XML parsing error? mismatched tags

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
PapaLion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

XML parsing error? mismatched tags

Post by PapaLion » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:27 pm

I use J1.5.6 and I recently noticed a new error when I use Admin/Extentions & when I bring up Template manager or ModuleManager/Module (edit) for any module. This error shows up in both areas (Template Manager & Module(edit) when I use certain templates. With the Default template the error is on Template Manager page only, & not on any of the Module (edit) pages. Plug ins and Language are not affected.

XML Parsing Error at 42:2. Error 7: mismatched tag

It refers to the last line of my templateDetails.xml file for my custom template. That error line stays the same regardless of the template in use. All seems to be working ok? no fuctional errors noted yet?

I would appreciate some direction on what this error refers to? and how I might approach repair.
thanks much

Chris Davenport
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: XML parsing error? mismatched tags

Post by Chris Davenport » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:43 pm

You have an error in your templateDetails.xml file. For a "mismatched tag" you should be looking for a <tag> element that is being terminated by something other than </tag>. Remember that XML is case-sensitive, so <Tag> ... </tag> will throw an error as well as <something> .... </something-else>. A common mistake is to omit the "/" from the end tag.

If you can't see it then post your templateDetails.xml here and we can check it for you.

Regards,
Chris.
Chris Davenport

Davenport Technology Services http://www.davenporttechnology.com/
Lion Coppice http://www.lioncoppice.org/

PapaLion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PapaLion » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:50 am

Thank you much. For some reason in my zeal to mess about with the template files... learning in my sandbox/cloned site I somehow had added </install> at the end of the file, which should not have been there. I also had <params> at the end vice </params>... got that repaired and all is well. I have been following along reading and working with the EXCELLENT tutorial on template design tutorial provided in Joomla and just working thru each line to learn what it does and can do. Fascinating... this is a 'heavy" program, ah but I date myself there.
thanks again for your excellent ACE help.
PapaLion

salgadosomoza
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by salgadosomoza » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:00 am

Sweet Jesus! thank you chris! that was so helpful.
i had an unclosed "param" that has nothing to do there. I think i didnt see the matrix there..
best regards!

Carlos S.

viazalkina
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by viazalkina » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:46 am

I have the same problem. XML Parsing Error at 20:14. Error 76: Mismatched tag. Can you help me and chek my xml-file? Thanks.
templateDetails.xml
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fccruz85
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fccruz85 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:34 pm

Hola amigos mi problema es el mismo no ocurria pero desde hoy empezo a crearse pues mi error es este XML Parsing Error at 2:32. Error 76: Mismatched tag.

Segun su significado es que tiene un error de lectura en xml y no esta cerrada mi etiqueta, tengo la plantilla de rocktheme rt_solarsentinel_j15.
Saludos espero puedan ayudarme

biru32
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by biru32 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:25 pm

I realize this is a very old post, but to those who are still running a dinosaur site on 1.5.26, I thought I would offer my findings recently as I did on one of my 1.5.26 sites.

I was getting the parsing error: mismatched tags, but I didn't realize that the closing tag "/>" would generate the error as well. The templateDetails.xml file was the source of the error and the tag was the <param> tag. The developer used the /> tag to close the param tag. Why they didn't use the </param> instead I have no idea.

Either way, by replacing all of the /> tags with </param> solved the parsing issue.

Cheers!

Jason :)

biru32
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by biru32 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:35 am

So, I posted my results yesterday regarding my xml parsing error. It appears that the parsing error has returned. Therefore, I need help. I have tried and tried to figure this out, but the parsing error continues to appear.

Here is my templateDetails.xml details attached.

Here is my exact error: XML Parsing Error at 15:4. Error 7: mismatched tag

Any help is greatly appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

biru32
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by biru32 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:01 am

Bump people! Bump!

biru32
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by biru32 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:11 pm

No one has anything to offer on this?

biru32
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by biru32 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:20 am

biru32 wrote:So, I posted my results yesterday regarding my xml parsing error. It appears that the parsing error has returned. Therefore, I need help. I have tried and tried to figure this out, but the parsing error continues to appear.

Here is my templateDetails.xml details attached.

Here is my exact error: XML Parsing Error at 15:4. Error 7: mismatched tag

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ok, so I finally figured this out and if it helps someone down the road, then perfect. It turns out that some of the best practices changed within xml / php and this was causing the error.

The original line 1 code contained the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

I stumbled upon something within this forum: http://board.phpbuilder.com/showthread. ... d-T_string

The entire reason I started to look down this path was thanks to Coda and the Plugin PHP & Web Toolkit and Tidy PHP function which kept noting that there was a parsing error on line 1.

I simply changed the line 1 code to this:

<?php echo '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8">'; ?>

ERROR GONE! After months of the scratching my head.

:pop

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”