Remove Menu Alias "Home"

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
burnedscott
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Remove Menu Alias "Home"

Post by burnedscott » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:33 pm

In the home page menu link the alias for it is "home" therefore when it is clicked you are taken to www.sitename.com/home instead of www.sitename.com is there a way to remove the "home" from the alias so it just links directly to the main page?

when i try to remove it home just appears again, i tried to change it to a # and / but the alias became the date.

Since the /home is rather annoying (shows as home on search engine rather than page name thats been set, and also places a page header saying "Home" at the top)

donnan
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Remove Menu Alias "Home"

Post by donnan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:46 pm

Have you checked the url linked the to the main menu item "Home". Or it may also be appearing in your configuration.php as your "live site".

Cheers
Paul :pop

burnedscott
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by burnedscott » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:45 am

Its the Menu link thats set to "Home" since i cant change the links alias im just wondering if theres any value i can put in the alias box so the alias is blank, since it wont let me make it blank, it will only let me change it. the normal site address works its just when you click the Home on the menu it does that.

teresap989
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by teresap989 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:45 am

burnedscott wrote:In the home page menu link the alias for it is "home" therefore when it is clicked you are taken to http://www.sitename.com/home instead of http://www.sitename.com is there a way to remove the "home" from the alias so it just links directly to the main page?

when i try to remove it home just appears again, i tried to change it to a # and / but the alias became the date.

Since the /home is rather annoying (shows as home on search engine rather than page name thats been set, and also places a page header saying "Home" at the top)
I also think so.

***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****______
watch free movies online

burnedscott
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by burnedscott » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:45 pm

so there is nothing that can be added to the alias box to remove the extra "home" that appears in the address bar when i click home on the menu then i assume? :/

baggiesmad
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by baggiesmad » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:57 pm

Im also having the same problem. Both URL's have been indexed in google.

I have the default Joomla SEF URL's switched on and I've setup a redirect in the htaccess file to redirect...

www.mysite.co.uk/home to www.mysite.co.uk

How can I hide the 'home' alias from the menu item?

C0nw0nk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by C0nw0nk » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:23 am

I have also found this issue woundering if there is a fix there must be because it was not doing it before when i used a rockettheme template.

rico_bonito
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rico_bonito » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:54 pm

Hi guys very simple. Go to your mysql database, then jos_menu and edit the row for Home
in there remove the alias and safe your changes.

That's it you good to go. Also note that having multiple urls with same content can get you in trouble. Google/Search engines don't like that and might penalize you.

djcesar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by djcesar » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:09 pm

rico_bonito wrote:Hi guys very simple. Go to your mysql database, then jos_menu and edit the row for Home
in there remove the alias and safe your changes.

That's it you good to go. Also note that having multiple urls with same content can get you in trouble. Google/Search engines don't like that and might penalize you.
it not works for me :S any other way?

nibelungen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nibelungen » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:13 pm

You need to remove the entry for the path:

Go to your database, then go to table [your-database-prefix]_menu and find your menu item you want to edit (The one with the "Home" title). Delete the entry for the path (The computed path of the menu item based on the alias field).

jfer3
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by jfer3 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:19 am

this has not worked for me guys.
I've removed the path and also the alias from the database, with no luck. The home in the URL still exists.

FYI: I am using joomla 3.6!

Can anyone please help ?

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”