Rewording the FAQ could help

*IF* you want to share your opinion on the GPL issue, this is the place for you.
jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Rewording the FAQ could help

Post by jlleblanc » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:13 am

I'm breaking my relative silence on this GPL debate to offer what I think would help move the discussion along towards solutions. A lot of though was no doubt put into the FAQ that was released along with the June 15th announcement. However, the statement of opinion on the legal status of extensions may be a little too far reaching. A way to reword the FAQ that would still get the necessary points across could read like this:
Q: What licenses may I use to license my extensions?

A: All extensions released under GPLv2 and GPLv2-compatible licenses are definitely welcome. If you desire to release portions of your extension under a license that is not GPLv2 compatible, seek legal advice from an attorney to determine if they are "separate works."
This addresses these concerns:

* It encourages GPLv2 compatible extensions.
* It frees the team from legal liability of the actions of 3PDs.
* It allows for the possibility of extensions containing separate proprietary works, while putting the legal responsibility of ensuring the separateness on the 3PDs.

This rewording would end the endorsement of all extensions regardless of license (something the Joomla! team has done, and should still do), while allowing for the possibility that there may be portions of extensions that are separate works and not subject to the GPL. The responsibility would shift solely to the 3PDs and their legal counsel.

As for the extensions directory, a new option could be created for listings that would state that portions of the software are separate works and that legal advice has been sought. When a developer selects this option, a disclaimer would appear on the listing stating that the listing does not imply endorsement from Joomla! and is for informational purposes only.

Full disclosure here: I provide programming services for clients and help them launch Joomla!-based websites. I've also recently written a book on programming for 1.5 which many of you have bought (thank you!). I have not released proprietary extensions, but have released several open-source, non-commercial ones. My interest in all of this is seeing the community move forward so we can all get back to building it up.

PS: Special mention goes to the forum moderators for all of the hard work they've put in over the last few months. This situation is definitely not what you signed up for and you've handled it well. Thank you!
Joseph L. LeBlanc: http://www.jlleblanc.com
Frontend components start here: /components/com_[name]/[name].php
Backend components start here: /administrator/components/com_[name]/admin.[name].php

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Rewording the FAQ could help

Post by brad » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:18 am

Thanks for the suggestion, I will ensure the rest of the Team sees it so it can be considered as an option.
PS: Special mention goes to the forum moderators for all of the hard work they've put in over the last few months. This situation is definitely not what you signed up for and you've handled it well. Thank you!
You made my day, the amount of time that we are using up moderating these days is burning some of us out.. it really is sad, but comments like this do help. Thanks again.

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Rewording the FAQ could help

Post by Asphyx » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:50 pm

Just want to say I think you have a great suggestion there JLL...

Return to “GPL Discussion”