can't change permissions via ftp

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
teros0805
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

can't change permissions via ftp

Post by teros0805 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:25 am

i've seen where others have had this problem before but i can't seem to find a simple answer.

whenever i install anything via the joomla install function (modules, plugins, components, themes) i CANT change permissions on files that subsequently need editing.

if i manually upload them via ftp the NO PROBLEM.

i gather that maybe when i install via joomla that the "owner" of the created folders/files etc. is being set to "nobody" ?

now, i wouldnt really care too much - i'd just upload everything via ftp like i've been doing with themes BUT i'm assuming that components and plugins are a little more complicated and most do not include manual install directions ie. what goes where.

there must be a simple fix for this ---- its kinda pi$$in me off.

joomla 1.51 btw

tia for any assistance

lmiksch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: can't change permissions via ftp

Post by lmiksch » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:40 pm

I had the same problem. Turns out that when Joomla installs things - it assigns them to the root user. (Certainly, not my preference and I have been unable to find anywhere to change the owner designation I normally use.)

The reason you have been unable to change the properties in your ftp program - is because whichever user you have logged in as - is not the owner of the file.

I have no idea as to where you are hosted and what rules go along with your service. I have shell authorization and had to go in as the root user and change the ownership on the directories to match the ftp level I routinely use. (I do not have access to my root directories through ftp).

Once ownership has been changed - you should be able to change your properties without a problem.

Geoff
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Geoff » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:43 pm

In your J! Global Configuration, is FTP enabled or disabled? If it is disabled, fill out the details required and enable it. Then try installing things again.
Backup, backup, backup!
The "Master" .htacess file by Nicholas http://snipt.net/nikosdion/the-master-htaccess

teros0805
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by teros0805 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:56 am

igeoffi wrote:In your J! Global Configuration, is FTP enabled or disabled? If it is disabled, fill out the details required and enable it. Then try installing things again.
unfortunately enabling the ftp layer causes many more issues.....apparently i'm not alone, i've been reading thru MANY MANY posts for a few hrs where others can't install extensions with ftp enabled.
jftp errors, extension installation errors (unable to find install package) and so on.

seems like a classic catch22 - if i try with the ftp layer i have problems just installing anything (templates, modules, plugins, components) but if i disable ftp i can install but then i can't change the permissions via ftp which will allow me to edit any files.

surely there has GOT TO BE a way to keep joomla from locking me out of my own files when i install add-ons without using the ftp layer ?!

jeez, i just want to install a component or plugin and then be able to edit the css files, or on rare ocassions hack a php file to suit my needs !! >:(

lmiksch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lmiksch » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:15 pm

Doesn't look like you checked the ownership yet! Read back a few posts.

teros0805
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by teros0805 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:34 pm

lmiksch wrote:Doesn't look like you checked the ownership yet! Read back a few posts.
went thru whm and changed ownership to the same as the domain owner which should match my ftp login info.
so far it doesnt seem to have made any difference at all....maybe i'm missing something still - i'm inexperienced at this type of thing.

i'll try uninstalling and reinstalling a component now that i've tried to fix the ownership issue and see if that helps.
i'm not optimistic tho.

i've spent the last 10-12 hrs on this....its times like these that i wonder if i'd have been better off trying drupal, cms made simple, mod-x or something else BUT i have spent the last month or so just learning my way around joomla and how it works in general, theming etc.. so i'm commited for now. it took a while but i'm beginning to see the potential that everybody talks about - i just think its rediculous that something that should be so simple, and is such an integral part of the script itself, can be so difficult and complicated to get to functioning correctly.

teros0805
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by teros0805 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:17 pm

fanfriggintastic.....i finally got mine to work. :D

i tossed in the towel on the changing the ownership appraoch and went back to trying to get the ftp layer to work again.
after trying every combination of ftp, ftp root, tmp path etc.. i finally focused on the tmp path and found the one that saved the day, at least for me.

/home/my ftp username/public_html/joomla/tmp

i just hope my initial excitement isnt premature but i have installed 1 component and 1 plugin and verified that i can, indeed, change permissions on the files they created using my ftp client.

dazeal7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dazeal7 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:13 pm

I just came to the forums to post about this annoying problem. Teros, what if you need to write to the root and not the temp, does that work for you? Also, what if you have more than one person on the project? I guess you'll just have to login using one of the team member's names. The bad thing about this is you can not track as to who did what, since you'll always be logged in as one of your team members.

I hope someone posts a real fix for this or it is fixed in the next update because it is becoming very annoying to upload a mod and lose W permissions.

Thanks to all who are posting their info here! :)

dazeal7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dazeal7 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:46 pm

I spoke with our admin and thisis what he said, if it helps:

All the directories are assigned to the user apache and the group users. The problem is that when installing a new extension the umask is set to user+rwx,group+r,other+r so even though bkirkland is a member of users the g+r isn't cutting it. Joomla 1.0 had a umask configuration thing in it I don't know why it did not make it into 1.5.

dazeal7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dazeal7 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:50 am

Can we get an admin to post something on this please? :) It just seems crazy to have the write permissions removed every time you upload a mod. Using the back end FTP service doesn't quite fix the problem either.

webmason
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by webmason » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:09 pm

dazeal7 wrote:Can we get an admin to post something on this please? :) It just seems crazy to have the write permissions removed every time you upload a mod. Using the back end FTP service doesn't quite fix the problem either.
I'll second that!

rdbranson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rdbranson » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:54 am

Teros,

If you have something working, can you tell us exactly what your ftp layer setup looks like?

Can you look at the configuration.php file and also tell us what operating system you are using?

Thx,

RDB

dazeal7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dazeal7 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:46 pm

I had our admin set up the back end ftp layer as my username and password, which works great, but we have other people working on this project too. I guess I'll give them my name and pw :) lol

teros0805
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by teros0805 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:55 am

rdbranson wrote:Teros,

If you have something working, can you tell us exactly what your ftp layer setup looks like?

Can you look at the configuration.php file and also tell us what operating system you are using?

Thx,

RDB
ftp etc info looks like this:

var $tmp_path = '/home/swampbra/public_html/joomla/tmp';

var $ftp_enable = '1';
var $ftp_host = 'ftp.swampbrain.com';
var $ftp_port = '21';
var $ftp_user = 'myftpusername';
var $ftp_pass = 'myftppassword';
var $ftp_root = '/';

i think 1 of the keys was the full path to temp variable..
this 1 is intalled 1 level off the root hence the joomla in the temp path

having explained this i should mention that it seems i've continued to have intermittent probs and so far a new install for a 2nd site, installed on root, does not seem to be working right using the same settings.
frankly - i'm still po'ed that installation and and configuration of the most basic of functions is such a pain in the a$$ and inevitable leads to many long hrs of forum searches and trial and error......i'm no coder or any kind of expert but i don't understand why joomla, out of the box, can't do what every other php script i've tried (wp, ipb, phpbb etc..etc..) seem to be able to do = install cleanly and allow for (fairly) straightforward expansion thru plugins/modules and editing of files. all the power and potential in the world is of little use if you can't get the thing running without major headaches.

webmason
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by webmason » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:32 pm

Once ownership has been changed - you should be able to change your properties without a problem.
My host said that sometimes Joomla requires nobody/nobody (root) for ownership, otherwise some components will break.

1. Is that true?
2. Does anyone know if this is true specifically for Sobi2?

Tom

laughingbuddha
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by laughingbuddha » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:48 pm

Not sure if this is solved or not, but I have had the issue for a while and wanted to post my fix.

At first with previous releases I have been chmod the directories I use (images, templates, modules) to 777 as a work around, but I noticed on a recent 1.5.2 Joomla install that even though I have been requesting the FTP Layer to be activated in the installed, it hasn't been saving it to the configuration file even though the permissions on the configuration file are set to 777 during the install.

So I entered the details again in Gobal Configuration, setting the FTP Host to localhost, and the FTP Root to /httpdocs (on previous releases it has autodetect a differnt directory even though its the same server).

This seems to work as I have since uploaded and installed a template with no errors.....HURRAH!!!! And all directories still have the standard permisions of 755.

I'm running a WebFusion (Pipex) UK VPS with Plesk 7.5 control panel, 31 active domains online, and 4 Joomla installs. Soon to setup a dedicated Plesk 8.3 UK server with latest PHP and MySQL.

It works like a charm and my faith in Joomla is restored. All I need now is templates that look good and I don't have join some club to get :D

Matt
[removed self-promotion]

igeoffi mod edit: removed self promotion
Last edited by Geoff on Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed self promotion

andras
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by andras » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:41 am

Matt, check if you can install also plugins! On a test install I also could install templates, but not plugins... :(

jwe72
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jwe72 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:26 pm

I have been told that this is a php problem. php4 (and below I guess) assign all ftp-transactions to "nobody" but php5 uses the right username and also sets the right owner of the files.

Geoff
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Geoff » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:49 pm

jwe72 wrote:I have been told that this is a php problem
It isn't a php problem. It depends on how your host sets php to run as.
A common PHP installation runs as "nobody". Usually what happens is when you upload a file via a php webform is that it is then assigned to "nobody."
Backup, backup, backup!
The "Master" .htacess file by Nicholas http://snipt.net/nikosdion/the-master-htaccess

livemixlove
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by livemixlove » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:31 pm

I found I could work around this problem by changing the folder name (essentially breaking the link to the original folder) that has the broken permissions. Then download it, re-upload it, and the permissions are fixed.

webmason
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by webmason » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:33 pm

livemixlove wrote:I found I could work around this problem by changing the folder name (essentially breaking the link to the original folder) that has the broken permissions. Then download it, re-upload it, and the permissions are fixed.
Brilliant

dineshholness
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dineshholness » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:42 am

I solved this problem with essentially the same principle.

1. I downloaded the configuration.php file. I opened it in dream weaver (perhaps you can also do this in a simple text editor) and changed the ftp Host to local host.

2. I then renamed the "configuration.php" file which was still on the server to configuration1.php.
3. Finally I uploaded the "configuration.php" with the changed ftp host (localhost) back to my public.html directory.

It works really well. This means that the original config file (now configuration1.php) is still there along with the new config file. I left the orginal there just in case.....

Hope you guys find this helpful.

eabittner
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by eabittner » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:56 am

Hi, Just wanted to say that I followed what Teros did with the ftp in the configuration.php file and it has solved my permissions issues :)

Bobilya
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bobilya » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:03 pm

It still did not work for me - I've spent hours reading posts and documentation and none of the solutions has worked for me. I'm a relative newbie to joomla and CMS, but not to web site building.

I am trying to work with joomlapack 1.2b1 (I tried 1.1.1 first) with joomla 1.5.3 stable on Go Daddy server

Initially both Temporary and Output directories were not writable in joomlapack.

when I 'enabled' FTP the Temporary and Output directories WERE writable, But the program stopped prematurely during the backup with an error message: access denied to the stats folder. Interestingly, it created a zip file in the backup directory, but the premature termination is troubling.

When I modified the configuration.php file to assign the ftp host = localhost and went to the component, it indicated both the Temporary and Output directories were not writable.

about to give up................ :(

Are there any other suggestions?

writer245
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by writer245 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:22 am

I think I've found a workaround.

Assumptions:
* Joomla 1.5.2.
* Uploading templates via .zip files

I, too, was wanting to upload a canned template and alter the graphics. I, too, was frustrated by the inability to edit the existing graphics files, even though I had tried to CHMOD to 777. After reading this thread, I tried the following and it worked.

1) I went into the control panel and temporarily switched to another template, any other template than the one that I wanted to use.

2) I then uninstalled the template that I was hoping to use.

3) Back on my local workstation, I unzipped the template.zip file that I was working with. Then, I altered the various graphic files on my local workstation using the exact same names for each altered graphic. Then, I rezipped them into template.zip, with exactly the same names for everything.

4) I then went back into the Template Installer and installed the altered template.zip file. My altered graphics appeared there without a hitch.

Notes: I assume that the graphics need to be exactly the same dimensions as the originals to avoid formatting problems.

Thanks to everyone for putting your hearts into this thread. After reading it, I was able to figure out this workaround.

Regards,

Robert

Meshach
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Meshach » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:01 am

FileZilla makes it easy to CHMOD Permissions on a file: Just right-click on the file and select file attributes and check and uncheck the ones you want.

-Meshach
Kind Regards,
Meshach

dcyc88
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dcyc88 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:51 am

I had the same problem.
I installed thru my host's Fantastico.

I cannot chmod using ftp or cpanel's file manager.

But i found out that i can do it in eXplorer.

Don't know why yet, but that's the method i'll use for now.

dcyc88
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dcyc88 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:53 am

sorry, a missplelling... it should be eXtplorer.
one of the plugins i downloaded from the Joomla site.
Hope this helps someone.

Oceanwatcher
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Oceanwatcher » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:50 am

I just posted some things I found regarding problems with rights in a different CMS. Could it be that Joomla suffers from the same problem?

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 7#p1461417
Regards,

Svein, aka. Oceanwatcher
My pictures: http://www.oceanwatcher.com/
Google+ profile: https://plus.google.com/107257551033066634962

brentwilliams2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by brentwilliams2 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:36 pm

For what it's worth, I tried all the above suggestions and the only thing that worked for me was installing eXtplorer, which seemed to work fine...

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”