Probable date for Joomla 1.5?

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
dvm
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Probable date for Joomla 1.5?

Post by dvm » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:07 pm

Hi, I'm thinking about developing my personal site in Joomla. I want to wait for Joomla 1.5 for the internationalization features it has. I'd like to build my site in greek (main language) and english. Should I wait for it? I only want a probable date, I won't hold my breath on it. If I decide to build my site with the current joomla release can I use utf-8? And later on port it to 1.5?

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Probable date for Joomla 1.5?

Post by Lottario » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:57 pm

I've heard of tools being developed to allow you to port from 1.0 to 1.5, but I wouldn't count on those working 100% (no offense to whoevers developing them).

Personally, I've started developing my site in 1.5, even though we're not supposed  to, and I haven't run into too many problems (besides the lack of compatability of extensions).

As for a release date, when I was making my decision on what to build in, I read something about the developers having around 10 bugs that they need to have fixed before putting out a release copy (sorry, I don't have a link to the article, this was a couple weeks ago), and thats what I based my decision on.  Although, how long it'll take them to fix the bugs they want fixed, who knows.

Peter Clements
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Peter Clements » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:09 pm

Again, perhaps not very useful to your decision but as far as I'm aware there isn't (and never has been) a release date, not even an official indication of a 'ball park' figure.

I'm holding up porting a static site to Joomla! for the release of 1.5 (that has been in desperate need of a face lift for some time now).

I've had a play with Beta 2 and been thoroughly impressed with what I've seen, massive improvements in all areas, not least its native SEF URLs support, proper nested UL menus and ability to customise the core output with your own valid/SEF code.

Jinx
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jinx » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:08 pm

Well, hehe it will be ready when it's ready, we are closing in though :)
Johan Janssens - Joomla Co-Founder, Lead Developer of Joomla 1.5

http://www.joomlatools.com - Joomla extensions that just work

hannul
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hannul » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:03 am

In my experience one should not build to J1.5 because it will be constant upgrading task. Api keeps on changing. F.ex. Modules built last week do not work anymore.

As total outsider, I would estimate that RC is out about two-three months from now. My estimation is based on everyday testing on J1.5 since last year, reading tracker items, developing on 1.5 (not recommended - but I try to port oscommerce alpha4 to J1.5) and reading this phorum and comparing bug reports to speed they are being fixed. Also there are new bugs emerging all the time and new are created when developing continues.

Unfortunately JRoute that was late addon has been problematic, but Jinx has been fixing and developing it, and it is a "must be" in J1.5.
Also javascript based media uploadings have been a paint in core developers asses.

So many issues have been fixed, that package seems to me be in good order, has excellent design, and is going to be number one CMS when it is released and learning curve on developers has been accomplished. That is another point. people are asking when RC or release comes out. I myself place the question otherwice: when J1.5 has been learned by developers and 3rd party addons start to emerge.

Robin
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Robin » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:47 am

Moderator note: moving from Development 1.5 to New J1.5 Forum Section

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”