Plugin-FAQ GPL

*IF* you want to share your opinion on the GPL issue, this is the place for you.
joachski
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Plugin-FAQ GPL

Post by joachski » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:16 pm

One further question (although it doesn't really concern me anymore than frightening me that valuable components and modules could not be further developed):
If I read the plugin section of

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLPluginsInNF
If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function calls to each other and share data structures, we believe they form a single program, which must be treated as an extension of both the main program and the plug-ins.
it seems to me that it is really important that the main program (ie Joomla!) and the plugin (component) share function calls and data structures.
But most of the time Joomla! just require_once s the code of the component w/o knowing its structure, so it will surely not call specific functions, neither will it know about the component's data structure.
Isn't that just like in OS (like Linux) where any program can use the api of various functions and not the other way round?

[I admit that with the MVC-redesign the J!-framework actually does call specific functions inside the component a lot - such as display as the default task]

Return to “GPL Discussion”