Problem with Article and pagebreak

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.
guy_uk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Problem with Article and pagebreak

Post by guy_uk » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:41 pm

Hello,

I am running 1.5.1 and am trying to setup a multipage article and am having problems with the pagebreaks.

If I simple insert pagebreaks into the text via the editor, the article appears to show ok, but when I select next or a page from the page table, then I get nothing displayed.

However, if I insert a readmore line in as well as the pagebreaks after it, then when it first displays the article comes up with no table of contents. After I have clicked Read More, the page table appears and when I select a page, the content now displays.

I have tried different templates and see the same issue so I presume the problem is a little bit more indepth.

Can anyone cast any light on how to get the pagebreaks to work correctly without having to use a readmore ?

herb200mph
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Problem with Article and pagebreak

Post by herb200mph » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:58 pm

Conceptually, if you have a lengthy article of five paragraphs, for example, and insert four "page breaks" you should see the first article and an index to the right with links to the other four pages at the point which they are broken.

Is this what you are having trouble with? It does not generate the index, or are the index links not active when you click on them to display, for example, page three from page one? Also, does a dotted line appear within the article text area in the editor to indicate the location of the page break command?

First...go to Extensions >> Plugins => check to make sure the Content-Pagebreak plugin is ENABLED. Also, the Editor Button-Pagbreak. If not, enable them.

Then, if you examine the html side of the article page.

<hr title="Name you gave it" alt="" class="system-pagebreak" width="" />

If that code is present, the explanation for why it is not working may be related to something not correct in the default install and re-installing Joomla! 1.5x might be the only solution.
http://www.200mphMedia.net
Author: Joomla! 3: Boot Camp book @ Amazon.com

guy_uk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by guy_uk » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi,

The plugins are enabled and the button appears in the editor, the dotted line appears in the article and the following html is present

<hr title="x" alt="xx" class="system-pagebreak" />

the index appears as this: http://sidford.org/images/shot1.jpg

When you select as section you get: http://sidford.org/images/shot2.jpg

I will try reinstalling, but I can replicatte this problem with a 1.5.0 install as well, which suggests that it might not be as simple as a re-install. But I will give it a go

herb200mph
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by herb200mph » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:45 pm

Seeing the examples, my guess is that the template is being contrary.

Also, make sure that the pagebreak.php and pagebreak.xml files are in the plugins/content folder.

I'm trying to cover all the bases here.

In addition, check the template's html directory for the pagination.php file.

Then, too, the components/com_content/views/article/tmpl/...two pagebreak files.

Pant, pant, pant.

Final try...make another template the default, and see if it does/does not work with the rhuk_milkyway template. If it does, the issue is template-based.

guy_uk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by guy_uk » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi, as I mentioned in my first post I have tried different templates with no luck, but to make sure my brain isn't melting down I have just set rhuk_milkyway as default and the same problem exists.

pagebreak.php and pagebreak.xml exist in the components/com_content/views/article/tmpl/ directory

The curious thing is that if I insert a ReadMore into the article prior to the pagebreak it displays with no index until you click on read more. Then the index appears and the selecting a page in the index (other than the first one) works as expected. So the readmore is doing something which is not functioning when the article is used with only the pagebreaks.

BTW. I appreciate such prompt assistance.

herb200mph
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by herb200mph » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:07 pm

Fresh out of ideas, sorry.

One more...not using a 1.0x template in legacy mode are you?

guy_uk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by guy_uk » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:21 pm

It is a 1.5 template but legacy mode is enabled ..... investigating !

guy_uk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by guy_uk » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:39 am

Legacy mode now off, plugin which required it uninstalled .... pagebreak still not working correctly.

next step a complete removal and re-install.

guy_uk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by guy_uk » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:31 pm

All files directories removed, tables dropped, 1.5.1 installed fresh still no luck getting these page breaks to work.

herb200mph
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by herb200mph » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:35 pm

Rats! Just not sure what to do at this point. If I had some time this evening I'd help you try other "maybe's" but I'm tied up with work for a client in Malaysia.

guy_uk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by guy_uk » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:55 pm

Hi,

One thing I spotted is that when the second page displays, I do not get the Index showing.

Again if I insert a readmore into the text it all works find once the readmore is selected.

Well time to turn off the machine and head for bed for me :D Maybe the solution will come to light tomorrow :laugh:

elr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by elr » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:56 pm

I am having this same problem. Page breaks do not show up, although everything looks good in the backend. The html (of the live page -- not the backend) where the content should be (in my case, page 2) looks like this:

Code: Select all

<div class="system-unpublished">

<table class="contentpaneopen">
<tr><td class="contentheading" width="100%">
</td></tr>
</table>
</div>
So, Joomla is reading the content (that page) as being unpublished. I have been using 1.5 on another installation without this problem. This is a brand new installation with no 3rd party components or plugins (yet).

Legacy mode is not turned on.

Curious!

guy_uk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by guy_uk » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:23 pm

elr that is interesting and good to hear I am not the only one.
Last edited by guy_uk on Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guy_uk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by guy_uk » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:32 pm

elr yes, I think you have spotted the problem, I too have the

<div class="system-unpublished">

when the article is not working.

and this is not present when you use a readmore before the pagebreak and everything is functioning corrently.

elr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by elr » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:37 pm

I think my problem is with the editor.

I am using Firefox on a Mac. I turned off the editor, TinyMCE 2.0, the pre-installed one, and just added the page with HTML. With the editor off, The pagebreaks inserted and rendered fine.

However, if I remove the "read more" link, it fails, just like your symptom guy_uk.

That may be a feature not a bug. It makes sense that an article that has multiple pages would also require a "read more" link on the first page. I got around that in another Joomla site I manage (a 1.0.x installation) by linking to the full article of a multi page doc from the menu.

guy_uk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by guy_uk » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:48 pm

elr wrote:That may be a feature not a bug. It makes sense that an article that has multiple pages would also require a "read more" link on the first page. I got around that in another Joomla site I manage (a 1.0.x installation) by linking to the full article of a multi page doc from the menu.
Yes you might be right about it being a 'feature' in a Redmond sense of the word ;) but I wouldn't agree that requiring a "read more" link on the first page as being desirable.

Unless I can get this sorted I guess I will need to use a workaround such as yours.

elr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by elr » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:36 pm

guy_uk wrote:
elr wrote:That may be a feature not a bug. It makes sense that an article that has multiple pages would also require a "read more" link on the first page. I got around that in another Joomla site I manage (a 1.0.x installation) by linking to the full article of a multi page doc from the menu.
Yes you might be right about it being a 'feature' in a Redmond sense of the word ;) but I wouldn't agree that requiring a "read more" link on the first page as being desirable.

Unless I can get this sorted I guess I will need to use a workaround such as yours.
Yes, I couldn't figure out a way around it. I am reminded now, as I build this new site out, why it can be really annoying.

Nocturnaloner
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nocturnaloner » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:38 pm

I am having the same problem. Furthermore, if I create a new Article, and put a link to it in mainmenu, clicking the menu link results in a page with the header content, the article content, an 'Error loading Modules' message, and nothing else.

guy_uk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

[SOLVED] Problem with Article and pagebreak

Post by guy_uk » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:08 pm

I have now found the solution to my problem, and whilst this will not sort it out for all situations it does what I want.

Basically I have setup a Menu item which is linked to an Article Layout displaying only a single Article. When I do this the pagebreaks and index works just as advertised.

So that does it for me phew !

internetmarketingiq
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by internetmarketingiq » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:20 am

That's solved? Maybe in the way that tying a broken shoelace together with a big knot in the lace is solved. For me too many of these "solved" solutions results in a shoe that has so many knots in it I can no longer lace it up. Anyone else?
InternetMarketingIQ.com - Powered by Joomla 1.5 :: Template: "Jamba" from JoomlaShack

guy_uk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by guy_uk » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:49 am

The Solved is that MY problem is solved, I no longer have to battle with Joomla to get this to work, I have found a perfectly acceptable way of using the feature that gets round the udnerlying problem.

The way I am using it does not mean that I am trying a bigger knot, I have found a different way of tying the knot which works perfectly well.

The underlying problem with that approach to tying the knot, I agree is not solved, but my problem has been solved by a different approach.

dardarlt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dardarlt » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:08 pm

Of course, this is a Joomla bug. It's because of plugin pagebreak.php about LINE 196:

$link = JRoute::_( '&showall=&limitstart='. ($i-1) );
IT'S WRONG! Because it will genereate wrong links in categories with blog layout (like index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=32&Itemid=41)

QUICK DIRTY FIX:
Replace this line with:

$link = JRoute::_( 'index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=' . $row->slug . '&catid=' . $row->catslug . '&limitstart='. ($i-1) );
Always ready to answer and... to ask.
My joomla site: zaidimai

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”