Want to make some MONEY? Check out the Open Source Software Market!

*IF* you want to share your opinion on the GPL issue, this is the place for you.
AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Want to make some MONEY? Check out the Open Source Software Market!

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:36 pm

On June 4th of this year, Infoworld reported:
The IDC announced estimates that revenue from standalone open source software will reach $5.8 billion by 2011. In other words, according to Matt Lawton, program director of IDC's Open Source Software Business Models research program, the market is still immature ($1.8 billion in 2006) - and will see accelerated growth over the next five years.
+++++

Don't be surprised to see IDC revise its figures upward by this time next year.

John Roberts, CEO, SugarCRM

+++++

The advantages of open source development and distribution methodologies are transcending the initial 'low cost' discussions and actually delivering features and functionality beyond what's available from proprietary vendors.

Dave Rosenberg, CEO, MuleSource

+++++

Top tier analysts seem to agree that the stars are aligning for open source - not only from an adoption and revenue perspective - but as a serious threat to legacy proprietary players.

Ranga Rangachari, CEO, GroundWork Open Source

+++++

The biggest 'sea change' driving the new market growth that IDC forecasts is the mainstreaming of OSS products in the mind of customers. To them, it's all just software after all, and buying decisions are made simply on product functionality (esp. ease of use), price, and the likelihood of quality support going forward.

Bob Walters, CEO, Untangle

+++++

The IDC numbers are a nice proof point for what we've been seeing around the globe and support what we're experiencing with our own business - an increase in adoption in both the Alfresco community and with subscription customers that has resulted in a 300% increase in revenues.

John Powell, CEO, Alfresco

+++++

DC's latest research tells us that Linux and open source software will continue to outpace proprietary alternatives.

Jim Zemlin, Executive Director, The Linux Foundation

+++++

The IDC numbers reaffirm for us something we all know - open source software is growing because it solves real problems for customers. 

Dominic Sartorio, President, Open Solutions Alliance

+++++

The IDC report shows what our customers have been telling us - the horse is out of the barn for open source software.

Steve Grandchamp, CEO, OpenLogic

+++++

I expect that the IDC predictions will be widely surpassed, as open source moves beyond early adopters to mainstream users looking for openness and value.

Fabrizio Capobianco, CEO, Funambol

+++++

We know that successful open source projects, like JasperServer and JasperReports, are seeing enormous traction in the market and are multiplying their revenues each quarter.

Paul Doscher, CEO, Jaspersoft

+++++

The IDC numbers reflect a realization by the market that open source software is addressing the long-running frustrations customers have with proprietary software.

Gerald Labie, CEO, Open-Xchange

+++++

Open source software usage is harder to measure but is having a dramatic impact on small- to medium-sized businesses, both for management that assesses and buys software and for end-users taking advantage of browser-based app use and development.

Tad Gordon, CEO, Lumen Software

+++++

For those of you who believe these examples do not relate to your proprietary software, you are probably right.  :(

But, for those of you who are ready to check out this market space and figure out a workable business plan that cashes in on the long tail of open source software usage, things are looking good. You might want to thank the Joomla! copyright holders since this open source market is predicted to have significant growth potential. I hope for you the kind of success predicted by these CEOs.  8)

+++++

All together, as a whole,
Amy :)

PS - I wouldn't wait around for someone else to explain how to cash in on this opportunity. Those who think they might have it figured out are probably busy! ;)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Want to make some MONEY? Check out the Open Source Software Market!

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:53 am

Also, to add another market resource ... David Wheeler updated his classic paper Why Open Source Software / Free Software (OSS/FS, FLOSS, or FOSS)? Look at the Numbers! in early April of this year. It is also a very optimistic look at the free / open source market, both in terms of growing implementations and futures.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Want to make some MONEY? Check out the Open Source Software Market!

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:14 am

Eeek!  In my excitement when I stumbled on the very positive InfoWorld article I quoted above, I failed to recognize the significance of Sugar in that list. And, I have been properly called on this error!  My apologies. :-[

Sugar is NOT using an OSI-approved license. SugarCRM is NOT an open source CRM.

In fact, this very point was the topic of a highly charged discussion in the Open Source Institute and Slashdot worlds very recently. In fact, it struck me how very much this discussion paralleled what has been happening on a smaller scale here in Joomla!. OSI has been lax. Now, they recognize this mistake and hope to enforce the term.

Micheal Tiemann, OSI president promised to take a stand for open source and be much more diligent guarding against companies who claim to be open source companies, but really are selling proprietary software.
But just because a CEO thinks his company will be more successful by promoting proprietary software as open source doesn't teach anything about the true value of open source. Hey--if people want to try something that's not open source, great! But let them call it something else, as Microsoft has done with Shared Source. We should never put the customer in a position where they cannot trust the term open source to mean anything because some company and their investors would rather make a quick buck than an honest one, or because they believe more strongly in their own story than the story we've been creating together for the past twenty years. We are better than that. We have been successful over the past twenty years because we have been better than that. We have built a well-deserved reputation, and we shouldn't allow others to trade the reputation we earned for a few pieces of silver.
The pushback has been gruesome. Change is difficult. Sometimes, trying to do the "right thing" tests one's will and integrity and character.

If you go to my blog (in my signature), you can read more about this in my blog "Micheal Tiemann: Protecting the Open Source Definition."

Good catch, thanks!  8)
Amy :)

Return to “GPL Discussion”