cross indexing

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
keyser_soze
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

cross indexing

Post by keyser_soze » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:04 pm

are there plans to enable content item assignment to more than one section and category?

there are real applications for such, e.g. in news sites, research sites. although a content item does have a primary topic (that can be assigned a section or category), it also carries related secondary topics, which how i wish can be assigned additional categories too.

the metadata feature of joomla can be a possible solution if only there's an easy way to pull and display contents (in a blog list) based on a keyword or group of keywords. theoretically, i know it should be possible (and simple?), but i guess there's no real need for such yet that would result to an extension for such. i went over the related extensions, but they fall short.

what i'm using now is a dirty hack to suppress duplicate copies of content items that appear in search results. the "cross-indexing" is done by copying content items to other categories. it works, but it's "dirty" and i don't think it will work in 1.5. so i'm into another serious problem (again).

Robin
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: cross indexing

Post by Robin » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:58 am

Moderator note: moving from Development 1.5 to New J1.5 Forum Section

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”