cause of the problem, which simply is that Joomla 1.0 simply does not support PHP 5.3....

But as soon as I have the required information I will follow your advice!
In the mean time, if you know of a Joomla fix for the time being....? that would be awesome.
Thank you very much for you help!

beededea
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by beededea » Wed May 25, 2011 12:16 pm

Move your 1.0 site to a proper joomla host that supports previous versions of PHP, don't be driven by your host to spend money on a migration when it is not necessary. If you can take a backup of the site, install Xcloner to do that, then you can take the site and build it elsewhere, problem solved.
Yereverluvinunclebert
Steampunk widgets. Platforms of choice: Joomla 1.0/1.5, Joostina 1.2, OSCommerce
Site aims: Optimisation, Security and Solidity
http://widgets.yahoo.com/widgets/steamp ... k-calendar

Return to “Templates & CSS - 1.0.x”