Should my efforts be proprietary?

*IF* you want to share your opinion on the GPL issue, this is the place for you.
rliskey
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Should my efforts be proprietary?

Post by rliskey » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:57 pm

I've been reading with interest how so many are happily making a living with proprietary Joomla! extensions. It got me thinking...

I put in 10-40 hours a week on the Joomla! forums, answering questions, developing FAQs, removing spam and script kiddie egoboo, etc. A big part of my work is keeping track of vulnerable third party extensions (both proprietary and GNU/GPL).

I've been doing this pretty much non-stop for about two years. I felt fine about my little contribution to the community because I knew there were hundreds of others dedicating their own time and resources to our community. Those who came before me answered my newbie questions with patience and good humor. I've been trying to do the same for those who are following me. Seemed like the best way to help build a stronger community and more knowledgeable user base.

It seems I've been naively doing customer support for proprietary developers! My time is billed at $100/hour. I estimate the percentage of time spent supporting proprietary extensions at $200,000.

I suppose I was foolish to give away my time like this. Rather than freely contributing to the community, perhaps I should have invested my time in developing proprietary services to make a tidy living on the backs of those who develop and support Joomla for free? Wouldn't anything less be simply stupid?

EDIT: BTW: I hope it's obvious that this is tongue in cheek. I know that many others, including 3PD, donate massive amounts of time.

Also, please be aware of the important distinction between 'proprietary' and 'commercial'. The GNU/GPL does NOT stop commercial work. It only prevents people from privatizing/controlling the code! Just one example of a great, commercial, GPL extension is CommunityBuilder.
Last edited by rliskey on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChuckTrukk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

re: Should my efforts be proprietary?

Post by ChuckTrukk » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:36 pm

by: rliskey
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,185581.0.html

I've been reading with interest how so many are happily making a living with proprietary Joomla! extensions. It got me thinking...

I put in 10-40 hours a week on the Joomla! forums, answering questions, developing FAQs, removing spam and script kiddie egoboo, etc. A big part of my work is keeping track of vulnerable third party extensions (both proprietary and GNU/GPL).

I've been doing this pretty much non-stop for about two years. I felt fine about my little contribution to the community because I knew there were hundreds of others dedicating their own time and resources to our community. Those who came before me answered my newbie questions with patience and good humor. I've been trying to do the same for those who are following me. Seemed like the best way to help build a stronger community and more knowledgeable user base.

It seems I've been naively doing customer support for proprietary developers! My time is billed at $100/hour. I estimate the percentage of time spent supporting proprietary extensions at $200,000.

I suppose I was foolish to give away my time like this. Rather than freely contributing to the community, perhaps I should have invested my time in developing proprietary services to make a tidy living on the backs of those who develop and support Joomla for free? Wouldn't anything less be simply stupid?
Many 3PD's also give away their time freely to the project.

Vimes - has post count of 1,208 (1.782 per day). Was also in working group
Predator - was in working group
Saka - was in working group
PhilTaylor - was one of the original core devs and develops some free apps/bug fixes
Beat - develops Community Builder and submitted SQL optimizations
http://www.nashville-webdesign.com - Nashville Web Design

Return to “GPL Discussion”