Menu Item Alias And Default Menu Item Issue

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Menu Item Alias And Default Menu Item Issue

Post by Lottario » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:25 pm

First off, I apologize for posting so many problems I'm having (I'll learn to figure stuff out for myself eventually), but this one really has me stumped.

For awhile now, I've been using menu item aliases to trick the search results into displaying a page with the modules I wanted (otherwise, the article was just displayed with the frontpage module layout).  After upgrading to the latest nightly build, this seems to cause problems... sometimes.  The alias on on my top level menu items (my technique fails with submenus) is home/articleID.  Unfortunately, this now causes a problem.  I'd just accept this and move on, if it caused a problem with every article.  However, that is not the case.  It seems that when I click a link aliased in this way, if the article is of an ID of 52 or less, it will display with the home page modules showing.  If the ID is greater than 52, it displays with the modules that its supposed to display.  The same is true of my search results.

Could this be caused by keeping my configuration.php file and upgrading builds, or is this an issue with the nightly build?  I just find it very odd that it only happens with lower article IDs....

Thanks for any help you can offer (and yes, I know the obvious solution is to recreate my lower ID articles so that their ID's are greater than 52  ;)) :)

EDIT: Something I just noticed is that on the pages that actually load their proper modules, the link to the homepage basically becomes a refresh button (it takes on the same link URL as the page I'm currently viewing).

EDIT2: Modifying the alias of a menu item thats not working the way its supposed to will make it work properly, but will make the home button not work properly.  Also, this is only caused because the home button is the default menu item.  If its set to be non-default, it works fine.
Last edited by Lottario on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Menu Item Alias And Default Menu Item Issue

Post by leadict » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:58 pm

Take account that alias field is used for SEF purposes in Joomla! 1.5 and there are some issues with itemID to solve:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,191912.0.html
"The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think" - Edwin Schlossberg.

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:08 pm

So basically, my tricking the SEF the way I did was gonna come back to bite me in the ass eventually anyways, and it just happened sooner rather than later?

Also, this doesn't quite explain the issues with the default menu item behaving strangely (although, I've worked around that for now).  I could understand if every menu item exhibited the same behaviour, but what is it about the default menu item that would make it decide to act as a refresh button?

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:22 pm

Yes, there are some interactions between menu items to solve. Sometime ago i had done a little review of this and there were reported several related issues by another people. Maybe it can be interesting to you: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... #msg815257
"The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think" - Edwin Schlossberg.

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:37 pm

Hmmmm, that actually explains alot.  Now I understand how and why my aliasing was changing the page the search results led to, instead of just accepting that it worked cause it worked.

Thanks for the info :)

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:21 pm

Hmm... very weird (but along the same lines as this topic, so no need to start a new one), the Forgot Username, Forgot Password, and Register links on my Login module now do not work.  The URL is correct in the address bar, but it simply displays the homepage, or, if I was last on the registeration page (as I have a registration link in one of my menus), it will display the registration page no matter which of the three I click on.  I don't think this is ID related, because those links don't actually have an item ID, correct?  Or did I just miss that somewhere?
Last edited by Lottario on Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:58 pm

Yep, that is a known issue. See the following report:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,191479.0.html

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:03 pm

Hmm, well, that explains the default menu item issue (which is easy enough to work around), but doesn't mention anything about the links that are contained within the login module (I seem to be breaking everything today, don't I?).

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:53 pm

Lottario, sorry for the delay, i have tested it and added my finds in that report.

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:24 am

Don't worry about delays, you've probably got loads more stuff to do then sit around with Joomla! all day looking into issues I have that may or may not even be bugs.  I'm just grateful that you're willing to spend so much time helping me out with these things.

I also added my findings to yours (I had tested some odd cases with the login module and login pages in general, trying to find a workaround).

Robin
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Robin » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:09 am

Moderator note: moving from Development 1.5 to New J1.5 Forum Section

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”