Is It Worth Completely Recreating My Site?

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Is It Worth Completely Recreating My Site?

Post by Lottario » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:29 pm

Well, I've been working with a site that was originally built in Beta 2, then upgraded and modified with nightly builds (no clean installs, just replacing files), and upgraded again today to RC1 (again, no clean install).  Now, my question is, is it worth my time to erase everything and do a clean RC1 install, then recreate my site (I've got enough documentation to do it without many problems, its just a boring, time consuming task), or am I fine without having done any actual installation since Beta 2?

Thanks for any input :)
Last edited by Lottario on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Is It Worth Completely Recreating My Site?

Post by ianmac » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:01 pm

You shouldn't need a complete rebuild.  It would be recommended to reset your passwords though (I think I mentioned this before).

One thing you might do, however, is, if you had been working off a nightly build instead of svn, would be to remove all of your Joomla! core files and recopy the RC1.  This would get rid of any files that had been deleted that might cause security concerns if left lying around.

Ian

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:09 pm

ianmac wrote: You shouldn't need a complete rebuild.  It would be recommended to reset your passwords though (I think I mentioned this before).

One thing you might do, however, is, if you had been working off a nightly build instead of svn, would be to remove all of your Joomla! core files and recopy the RC1.  This would get rid of any files that had been deleted that might cause security concerns if left lying around.

Ian
Sorry, I meant (in my first post) that I deleted the old files before copying over the new ones.  Now that I read it over, I definitely made it sound like I just copied over them.

The passwords (well, password, only an admin account is gonna stay on there) are going to be reset just before I go live with the site, as they were none too secure to begin with (doesn't really matter when the sites locally hosted).

So there are definitely no changes to how the database is read that could cause problems in the future (it was being suggested that this might happen before RC1 was released, and I've seen some other posters mention it)?  Thats very good news, saves me the time and effort of rebuilding :)

Thanks very much for your help, and sorry if this was a kinda dumb question (I had to check, apparently I'm getting a bunch more content tomorrow, so now would definitely be the easiest time to rebuild if it were necessary) :)

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:32 am

Lottario wrote: Sorry, I meant (in my first post) that I deleted the old files before copying over the new ones.  Now that I read it over, I definitely made it sound like I just copied over them.
You should be set then.
The passwords (well, password, only an admin account is gonna stay on there) are going to be reset just before I go live with the site, as they were none too secure to begin with (doesn't really matter when the sites locally hosted).
Agreed.  But some people do very stupid things.
So there are definitely no changes to how the database is read that could cause problems in the future (it was being suggested that this might happen before RC1 was released, and I've seen some other posters mention it)?  Thats very good news, saves me the time and effort of rebuilding :)
Obviously the goal was not to change the database if possible.  But, we don't want to try and guarantee people that it won't and then have it changed.  It's all about expectation management.  I would rather have in my mind that I might need to reinstall because of database changes and not have to do than to be assured that I won't and then find out I do.
Thanks very much for your help, and sorry if this was a kinda dumb question (I had to check, apparently I'm getting a bunch more content tomorrow, so now would definitely be the easiest time to rebuild if it were necessary) :)
no worries...  not a dumb question (and I am of the mind that there IS such thing as a dumb question).

Good luck!
Ian

Robin
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Robin » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:41 am

Moderator note: moving from Development 1.5 to New J1.5 Forum Section

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”